How much does Hurricane Window Film Cost?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

StrongWind
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#21 Postby StrongWind » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:08 am

I've been looking at getting the security/hurricane film for my sliding doors as well. I don't care about the advertisements for it as storm protection as I have traditional steel panels.

My interest is for their value AFTER (and before) any storm. Specifically, to keep out certain elements of society that may want to relieve me and my family of our possessions and perhaps lives. Big ole glass doors can make a tempting target, especially in the confusion after a storm. Something that can keep me safer is not a waste.

From what I've read so far, there seems to be 5 or 6 major manufactors, each with a different trade name for the product. Pay close attention to the mil. thickness of the material. 4 mil. being what is typically quoted for but that you shouldn't consider anything thinner than 8 mil. Getting the film properly anchored is also important and sometimes over-looked.

A forum with lots of useful info is here
0 likes   

Helo
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#22 Postby Helo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:01 am

I love reading when people say that film and tape is worthless because of something some "expert" said one time. No question that if your window is hit by a tree or something with substantial weight and you don't have a window covering, your window will shatter if you only have film or tape. If properly installed, film and tape will keep the glass together somewhat which is better than nothing, however film and tape absolutey do protect against smaller items which are much more likely to break or crack your window. If a small rock hits an unprotected window the resulting cracks and falling glass will increase the breakage in the window to the point where a total failure can occur. If you have even a minimal amount of protection in the form of film or tape, a small glass breach can be containing until such time you replace the glass.

Its definitely not a replacement for shutters or storm panels but its better than nothing and most films provide an additional benefits during the year in the form UV filtering and keeping some of the sun out of your house. Lamination is a proven technique that improves the strength in materials in everything from steel to fabric. Glass is no different. Windshield Autoglass comes to mind.
0 likes   

HurriCat

#23 Postby HurriCat » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:55 am

Dionne wrote:
HurriCat wrote:Aw, c'mon guys. OF COURSE :roll: film or whatever won't do any good if the STRUCTURE is destroyed. And no, it isn't tree-proof, either. This is like saying, "Yeah, but seat belts and airbags won't help if you drive your car off into the Grand Canyon." :roll: And if I were 160 miles inland - no way would I evacuate unless in a mobile cracker-box or stupidly living in a known flood-plain.

I used to think like that......160 miles from the coast should be more than enough. Then August 29 came along and changed alot of thinking. It was the wind. Crystal Springs is a small sleepy deep south community of 5000 people. Alot of "antebellum" homes. Alot of old tree growth. 200 year old oaks. Huge pines. And they fell big time. Our entire infrastructure went down.

Okay, I'll add: "... flood plain - OR be in one of those "quaint" areas with about a zillion very old ten thousand pound oak trees all over the place." Yeah, that's asking for it, too. :wink:
0 likes   

kranki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby kranki » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:23 pm

Be careful, I built my 'dream' house with impact glass six years ago! Impact glass like auto glass is good for one hit if it fractures it. The second hit will collapse the window if it is fractured. I know lost 2 windows in Dennis through stupidity, but learned a lot about the impact glass. So, be careful. I strongly recommend good ole shutters. They are a pain in the rear, but much better long term in my opinion. Actually, if you have the money, put in the impact glass behind the shutters! ;)
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:57 pm

HurriCat wrote:
Dionne wrote:
HurriCat wrote:Aw, c'mon guys. OF COURSE :roll: film or whatever won't do any good if the STRUCTURE is destroyed. And no, it isn't tree-proof, either. This is like saying, "Yeah, but seat belts and airbags won't help if you drive your car off into the Grand Canyon." :roll: And if I were 160 miles inland - no way would I evacuate unless in a mobile cracker-box or stupidly living in a known flood-plain.

I used to think like that......160 miles from the coast should be more than enough. Then August 29 came along and changed alot of thinking. It was the wind. Crystal Springs is a small sleepy deep south community of 5000 people. Alot of "antebellum" homes. Alot of old tree growth. 200 year old oaks. Huge pines. And they fell big time. Our entire infrastructure went down.

Okay, I'll add: "... flood plain - OR be in one of those "quaint" areas with about a zillion very old ten thousand pound oak trees all over the place." Yeah, that's asking for it, too. :wink:
I have to disagree there...Central Va's trees are from young to old, after Isabel, a "mere" 70 MPH Tropical Storm, moved through there and family members of mine up there stated that there was about one tree down every 100 yards or less...they were without power for over 2+ weeks...trees were down all over houses, and they are over 160 miles or so away from where Isabel first made landfall...so no, you dont have to live in a flood zone or have a zillion old trees around to receive alot of damage...
EDIT: they are actually 300 miles away from where Isabel made landfall...
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”