Flo N' Go for generator refueling.

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Flo N' Go for generator refueling.

#1 Postby Alladin » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:32 pm

Have you ever tried to fill the gas tank on a generator with a 5 gallon gas can? It isn't easy to do because the full gas can weights over 31 lbs. and pouring from a full can is very cumbersome. Generally, you end up spilling some gas in the process.

In addition to all the 5 gallon gas cans I have in storage, I also have several 2 gallon gas cans. The 2 gallon cans are much easier to handle when filling a generator tank. My plan was to transfer gas from the 5 gallon cans to the 2 gallon cans and then fill the generator from the 2 gallon cans. Although this process is rather labor intensive, it would minimize the chance of spilling fuel. I was looking for another method.

I found a great product at Lowe's the other day. It's called the Flo N' Go. It's a siphon valve and pump that fits any common gasoline can (Blitz, Chilton, etc.). It comes with all the adapters to fit any gas can. You just screw the valve and cap onto your gas can (my gas cans are Blitz) and pump the handle a few times and your gas will flow into the tank via siphon action. Naturally, the gas can must be located at a level higher than the tank you are filling.

I used it today to fill up my generator and it worked great!. No leaks, no spills and you have precise control over the gas flow so you don't have to worry about overfilling the tank. The entire setup includes a 6 gallon plastic gas can and sells at Lowe's for $12.52 plus tax.
0 likes   

HurriCat

#2 Postby HurriCat » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:49 am

Tell me about it! We were driving back in that evac-nightmare that was Frances. It was great fun tipping up that five-gallon gas can only to find that the ridiculous nozzle doesn't reach down into the tank's filler-flap! I scrounged in a trash can in the rain, found a fuel-additive bottle, and then cut it down to make a crude funnel.

I'm going to Lowe's TODAY and check these out. They sound great for the garage and the vehicles, too. Thanks! :D
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby Alladin » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:21 pm

HurriCat wrote:Tell me about it! We were driving back in that evac-nightmare that was Frances. It was great fun tipping up that five-gallon gas can only to find that the ridiculous nozzle doesn't reach down into the tank's filler-flap! I scrounged in a trash can in the rain, found a fuel-additive bottle, and then cut it down to make a crude funnel.

I'm going to Lowe's TODAY and check these out. They sound great for the garage and the vehicles, too. Thanks! :D
Let me know if you find them down in Orlando. We have 4 Lowe's stores up here in northwest Florida and only one store carried the Flo N' Go. I've seen them on the Internet but the cheapest price I've seen was $40.00 plus shipping. If you can't find one maybe I can send one down to you.
0 likes   

HurricaneHunter914
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby HurricaneHunter914 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:31 pm

Dude, no offense but did you mean to spell Aladdin that way?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby Alladin » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:50 pm

HurricaneHunter914 wrote:Dude, no offense but did you mean to spell Aladdin that way?

http://www.alladin.ac.uk/project/aims.html
0 likes   

HurricaneHunter914
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby HurricaneHunter914 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:36 am

Oh sorry, I just wanted to ask. :)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TampaFl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby TampaFl » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:24 pm

Home Depot also carries them. I got one and it works great. :D

Robert 8-)
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby Alladin » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:56 am

TampaFl wrote:Home Depot also carries them. I got one and it works great. :D

Robert 8-)
Thank you, that's good to hear. In our area, only one Lowe's carries the product. I agree with you, this product works great! It's a heck of a lot better than trying to lift and pour gasoline from 5 gallon cans.
0 likes   

HurriCat

#9 Postby HurriCat » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:44 am

Haven't made it to Lowe's or Tony Stewart's Place :wink: here in Orlando. Yes - one of my concerns is that if you have an injured arm or hand, then hefting five-gallon cans would be a chore. Also, trying to refuel in a busy rest area or parking lot can be crazy enough without doing the "can dance" with moving cars and trucks, etc all around you. You can also more easily transfer gas to smaller jugs with this device, so it'd be easier and safer if you were sharing gas or just needed enough in a gallon sized can for a chainsaw, mower, etc.
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby Alladin » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:52 pm

HurriCat wrote:Haven't made it to Lowe's or Tony Stewart's Place :wink: here in Orlando. Yes - one of my concerns is that if you have an injured arm or hand, then hefting five-gallon cans would be a chore. Also, trying to refuel in a busy rest area or parking lot can be crazy enough without doing the "can dance" with moving cars and trucks, etc all around you. You can also more easily transfer gas to smaller jugs with this device, so it'd be easier and safer if you were sharing gas or just needed enough in a gallon sized can for a chainsaw, mower, etc.
Even if you’re young, strong and uninjured, wrestling with those 5 gallon cans is very cumbersome. Also, the self venting nozzle on those Blitz cans tends make the fuel slosh as it exits the end of the nozzle. Another factor is that you must have good aim as well. When a 5 gallon can is full, as you start to pour, the gas starts to flow out of the nozzle before you get the nozzle in contact with the tank neck. Half the time, you end up spilling some gas outside of the tank.

The main reason I like the Flo N’ Go is because all you have to do is set the can at a higher level than the tank you intend to fill. You then take the nozzle and put it in the tank and give the nozzle handle a few pumps to start the gas flow. When the tank is full, you just release the handle and the gas flow stops. It works very much like a normal gas pump at a filling station, although slower since it relies upon a siphon for gas flow. Of course, the higher you can place the gas can, the faster the gas will flow.

Another important factor is that I don't want to waste a drop of gas during a hurricane. My stored supply of gas is limited and I want to make sure I use every drop to my best advantage. :)
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby O Town » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:52 pm

I just looked at the Home Depot and Lowes site and did not get any matches for flo n go. I am curious to see what it looks like. I just did a google on it and funny the first listing I got was a link to here. :lol: I found it and it looks cool, the handle like the ones at the gas station, not bad for 25 bucks.

Here is the link for those who are curious to see what it looks like.
http://tinyurl.com/lplnb
0 likes   

Hurritrax
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Hurritrax » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:49 pm

That's a handy gadget to have and I love mine also. But always remember to let that generator cool down before refueling.... :cheesy:
0 likes   

rodpumas
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Flo n Go

#13 Postby rodpumas » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:37 pm

I purchased mine at Pep Boys.

It was on sale for $85.00 Regularly cost $99.00
0 likes   

rodpumas
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#14 Postby rodpumas » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:47 pm

The one sold at Pep Boys is called the Scepter 14 gallon gas caddy with nozzle. $99.99
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”