Hurricane Toys and Birthdays

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Hurricane Toys and Birthdays

#1 Postby DanKellFla » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:03 pm

OK, maybe this isn't such an original idea, but it came to me while cleaning out the closet in my kids room. I don't know about you, but after every birthday party I set aside some toys for "later." Why not take some of the non-battery powered toys and put them aside for after a hurricane. Personally, I have a air-hog toy and a hot wheels race track put aside. Those should keep the kids busy for awhile.
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby Alladin » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:38 pm

A couple of new decks of cards work great. Slap Jack, Hearts, Spades, Go Fish and Poker are all fun games. Of course, there are lots more card games to play.
0 likes   

NativeFloridaGirl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby NativeFloridaGirl » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:02 am

Honestly I think this is a terrific idea. I don't have little kids (2 teenagers) but I do try to keep a couple new board games in my hurricane supplies. I also have a couple water guns stashed away too. Filled up with pool water they get a kick out of squirting each other with the benefit of getting cool too.

Beth
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby DanKellFla » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:56 pm

NativeFloridaGirl, I bet you still have some leftover toys stashed in a closet that they never got around to playing with. I know that I have stuff that I occasionally find that is still wrapped up. But I have a third boy now for that stuff. :lol:
0 likes   

HurriCat

#5 Postby HurriCat » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:51 am

After the storm, the kids can have great fun WITH Mom and Dad, playing with "SuperFun Rake" and "Xtreme Lawn Trash Bag" - great stuff! :wink:
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

Making the kids part of the solution...

#6 Postby Persepone » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:02 am

HurriCat wrote:After the storm, the kids can have great fun WITH Mom and Dad, playing with "SuperFun Rake" and "Xtreme Lawn Trash Bag" - great stuff! :wink:

Yes, this gives kids some "control" of the situation... it's a "teachable" moment. Would welcome more ideas about how kids can safely be part of the preparations and the cleanup...

I do think, however, that for children (especially young ones) emergencies are very terrifying and perhaps things like paper and pencils (and if necessary, a book from the library on games to play with paper and pencil), books that allow you to hug the children close to you and read to them (try for some books that will appeal to all your kids), as well as other toys that are suitable for confined spaces, etc. that don't require batteries or other power, foster a sense of security for children. Older children, by the way, can use a notebook to write a "journal" about the experience... Also, NOAA has some stuff for children on various emergencies (e.g., hurricanes, etc.) that you can print out in advance and have the children read, etc. Older kids can pack their own hurricane kit in a backpack, for example. And even very little ones can help choose a book or a toy to put in theirs, although you probably want to choose the clothing, etc.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”