Wireless Carriers Better Prepared for 2006

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Hurritrax
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Wireless Carriers Better Prepared for 2006

#1 Postby Hurritrax » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:29 pm

Seems that all carriers are spending some major dollars to be better prepared during this hurricane season..see the link below.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/toc-newsat2direct/06/09/06?starting=7
0 likes   

Hurricanebob
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby Hurricanebob » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:59 am

That "hardening" of networks is also being done by power companies to swap wooden poles for concrete which is the difference between 105mph and 150mph!

Now if the hurricanes just wouldn't be as strong!

bob
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby beachbum_al » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:05 pm

I am glad to hear that they are trying to make the wireless phones service better in case of a hurricane. I have cingular. My husband has cingular and he also has a nextel through work. During Ivan it was Nextel that kept us connected to the outside world. The cingular phones were no use.
0 likes   

Hurricanebob
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Hurricanebob » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:34 pm

beachbum_al wrote:I am glad to hear that they are trying to make the wireless phones service better in case of a hurricane. I have cingular. My husband has cingular and he also has a nextel through work. During Ivan it was Nextel that kept us connected to the outside world. The cingular phones were no use.

During Charlie, my parents lost their Nextel service, my wife lost her signal from Verizon, but ironically our son had at the time a Virgin Mobile and it saved the day.
bob
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby skysummit » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:55 am

beachbum_al wrote:I am glad to hear that they are trying to make the wireless phones service better in case of a hurricane. I have cingular. My husband has cingular and he also has a nextel through work. During Ivan it was Nextel that kept us connected to the outside world. The cingular phones were no use.

I work for Verizon Wireless. During Ivan, we lost NO service what so ever. That's why the U.S. Government decided to choose us for natural disasters along the Gulf Coast.

For Katrina, everyone lost service due to the landline telco company that was providing all of us datalinks going underwater. We immediately turned up an emergency microwave network and were back on the air within 2 days. We were literally giving phones to people so they could communicate. All our generators worked.

For this year, we upgrade all our generators to 30kw. The fuels vary from natural gas to propane to diesel...all depending on the location. I'm proud to say we're ready once again.
0 likes   

Hurricanebob
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Hurricanebob » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:11 pm

skysummit wrote:

I work for Verizon Wireless. During Ivan, we lost NO service what so ever. That's why the U.S. Government decided to choose us for natural disasters along the Gulf Coast.

For Katrina, everyone lost service due to the landline telco company that was providing all of us datalinks going underwater. We immediately turned up an emergency microwave network and were back on the air within 2 days. We were literally giving phones to people so they could communicate. All our generators worked.

For this year, we upgrade all our generators to 30kw. The fuels vary from natural gas to propane to diesel...all depending on the location. I'm proud to say we're ready once again.

VERY cool, IMO all the wireless companies should have done this! Then they could have gotten the gov't contract. Hopefully the gov't will be as prepared as Verizon....

bob
0 likes   

timNms
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby timNms » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:27 am

skysummit wrote:

Wish ya'll would have given us a phone :) No one in this area had service after Katrina. That's one of the things that made it so bad around here. We could not get in touch with family to check on them. Certainly couldn't drive anywhere due to trees and power poles down on roads.
0 likes   

Hurricanebob
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Hurricanebob » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:28 pm

I read in our county EOC literature that a little unknown factoid on cell phones is that usually text messaging works when you have no service.

I wonder just how true that really is... Any thoughts on the validity?

bob
0 likes   

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

#9 Postby Jagno » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:25 am

Spoke to my Sprint rep and she said that they haven't resolved any of the problems encountered last year from Katrina and Rita so to expect more of the same should another disaster hit. :cry:
0 likes   

george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby george_r_1961 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:03 pm

Sprint isnt bad. It worked most of the time here after Isabel and since my phone is trimode if sprint was down it simply looked for another network.

I was in contact with lindaloo, who also has sprint, in the early morning hours of that fateful day Katrina hit; she lost service about the time the winds hit 90 mph It took days for them to pull the network back up down there but remember we are talking about Katrina.
0 likes   

HurricaneQueen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby HurricaneQueen » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:12 pm

After and during Wilma, we lost Cingular which I depended upon for computer service with my PDA. However, our other cell phones are with Verizon and both worked beautifully. Of course, you can't compare a land falling Wilma with a Katrina. During Charlie, we never lost service with Verizon which was our only carrier at the time. I now have a Verizon air card and I am hoping that it will stay up and running all season!

Lynn
0 likes   
GO FLORIDA GATORS

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”