DSL or Cable

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

DSL or Cable

#1 Postby DanKellFla » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:01 pm

I just switched over to a cable modem. Right now, my services overlap, so I decided to compare them. It turns out that the cable is 25% faster than the DSL modem. (I am about 500 feet away from the Bellsouth box for those who are interested.) I like to be connected during a storm. For the first time, I have a laptop. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with DSL during a hurricane. How long did your service stay up? I think that when cable TV goes out, so does my modem. And my cable usually goes dead about 1/3rd of the way in.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Aquawind » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:36 am

Power will be the issue before phones or cable from my experience. My DSL has been very reliable and with my generator we can surf constantly.. I have a dish for TV and that only looses signal during the most intense rain and runs well on the generator. Cable is faster but I do know of many people down here that had problems during and after the hurricanes. However each network can have it's local problems either by design or equipment that would be considered atypical.
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby skysummit » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:45 am

I have cable through Time Warner. My only experience so far with cable internet and storms was for Rita. We had an outer band that rotated over us for almost 2 hours with 40 - 60mph winds. The cable was fine....then the power went out. I love my internet. I find it almost twice as fast as a buddy who has DSL.....yet the commercials on TV for DSL say "faster than cable". I have no idea where they get that from.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby brunota2003 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:00 am

My experience, Roadrunner through Timewarner, which is cable, During both Isabel and Ophelia we had cable up until the power went out...however for Ophelia we never completely lost power, it was just flickering constantly, but a tree about 500 yds up the road fell, barely missed the powerline, and took out the cable line (go figure) then it fell through a big wooden fence just barely missing the house it fell from, I mean the edges of the limbs were up against the house...they got so lucky...anyways, due to the tree and them taking care of more priority areas, is was about 24 hours before we got cable back, but we were one of the very few people here with power :) :cheesy:
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby beachbum_al » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:41 pm

Well I had DSL during Katrina and it worked well until they restored my power. After my power was restored the phone line went out. What luck! :lol: It worked well. I have not used it during a direct hit though. I had dial up during Ivan and was not at home either.
0 likes   

HDGator
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby HDGator » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:29 pm

My DSL stayed up through Frances, Jeane, and Wilma in 2004/2005. This includes periods of up to 9 days without power when I used a generator to power the laptop. I had neighbors that were out of cable for weeks during some of these storms. They didn't even appear to start troubleshooting the cable until the power was restored.

This is the primary reason I have stayed with DSL. The speed is very inviting but in the end reliability when you need it counts more to me than anything else and it's tough to justify duplicate service (not saying I haven't thought about trying to convince my wife :wink: ).

In my case most of my phone lines back to the CO are underground which helps the reliability. I don't think the cable distribution amplifiers will work without power which pretty much guarantees you being down without power. Your mileage may vary depending on your service.
0 likes   

george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby george_r_1961 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:54 pm

My cable would have worked had the power stayed on during Isabel. The few hundred customers in my city that did not lose power retained cable service. The phone company though did not have enough generators on hand to keep their batteries charged; so phone service was on and off for several days.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#8 Postby southerngale » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:40 am

I have RoadRunner cable through Time Warner and it was out for a few months after Rita hit, along with cable. Of course we didn't have electricity for weeks either. I am staying with cable because it's faster though...hard to blame them after Rita...everything around here was down. My phone came back sooner, but my parent's line was out for months. Rita sucked.

Btw, for regular thunderstorms, flooding rains, etc. my cable stays on. I believe it's generally reliable, but I had to evacuate during Rita anyway, so I wasn't around to want cable.
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby Alladin » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:27 pm

Heck, I’m on dial-up and it’s all I need. I get a 50.6 Kbps connection all the time. During both Ivan and Dennis my phone line still worked. However, I had no desire to go online during that period. I was too busy in my recovery efforts.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby MGC » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:52 pm

I have cable but want to switch to DSL. Why? Because BellSouth is putting all its phone lines underground in Pass Christian. I feel this will make for a more reliable system. My cable was out for 3 months after Katrina......MGC
0 likes   

nut
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#11 Postby nut » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:18 am

My cable (Roadrunner) never went out during Rita. I'm in Beaumont and it was working fine (tv and internet) when my electricity was restored about 2 weeks after the storm.
0 likes   

NFLDART
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby NFLDART » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:42 pm

I have cable and love the speed, have a broadband card backup.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”