Door Protection.

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Door Protection.

#1 Postby OuterBanker » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:19 pm

All right, I have either roll downs or Dade alum storm panels on all my windows. But my doors have none (other than dead bolts and storm doors). One of my doors upstairs opens onto a deck and has no storm door because it opens out. I was cleaning the door the other day and washed it with a hose and to my surprise it was wet on the inside of the door. I know I have to replace the weather stripping, but what else can be done to a door and still allow access. I know if a door blows in during a hurricane the results could be catastrophic.
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby dizzyfish » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:22 pm

I'm not an expert by any means - but what we came up with is to use slide bolts mounted on the inside of the door that when "locked" slide up into the frame around the door. I'm sure it isn't the best idea out there but I haven't come up with anything else yet. I guess you could put a bar across the whole dang door and have it slide into some type of eyelets on either side of the door.

Neat product I saw on tv the other day (haven't found it yet at Lowes or Home Depot yet) is made by DAP - Seal and Peel caulk. We had an issue with water intrusion during Jeanne around our front door I'm gonna get some of that stuff and put it around the door next time. It supposedly just peels off but does make a tight seal.

Good luck. If you come up with a better idea for "bolting" your door please post it here. Always looking for better ideas. :)
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Cookiely » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:09 pm

I have a question? Would the security sticks you place on doors against home invasion be adequate in a hurricane along with the dead bolt and door lock?
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”