Angry at HOA !!

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#21 Postby angelwing » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:42 am

I do not live in a hurricane prone area per se, but I do rent and where I am at we are not allowed to hang anything on the outside either, however, when Floyd was coming thru here (and there was another one way prior, I think it was Gloria, can't remember)what we did was hang plywood on the inside, we just drilled holes on the walls on the inside and boarded it that way and then later just filled the holes with hole filler and when we painted you would never know that anything was there....is that a possiblility for you? Our lease states that we can hang pictures on the walls, etc, as long as when we leave we take care of the holes and paint
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby SouthFloridawx » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:08 am

angelwing wrote:I do not live in a hurricane prone area per se, but I do rent and where I am at we are not allowed to hang anything on the outside either, however, when Floyd was coming thru here (and there was another one way prior, I think it was Gloria, can't remember)what we did was hang plywood on the inside, we just drilled holes on the walls on the inside and boarded it that way and then later just filled the holes with hole filler and when we painted you would never know that anything was there....is that a possiblility for you? Our lease states that we can hang pictures on the walls, etc, as long as when we leave we take care of the holes and paint

First of all I want to thank you all for your comments... thanks for the insight mr. insurance dude. That is a good idea angelwing but, I am wondering how helpful it would be and how far I would have to drill in order to get past the blue board. I don't want to drill screws into nothingness and then if the windows break just plyboard just fall into the house. Perhaps I can use some type of long/deep anchors. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#23 Postby CajunMama » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:30 am

Plywood on the inside of the windows isn't going to do you any good. Whatever object that is forcefully blown against the window, strong enough to break it will surely do some damage to the plywood and possibly to you. You would be in more danger because the wind and/or object is pushing the window & plywood in and the way the plywood is anchored, the nails/screws will probably just pop right out.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby angelwing » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:39 am

Was just a thought, since we hardly get anything up here it worked for us..hurricane winds in Philly are few and far between, but since we are looking to move south soon, thank you for the info here on this topic, it will be another thing to take into consideration.
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby SouthFloridawx » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:53 am

CajunMama wrote:Plywood on the inside of the windows isn't going to do you any good. Whatever object that is forcefully blown against the window, strong enough to break it will surely do some damage to the plywood and possibly to you. You would be in more danger because the wind and/or object is pushing the window & plywood in and the way the plywood is anchored, the nails/screws will probably just pop right out.

Kathy I'm just not sure what to do about this cause there is no way I can afford to buy hurricane shutters and don't want to because I'm a renter. My landlord is not going to pay for them either. I suppose I will just have to let him know that I will put up plywood regardless of what they say. Maybe I can talk him into something.
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby CentralFlGal » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:30 am

How about appealing to his sense of protecting his investment 8-)
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby SouthFloridawx » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:32 am

CentralFlGal wrote:How about appealing to his sense of protecting his investment 8-)

He's too cheap to do that... :lol:
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby CentralFlGal » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:37 am

LOL

I can imagine how frustrating this is for you. Is a move to another location doable? It's not worth the stress you're going through, he doesn't care, and you know that storm preparation is important. Just something to consider, and certainly doesn't help you with the situation you're currently in.
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#29 Postby wayoutfront » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:43 pm

MY advice to you in this sitiuation.

Identify the valuables you can't live without. and find a way to take them with you. If there is a cane heading to Delray Beach that could significantly damage your condo. Most likey you would have to (should) evacuate anyway. Put the furniture you want to proctect in interior rooms ( or as far away from the windows as possible) and up on top of styrofoam pad about 2 inches high, then cover with plastic cover and secure it.

Anything that is damaged would be covered.

what exactly is it your trying to protect? your property or your pride?
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Aquawind » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:27 pm

Woah. What is your problem? Why can't he protect both like we all would? You tell him the truth is not what he want's to hear and then end up getting lippy about his intentions! After all it's not just the possessions here it's the possible extended displacement because of not having proper protection.. Renter or not I wouldn't want to have to live in a FEMA trailer etc.. and wait for repairs because the owner would not let me prevent the wind and rain from penetrating into the residence. Furthermore the stress of physical displacement and having to simply file a claim could be deterred by having that protection and avoiding all of the issues with displacement. Here you are a supposed professional in the insurance field and yet you are jumping in and questioning a persons intentions on protecting himself. I think that is inappropriate but probably standard for the insurance industry..nice representation there.. Disgusts me.. :x
0 likes   

Hurricanebob
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby Hurricanebob » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:55 pm

wayoutfront wrote:MY advice to you in this sitiuation.

Identify the valuables you can't live without. and find a way to take them with you. If there is a cane heading to Delray Beach that could significantly damage your condo. Most likey you would have to (should) evacuate anyway. Put the furniture you want to proctect in interior rooms ( or as far away from the windows as possible) and up on top of styrofoam pad about 2 inches high, then cover with plastic cover and secure it.

Anything that is damaged would be covered.

Okay, I have no interior rooms, all rooms have a view of the water or are open to the lenai w/double sliding doors. How would one protect their stuff IF they believe it is all important to them and they'd like to protect it. Also, how much does the insurance company pencil you if you don't have serial numbers, and also don't have pictures? I wonder how they'd react if I didn't take measures for protecting what they insure? OTHERWISE, the question begs, why can't you get homeowners insurance if you don't live in the house???? I'll tell you because I know first hand... they want yoiu to protect the posessions, the house and they figure you won't lift a finger to protect it if you don't live there... to me, that sounds like a double standard against homeowner/renter. I personally like the storm panels with plylox, that is if you live as I do on the ground floor.

arggggggggg whew, I'm done venting, ya it is irritating that the absolute policy of the insurance industry is so weak so as to undermine the less fortunate, and to charge those of us who CAN afford insurance to the degree we have to spend 1500 bucks a year on a wind policy, 800 on homeowners, and X number on flood (I forget the flood cost) and all have a 2500 deduct. That same year, cough cough USAA builds a MASSIVE beautiful and I do mean beautiful building here in florida with lakes all around it. HMMMMM where did that money come from. Meanwhile I have to go to the state for insurance because AllShaft has decided I am not good enough to be a customer in Florida.

Time and time again I read here in the St Pete Times about those of us who have had to completely drop homeowners on their paid in full home and go with nothing because it is not profitable enough for the insurance companies to give the elderly a break. Right now, it is becoming impossible to retire, move to florida and even live in a mobile home.

Sorry for venting, I just hated the negative perception and arogant remarks. Sorry for letting emotions dictate. ...

bob
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#32 Postby wayoutfront » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:14 pm

Aquawind wrote:

Woah. What is your problem? Why can't he protect both like we all would? You tell him the truth is not what he want's to hear and then end up getting lippy about his intentions! After all it's not just the possessions here it's the possible extended displacement because of not having proper protection.. Renter or not I wouldn't want to have to live in a FEMA trailer etc.. and wait for repairs because the owner would not let me prevent the wind and rain from penetrating into the residence. Furthermore the stress of physical displacement and having to simply file a claim could be deterred by having that protection and avoiding all of the issues with displacement. Here you are a supposed professional in the insurance field and yet you are jumping in and questioning a persons intentions on protecting himself. I think that is inappropriate but probably standard for the insurance industry..nice representation there.. Disgusts me.. :x

well if zI were to disect the thread I would start with the facts about the Insurance company would want to know why he didn't protect his property. which is not the case at all. the poster seems determined on winning the cause of plywood on the windows. He has NO choice in the matter. PERIOD even the condo owner themselve couldn't put plywood up without pretty steep consequences.

So I have to ask what are the intentions?
because instead of asking question on how to protect his property in his circumstance. he stays with putting up plywood .

My question on his intentions have nothing to do with being an adjuster near as much as it is being observant

Ok so he puts plywood up .... he's gonna get evicted, and most likely pay mucho dinero fixing the condo because of the damage HE created.

Now for your quote about my profession

What is your exprerience that qualifies you to give this poster HONEST FACTUAL ADVICE.

you all may live in a world of how things ought to be. My opinions are based on how they really are. I only spent the latter part of last year IN DELRAY beach.working with condo docs EVERY DAY.

so sue me for being straight forward and factual.

or I could get on the bandwagon
"YO dude" do what you want , your right ." he'll feel good for the moment and will be on the muddy end of the stick afterword.

A thimble full of fact is worth more than a Battleship full of empathy

You all make em "feel good"
I'm out
see you on the subrogation claim

[/b]
0 likes   

wayoutfront

#33 Postby wayoutfront » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:05 pm

Okay, I have no interior rooms, all rooms have a view of the water or are open to the lenai w/double sliding doors. How would one protect their stuff IF they believe it is all important to them and they'd like to protect it. Also, how much does the insurance company pencil you if you don't have serial numbers, and also don't have pictures? I wonder how they'd react if I didn't take measures for protecting what they insure? OTHERWISE, the question begs, why can't you get homeowners insurance if you don't live in the house???? I'll tell you because I know first hand... they want yoiu to protect the posessions, the house and they figure you won't lift a finger to protect it if you don't live there... to me, that sounds like a double standard against homeowner/renter. I personally like the storm panels with plylox, that is if you live as I do on the ground floor.

I agre its frustrating.
and sounds like you have a wonderful place
But I must make a few corrections to your facts

1) you can get HO's if you don't live in your house. But only the Homeowners personal property is covered. Read the policy

2) The insurance doesn't jam you on not having model and serial numbers. If you have a loss . Don't throw anything away until the Insurance company tells you to. The policys' have clear language on how loss's are settles, and its YOUR responsiblity to prove your loss. How can you Prove your loss if you can't provide certain information?

Its just good sense to take photos and inventory your posessions whether its fire theft hurricane whatever? I mean no one lies and tells an adjuster they just threw out a new 60inch flat screen TV , when in fact it was a 13 inch piece of crap.

3) As far as protecting what they insure. mitigating damages is an issue after a peril. If a hurricane blows your window in . You should reasonably protect your house from further damages.The POLICY clearly states they will reimburse all reasonable expenses to temporarily cover up those storm caused openings.

FOLKS FORGET Insurance policys ":indemnify" to certain perils . The insurance company after they write the policy have no interest until damages happen.

there are no requirements whatsoever for what an insured must do before a storm.
0 likes   

Hurricanebob
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby Hurricanebob » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:44 pm

wayoutfront wrote:

I agre its frustrating.
and sounds like you have a wonderful place
But I must make a few corrections to your facts

1) you can get HO's if you don't live in your house. But only the Homeowners personal property is covered. Read the policy

2) The insurance doesn't jam you on not having model and serial numbers. If you have a loss . Don't throw anything away until the Insurance company tells you to. The policys' have clear language on how loss's are settles, and its YOUR responsiblity to prove your loss. How can you Prove your loss if you can't provide certain information?

Its just good sense to take photos and inventory your posessions whether its fire theft hurricane whatever? I mean no one lies and tells an adjuster they just threw out a new 60inch flat screen TV , when in fact it was a 13 inch piece of crap.

3) As far as protecting what they insure. mitigating damages is an issue after a peril. If a hurricane blows your window in . You should reasonably protect your house from further damages.The POLICY clearly states they will reimburse all reasonable expenses to temporarily cover up those storm caused openings.

FOLKS FORGET Insurance policys ":indemnify" to certain perils . The insurance company after they write the policy have no interest until damages happen.

there are no requirements whatsoever for what an insured must do before a storm.

Outstanding post, THANK YOu!

Thanks once again,

bob
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby Aquawind » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:37 am

My question on his intentions have nothing to do with being an adjuster near as much as it is being observant

Clearly it does. You say it's just not near as much as being an observant. :roll: Giving factual information and working in the field does not give you the right to be rude. To imply that he would take no action is ridiculous. His intentions are to protect his property clearly and that was just one last jab for him questioning the situation period. You gave your professional advice and then decided to end in your personal jab.
0 likes   

VeniceInlet
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#36 Postby VeniceInlet » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:23 am

Wayoutfront could have been more tactful, but he/she is right. Reading this thread, I also got the impression that the poster just wanted reinforcement that putting up plywood come hell or high water (ha!) was the answer he/she wanted to receive instead of the "tough love" answer that wayoutfront gave about what was really the best route to follow for someone in these circumstances.

I own a couple of pieces of rental property and I can't afford to have shutters put up right now. I am not "cheap" at all, I'm just not in the best financial shape right now thanks to a renter I had to evict last year that caused me thousands in damage. So you never know what circumstances your landlord is in.

I have had prospective tenants ask me if I provide shutters or plywood and I have told them the truth, the answer is not at this time. In some cases it means they look elsewhere, that's their prerogative. I'd say if this is something really important than maybe it's worth looking at moving to a place that makes you feel a little more secure.
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#37 Postby SouthFloridawx » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:54 pm

Ok wow first of all I never expected to get the types of reactions that have been posted here. First of all wayoutfront, I appriciate the "Tough Love" but, I think you misread where I was going out with this. The day that I posted that I was pretty angry about it and needed to vent. Secondly I do not apprciate the fact that you were being rude with what you said to me. I do like the fact that you gave me your honest professional opinion about my situation.

I am not trying to do everything I can to be able to put plywood up no matter what. My intentions were to be able to post my thoughts and be able to get some helpful reactions as to what I should do and not be judged for what I am posting cause it is merely just a snap-shot of how I felt at that moment.

I have got to sit down and talk to my landlord last night about the situation and he totally agreed with me. BTW just because he's my landlord doesn't mean that I don't know him. I have known him for about 3 years and not just a landlord but, as a client and I do know how "cheap" he is. I have done the financing for all his investment properties trust me I know that he can be a little skimpy on the wallet. I do know his current financial situation because sometimes he vents to me. Anway I spoke with him last night and he told me not to worry about the homeowners association and to put the Plywood up before the storm. He is not going to pay for shutters as it is not equitable for him to do so. But, he wants first and foremost for the saftey of me and my girlfriend and said we would take care of any damage to the exterior due to screwing in the plywood. He has done home repairs for many years and knows how to take care of it (as per him).

Second of all I am not currently living in a flood zone so evacuations for me would not be in order nor would I evac unless it was a cat 4 or 5. I do live east of I-95 but, west of US-1. There is simply no reason for me to go out and get caught in traffic and or other problems due to evacuating unless I went to stay with my uncle in Port Charlotte.

I do however appriciate everyones concern for my situation. I also think this thread could have served a purpose for all the people out there who own/rent a condo and live in a hurricane prone area and have questions. So if the people who work in insurance as a profession, if they are going to make a comment should just stick with the professional opinion and not the personal one or make sure that tell which one is which.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#38 Postby Dionne » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:47 pm

wayoutfront is correct. Although if you did install using the plylox and your complex took a hit you would be a hero. In the event of a miss you would be busted. It's a Catch-22. :ggreen:
0 likes   

SouthFloridawx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#39 Postby SouthFloridawx » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:11 pm

Hey hurricanebob thanks for your input... did you find out anymore information. Also I'm not quite sure how the pylox works could anyone clarify that?
0 likes   

Hurricanebob
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby Hurricanebob » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:58 pm

SouthFloridawx wrote:Hey hurricanebob thanks for your input... did you find out anymore information. Also I'm not quite sure how the pylox works could anyone clarify that?

Plylox like any other measure (so I learned) is limited to the environment, and lots of luck. Doing ether method, i.e., lags bolts, plylox, other methods works to serve the purpose which is to attept to protect.

Here is some information on Plylox. And other measures...

Once a window has been breached by hurricane winds, pressure can push interior walls outward and cause the roof to collapse — much like the big bad wolf blowing down the straw house.

Experts agree that shutters — temporary or permanent — are the first line of defense against howling gusts.

Choosing the plywood

Plywood shutters are an affordable option for protecting windows. The key is choosing the right grade and size.

To start, buy pressured treated exterior-grade plywood. It's waterproof and less likely to rot. A standard sheet of plywood is 4-by-8 feet. It costs about $17-$36 per sheet, depending on thickness.

For storm shutters, experts recommend one-half to three-quarters-inch-thick plywood. Thinner wood won't sufficiently deflect flying debris, and anything more is too heavy to lift during installation.

The right anchor

After thousands of dollars and many more hours, they created Plylox, an inch-wide H-shaped metal clip that slips on the plywood panel and secures it to the window.

"The serrated edge grips onto the brick," "and the harder you try to pull the plywood out, the tighter the grip becomes."

Plylox is ideal with brick and stucco. It will work with wood, but can leave scratches. The only catch: The window casing must be 2 1/2 -3-inches deep.

"Newer homes might have casing that deep, but older homes generally will not," A 22-clip package is about $30 at hardware stores. An average 4-by-4 window requires four clips — two on each side.

SHUTTER OPTIONS
Permanent storm shutters can save you time and work. But they're expensive — $200-$1,000 per window, depending on style and size.
Bahamian or colonial — Decorative, functional louvered wooden shutters can be pulled closed.

Roll-up — Aluminum, rolling out of a box above the window. Power operated or manual. Excellent protection and easy to use.

Accordion — Manually operated; fan in and out. An option for sliding glass doors and large horizontal windows.

Panel — Individual panels of aluminum or shatterproof plastic, they slide into pre-installed tracks and secure with fasteners.

Fabric shields — A new option designed to protect from debris and water penetration. Some experts don't think they'll stop flying debris from shattering glass.

"The clips are so easy to pop in and out, "
You have to use a little elbow grease to release the tension on one side before the plywood slides right out, but at least you don't have to drill unsightly holes into your mortar."

For homes with narrow window casings, home repair experts recommend 1 1/2 -2-inch dry-wall screws for wooden and faux-stucco homes and masonry or concrete screws for brick.

Home Depot....has devised a hook-and-eye strategy for homes with aluminum siding. He attaches two screw eyes on top of the plywood shutter and two No. 4 hooks on the top window trim. Two barrel bolts are positioned on the bottom trim. The hardware stays on the window. When it's time to put up shutters, he loops the screw eyes over the hooks, then secures the plywood panel over the window by locking the barrel bolts.

In any case, experts advise against nails. They're messy and a pain to remove afterward. Double-head, sheet-metal, Phillips-head, wood and decking screws can be removed with ease with a reversible portable electric drill, said Dick Murray at Buffalo Hardware on Kirby.

Proper storage

As you take the plywood down, label it. Fee numbers his from left to right. (For example, "No. 1-Front" for the first left window in the front of the house.)

Some people store plywood shutters on a rack on the garage ceiling.

bob
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”