Angry at HOA !!

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Angry at HOA !!

#1 Postby SouthFloridawx » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:51 pm

I am currently renting a condo in Delray Beach and I had an opportunity to speak with one of the Members on the board. The reason I am angry is we got into the discussion of hurricanes and I said that yeah I can't afford shutters so I'll probably put up plywood instead. Well she proceeded to tell me that I was not allowed to put up plywood in the event of a tropical storm or hurricane and if we did put up shutters they have to be approved by the HOA first. I live on the east side where there is nothing blocking the winds from blowing directly into both of the bedroom windows. I didn't argue with her but, I am very upset about it. I do not have 100's of dollars to spend on shutters for my windows. I WILL NOT LEAVE THEM UNPROTECTED LEAVING ME AND MY GIRLFRIEND AT RISK OF BEING IN GRAVE DANGER.

She then proceeded to tell me a "weather enthusiast" that I probably wouldn't need them cause she didn't have any problems during wilma just her screening on her porch blown away. So we wouldn't need them anyway. I was thinking to myself as I was looking at the place across the street that has small trailers (office buildings) and a wood yard there... thinking well B#$%H you don't have to worry about it cause your on the opposite side of me. THE IGNORANCE OF SOME PEOPLE. The reason why they don't allow it is because they don't want holes in the exterior walls after the storm passes.... WHAT CAN I DO?. :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr:
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Aquawind » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:47 pm

That would make me mad as well.. Most of these developments are controlled by either corporations or a real stupid group of old geezers disturbed if we don't all look the same and get in line. Ugh.. There is probably not much you can do but you could show your lease to a lawyer and see if a they could put pressue on the management. Or just a premature evacuation every time a threat is on the horizon.. :roll:
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Cookiely » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:54 pm

Found this concerning Florida law and Condos.

Q: We live in a small condominium association. I cannot find anything in our documents or the rules that we are not allowed to use plywood on our windows during a hurricane. We have put them up in the past years but now the board says that we cannot use plywood. To purchase shutters is an expense we do not feel we need. We put the plywood up before the storm and remove it the next morning or when ever the winds died down.

A: The Florida Statutes, 718.113(5), say the board shall adopt hurricane shutter specifications. They should include the color, style, and other factors deemed relevant by the board to comply with building code and building design. The board may be required to comply with insurance requirements and local building codes in order to obtain insurance coverage. In that case, the board can approve provision in the condominium documents that normally requires the members to approve such changes. A board shall not refuse to approve the installation or replacement of hurricane shutters conforming to the specifications adopted by the board (FS 718.113) and complies with the building codes. As to plywood, unless it is properly installed, it may not provide sufficient protection and can be ripped off and become a flying missile, causing additional damage.
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby SouthFloridawx » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:06 pm

Cookiely wrote:Found this concerning Florida law and Condos.

Q: We live in a small condominium association. I cannot find anything in our documents or the rules that we are not allowed to use plywood on our windows during a hurricane. We have put them up in the past years but now the board says that we cannot use plywood. To purchase shutters is an expense we do not feel we need. We put the plywood up before the storm and remove it the next morning or when ever the winds died down.

A: The Florida Statutes, 718.113(5), say the board shall adopt hurricane shutter specifications. They should include the color, style, and other factors deemed relevant by the board to comply with building code and building design. The board may be required to comply with insurance requirements and local building codes in order to obtain insurance coverage. In that case, the board can approve provision in the condominium documents that normally requires the members to approve such changes. A board shall not refuse to approve the installation or replacement of hurricane shutters conforming to the specifications adopted by the board (FS 718.113) and complies with the building codes. As to plywood, unless it is properly installed, it may not provide sufficient protection and can be ripped off and become a flying missile, causing additional damage.

Well thanks to all the people who can't put plywood up in a proper fashion. So what am I supposed to do... evacuate and leave all my stuff here. I sure as hell am not staying in this place without shutters on.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#5 Postby GalvestonDuck » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:24 pm

By all means, get renter's insurance to cover your stuff.

When I rented an apartment here in Galveston, I was told the same thing (sort of) -- not that I couldn't use plywood, but that they (the management) would take care of doing the boarding. After all, it's their building so it's their job to protect it. Take care of insuring your contents. I have $20,000 worth of coverage for less than $25 per month (probably need more, but it'll cover the essentials).

If you evacuate, take what you can of the irreplacables. As far as furniture, dishes, electronics, most clothes, etc. go, the insurance should take care of that if there is a loss.
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Cookiely » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:42 am

GalvestonDuck wrote:By all means, get renter's insurance to cover your stuff.

When I rented an apartment here in Galveston, I was told the same thing (sort of) -- not that I couldn't use plywood, but that they (the management) would take care of doing the boarding. After all, it's their building so it's their job to protect it. Take care of insuring your contents. I have $20,000 worth of coverage for less than $25 per month (probably need more, but it'll cover the essentials).

If you evacuate, take what you can of the irreplacables. As far as furniture, dishes, electronics, most clothes, etc. go, the insurance should take care of that if there is a loss.

Thanks for bringing the matter of renters insurance up GalvestonDuck. I got renters insurance for the contents of the house this year, and even though I'm not in a flood plain the area had some extensive flooding during an El Nino year so I bought the flood insurance which was pretty cheap. I really need to talk to my aunt about this as she lives in a rented condo on a Lake which is just a few steps from her sliding glass doors. I still don't understand the Condo Boards attitude. I would think they would want the property protected anyway you could unless they are going to do it themselves which most aren't.
PS Make sure you get replacement value on the insurance otherwise they depreciate the cost. I think I said that right.
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby SouthFloridawx » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:10 pm

Yeah I currently have 50,000 of coverage on all my stuff. But, I would like to prevent if possible my stuff from getting damaged. The insurance company is going to want to know if I took the proper precautions in order to secure the property from allowing winds to damage the condo. But, my policy expires in august so I just might pick up another policy very soon so that it overlaps my current one.. so i'm not trying to get one when a storm is imminent.

STILL VERY ANGRY AT THE HOA.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby beachbum_al » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:01 pm

I don't know about Florida Laws but in Alabama my inlaws have a condo on the beach side facing the Gulf of Mexico. My husband's aunt and uncle also have two places on the beach side facing the Gulf of Mexico. Last year when Katrina was coming through we boarded up my inlaws condo with plywood and it was fine. We boarded up my aunt at Pelican Pointe and the front windows which face the Gulf of Mexico and it was fine. Shutters cost a lot. Of course we would love to have them but sometimes there are other things that come first.
0 likes   

melhow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby melhow » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:33 am

Hey Duck...

Are you the member who hung dog-ear 6 foot fencing over your sliders a few years back? I remember a poster sharing some photos of the handywork on here, but I can't remember who. For some reason your ringing a bell. In any case, I thought it was a clever idea for sliding glass door protection...
0 likes   

Roxy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Roxy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:35 am

Holes on the exterior? What the?

Use plylox, no holes.

Just put the dang plywood up and if they don't like it they can come take it down in the middle of a storm. That's how I'd handle it.
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby SouthFloridawx » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:17 pm

Roxy wrote:Holes on the exterior? What the?

Use plylox, no holes.

Just put the dang plywood up and if they don't like it they can come take it down in the middle of a storm. That's how I'd handle it.

what the .... is pylox?
0 likes   

Hurricanebob
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Angry at HOA !!

#12 Postby Hurricanebob » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:28 am

SouthFloridawx wrote:I am currently renting a condo in Delray Beach and I had an opportunity to speak with one of the Members on the board. The reason I am angry is we got into the discussion of hurricanes and I said that yeah I can't afford shutters so I'll probably put up plywood instead. Well she proceeded to tell me that I was not allowed to put up plywood in the event of a tropical storm or hurricane and if we did put up shutters they have to be approved by the HOA first. I live on the east side where there is nothing blocking the winds from blowing directly into both of the bedroom windows. I didn't argue with her but, I am very upset about it. I do not have 100's of dollars to spend on shutters for my windows. I WILL NOT LEAVE THEM UNPROTECTED LEAVING ME AND MY GIRLFRIEND AT RISK OF BEING IN GRAVE DANGER.

She then proceeded to tell me a "weather enthusiast" that I probably wouldn't need them cause she didn't have any problems during wilma just her screening on her porch blown away. So we wouldn't need them anyway. I was thinking to myself as I was looking at the place across the street that has small trailers (office buildings) and a wood yard there... thinking well B#$%H you don't have to worry about it cause your on the opposite side of me. THE IGNORANCE OF SOME PEOPLE. The reason why they don't allow it is because they don't want holes in the exterior walls after the storm passes.... WHAT CAN I DO?. :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr:

Go to your local home improvement, they sell clips rather than anchors... they perform quite well and don't tear it up.

With respect to your condo.... I'd personally cover myself by taking a letter and have her sign it stating you were not allowed to protect your investment. Tell them that the insurance company will question the fact you didn't do anything to protect life and property by not securing your posessions. Say that when the place is destroyed by a object hurled through a window that could have been protected, you want to lessen your liability for insurance problems.

lol

Seriously though, that sucks! I never knew they could "stop" someone from protecting their posessions. Even in apartments, they often allow things like that and if they don't then they have their own contingency.

bob
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#13 Postby Dionne » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:04 am

I could show you dozens of places that had "fancy" shutters prior to Katrina and it didn't make a darned bit of difference. I could also show you some lexan panels that I installed.....which did survive the wind driven debris.

If your a renter and the owner/agent doesn't have any concern for protection of the property.......I wouldn't worry about their shortcomings. Just make sure you have an evacuation plan. And once your in the landfall cone....implement your plan.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#14 Postby GalvestonDuck » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:11 pm

melhow wrote:

Hey Duck...

Are you the member who hung dog-ear 6 foot fencing over your sliders a few years back? I remember a poster sharing some photos of the handywork on here, but I can't remember who. For some reason your ringing a bell. In any case, I thought it was a clever idea for sliding glass door protection...

Nope, 'twasn't me. I've been a renter the whole 9 years I've lived here. Always protected "stuff" and let the landlord take care of the property.
0 likes   

cmdebbie
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#15 Postby cmdebbie » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:29 am

As a Licensed Community Association Manager (CAM) in the state of Florida let me offer some insight....The HOA can stop you from putting holes in the building (they are responsible for the upkeep on the outside of the building and inside the walls to the drywall). However, they must allow you to install the type of shutters that they have chosen. I like the idea someone had about getting them to sign a letter. I am not completely sure, but I think they could possibly be held resposible if they did not allow plywood to be put up with plylox. If I were their manager, I would advise them not to take on that risk. IMO nobody should ever stop someone from attempting to protect life or property as long as it is not damaging their property and the rules are followed (i.e. not attached to building, must be taken down within a certain timeframe, etc.) Hope this helped some. I am going to do a little research and try to give you a more definative answer.
0 likes   

Roxy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby Roxy » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:19 am

SouthFloridawx wrote:

Use plylox, no holes.

what the .... is pylox?

http://www.plylox.com/
0 likes   

Roxy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby Roxy » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:19 am

SouthFloridawx wrote:

Use plylox, no holes.

what the .... is pylox?

http://www.plylox.com/
0 likes   

Hurricanebob
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby Hurricanebob » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:29 am

cmdebbie wrote:As a Licensed Community Association Manager (CAM) in the state of Florida let me offer some insight....The HOA can stop you from putting holes in the building (they are responsible for the upkeep on the outside of the building and inside the walls to the drywall). However, they must allow you to install the type of shutters that they have chosen. I like the idea someone had about getting them to sign a letter. I am not completely sure, but I think they could possibly be held resposible if they did not allow plywood to be put up with plylox. If I were their manager, I would advise them not to take on that risk. IMO nobody should ever stop someone from attempting to protect life or property as long as it is not damaging their property and the rules are followed (i.e. not attached to building, must be taken down within a certain timeframe, etc.) Hope this helped some. I am going to do a little research and try to give you a more definative answer.

That was me about the letter... Interesting post, it is greatly appreciated epecially since the only time our HOA meets is when they vote to allow someone to buy/sell. Therefore it is like impossible to get an answer, BUT for me, I'm doing the bare minimum since a good deal of it is luck, especially if you life in a condo where you might be the only one to prepare. Nonetheless, doing nothing is likened to neglecting the situation.

I thought condo life would be different, so far it is aggrivation. I should have researched it better than just using my eyes to gauge the quality.

FYI, my insurance for home is worse here than it was in my house in the same county because I live on the ground floor (that was what I was told); that when the storm surge comes in, I'll be plastered. Flood insurance one level up is 1/2..I was told that anyway.. Is there any truth to that? I'd love to know!

bob
0 likes   

invictus61101
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#19 Postby invictus61101 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:28 pm

I agree. I'd just put the plywood up anyway.
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#20 Postby wayoutfront » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:43 pm

SouthFloridawx wrote:Yeah I currently have 50,000 of coverage on all my stuff. But, I would like to prevent if possible my stuff from getting damaged. The insurance company is going to want to know if I took the proper precautions in order to secure the property from allowing winds to damage the condo. But, my policy expires in august so I just might pick up another policy very soon so that it overlaps my current one.. so i'm not trying to get one when a storm is imminent.

STILL VERY ANGRY AT THE HOA.

your wrong about that.

as a renter . you can only get coverage for your personal property. The condo owner has a HO6 policy to cover the parts of the condo he is responsible for . and the condo has a commercial policy .

You are not on the list as far as who is responsible for mitigating damages, as you have no say so on protecting the dwelling.

All you should concern yourself with is your personal property and are you adequately covered ? The insurance carrier will never ask you to mitigate damages on this type of policy.

signed

Insurance adjuster.

PS
I know you don't want to hear the truth...........but
if you start drilling Holes, installing plywood etc. on someones elses property. You would be liable for the expense of repairing to it the original condition.

Basically if you don't own it. Don't touch it. sorry thats just the way it is
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”