Tips for seniors and people with limited mobility

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

yzerfan
Category 2
Category 2

Tips for seniors and people with limited mobility

#1 Postby yzerfan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:45 pm

So in my new job, I work for a non-profit, and one of my responsibilities is hurricane preparedness for senior citizens.

Right now, I'm working on a hurricane preparedness article that is geared specifically to seniors and people with limited mobility. Some sample bits include:

Get to know your neighbors- because during and after a storm people are generally pretty good about checking up on 85 year old Miss Betty down the lane

If you have trouble lifting gallon water jugs, get liter bottles for your water source instead.

After the storm has passed, neighborhoods often pull together to help start cleaning up and getting an area on its feet. Even if you have physical problems, there are still things you can do to help, like volunteering to watch a neighbor's children while they work to clear debris or go pick up relief supplies.

Something about finding access to public spaces where the power is up and the AC is on when your power is still off and it's 95F out.

Any ideas from the rest of y'all?
0 likes   

NativeFloridaGirl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby NativeFloridaGirl » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:56 am

You might want to mention about medications. My 88 year old grandmother is the worst at waiting until she has one blood pressure pill left to refill the bottle. Many older people don't worry about it, but during a storm it's a huge problem.

Beth
0 likes   

FireCracker
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3 Postby FireCracker » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:47 pm

Does your community have a special needs shelter? If so you might want to contact you Emergency Management office and get some registration info for your clients.

Also during 04 Frances it was heart rending to get calls from senior citizens to hear their caregivers were just leaving them out of fear. And by that time Fire Rescue units could not be sent to retireve these folks.
0 likes   

yzerfan
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby yzerfan » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:00 pm

We're in tight with the health department/special needs registry.
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#5 Postby Persepone » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:03 pm

Are you talking limited income elderly/limited mobility or just elderly/limited mobility?

I actually think some of the better off elderly/limited mobility people are in a worse position than those on limited incomes because people are NOT aware of them (they live in houses not right up next to neighbors, seem to be okay during normal times, etc.) and so neighbors are less likely to "check up" on them.

The other assumption is that people they pay to do stuff in normal times will somehow be available during emergencies.

They are less likely to admit that they need help....

Also, they are often their own worst enemies because of "old thinking."

I've a neighbor who can easily afford an auto-start installed whole house generator, but he wants to do some "do it yourself" stuff that is dangerous.... It's a false economy.

LOBBY government (local, state, federal) to force insurance companies to let senior citizens refill prescriptions ahead of storms so that they don't have to wait until they are down to that last pill or two before they get their refills!!! In the meantime, try to persuade local doctors to give seniors "samples" or whatever so they have an emergency supply of medicine for emergency.

On the practical side, make sure that seniors do have canned food in their houses--many senior citizens have really bare cupboards and they don't want to waste food--but individual serving soups, canned vegetables in small cans, canned milk, etc. would go a long way to mean the difference between eating and not eating.

Make sure they have an easy-to-operate manual can opener to get the cans open! The old Dasey wall-mounted manual canopeners are still the easiest to use for those with arthritis, etc. but there are a lot of other manual can openers with oversized keys, etc. that are pretty easy to use. There are also some battery-operated ones for people with grip strength issues, arthritis, etc.

Seniors need more time than most to assemble useable emergency supplies--as mentioned, they need water in small enough containers so that they can lift and carry them; they need can openers they can use, radios with large enough dials/controls so they can see them, flashlights that put out enough light for them to see clearly (and they may have cataract issues, limited night vision issues, etc.). I like the fluorescent tube "flashlights" myself--the things that light a closet, light a tent, etc. are often better than "hand-held" because you can put them down and use them to light an area. Fluorescent lanterns are also a good choice here. At the other extreme are the LED flashlights--they give out a lot of light for good vision...

Because trip and fall hazards are always a problem--but even more in limited light, etc. I'd go with more lights than for younger people--and be able to have them at various levels in the room...

Make sure the elderly people have hard shoes (not bedroom slippers) with closed toes and non-skid soles if at all possible. Layered clothing, extra socks, underwear, etc. They don't need to injure their feet, etc. in emergency.

Consider providing an elderly person with a "high tech" ultalightweight sleeping bag designed for climber/campers... very little weight, but lots of warmth, if needed, and it is "their own." Get the kind that unzips totally so they can use it as a blanket, a shawl, or a cocoon... Since these things are pretty water repellent if not quite waterproof and since they dry quickly, you can always wrap the person in it as a sort of "rain poncho."

Pack them a "backpack" as you would for a kid. Even if they can't carry the backpack, it is a way for them to keep what they need together... And many probably can carry a backpack if someone helps them get it on....
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

An additional idea

#6 Postby Persepone » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:00 am

Even for elderly who "do not need one" I'd buy one of those little cart thingies that is a cross between a walker, a luggage carrier and an emergency wheelchair. I have no idea what they are called, but I've seen some in use this spring in New England.

It's made out of shopping cart material and it has a shelf you can sit on (or put grocery bags or a suitcase on) and handle to push it with so you can either walk behind it and push it or sit on it and have someone push you... It also seems to have a couple of smaller "carrier baskets" that presumably flip out of the way or slide out of the way or come off if you need to use it as a sort of emergency wheelchair...

Yes it is probably "expensive" but probably not all that expensive--not like a real wheelchair. On the other hand, it is lightweight and maneuverable and probably can collapse and be put in a car or other vehicle quickly.

If you have an elderly person or someone with limited mobility, I'd get one for emergency. A young person could put an elderly person on one of these and push it an awful lot faster than the elderly person or limited mobility person could move in case of emergency.

I'd like to see these as part of emergency kit for all elderly/limited mobility people...

And it is a lot easier on the elderly person than fireman's carry
0 likes   

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Janie2006 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:21 pm

I like the auto-start generator idea, too. If its feasible, it could go quite a way toward relieving some of the post-storm misery.
0 likes   

jes
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Tips for seniors and people with limited mobility

#8 Postby jes » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:53 pm

During Ivan I got my elderly parents out of town with the help of the fire dept getting dad into the van. That was 3 years ago --- There's no way to get my dad out this year and mom's alzheimers would make any trip a nightmare ---- so I'm stuck here in Mobile even if a cat 5 heads our way. However, if the storm is strong enough I can rent a respite room at a local nursing home for the night. Many nursing homes have generators and all staff are required to report to work ---- that just seems like a safer alternative than staying home alone. Even a strong hotel room (where there are people around) seems to me to be safer than staying alone during a storm.
As far as the instant start generators --- I guess you're talking about natural gas generators---they can be more affordable than most think. You don't have to buy one that will run your central air conditioner -- they're a fortune. Just get a 7kw --it will run most of what you need after the storm ---- The 7kw can handle a window air conditioner or a roll around one for the aftermath.
One more thing --- the fabric shield window covers are light enough for women and many elderly to put up ---- I believe lowes carries them now. They are made by Wayne Dalton.
0 likes   

olddude
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby olddude » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:10 pm

In the Fl. Keys the elderly among the first evacuted. There is a list maintained by county gov. that the elderly can be placed on to be transported to the shelter at FIU in Miami. While this gets them out of the storms path they are still reponsible for much of their own well being while in the shelter.
It may be worthwhile for you to have a two pronged preparedness plan for them. One- shelter in place and two- supplies to take with them for evac.

Scott
"Try'in to reason with hurricane season"
0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby baygirl_1 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:28 pm

jes wrote:During Ivan I got my elderly parents out of town with the help of the fire dept getting dad into the van. That was 3 years ago --- There's no way to get my dad out this year and mom's alzheimers would make any trip a nightmare ---- so I'm stuck here in Mobile even if a cat 5 heads our way. However, if the storm is strong enough I can rent a respite room at a local nursing home for the night. Many nursing homes have generators and all staff are required to report to work ---- that just seems like a safer alternative than staying home alone. Even a strong hotel room (where there are people around) seems to me to be safer than staying alone during a storm.
As far as the instant start generators --- I guess you're talking about natural gas generators---they can be more affordable than most think. You don't have to buy one that will run your central air conditioner -- they're a fortune. Just get a 7kw --it will run most of what you need after the storm ---- The 7kw can handle a window air conditioner or a roll around one for the aftermath.
One more thing --- the fabric shield window covers are light enough for women and many elderly to put up ---- I believe lowes carries them now. They are made by Wayne Dalton.

Jes, I can empathize with you as my mother lives with us. She has some health issues, but, fortunately, is still very mobile. She's the reason we evacuate for hurricanes as I have nightmares that she might have a health crisis and we can't get to the hospital. You've already registered with Mobile County EMA, right? I assume you have since you mentioned renting a room at a nursing home.I'm a high school special ed. teacher and I've urged my students and their families to register, especially if they have no/limited transportation or other family members with special needs, too. It sounds like they have a good plan with the WAVE buses taking people to shelters when evacuations are ordered. They, also, will help transport people with special needs to shelters that will be able to meet those needs. Believe me, I know about that: during Ivan, they had 3 people in hospital beds in my classroom, along with the nursing staff to care for them. Apparently, they also had folks on oxygen at the school, as well. They have tried to develop a plan to meet the needs of people. Let's hope that plan will not be tested any time soon, though.
Here's a link to Mobile County EMA's website with info about evacuation for those with special needs:
http://www.mcema.net/transportation.asp#specialneeds
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#11 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:01 pm

olddude wrote:In the Fl. Keys the elderly among the first evacuted. There is a list maintained by county gov. that the elderly can be placed on to be transported to the shelter at FIU in Miami. While this gets them out of the storms path they are still reponsible for much of their own well being while in the shelter.
It may be worthwhile for you to have a two pronged preparedness plan for them. One- shelter in place and two- supplies to take with them for evac.
Scott

Scott, What a great idea!!! I have never thought of that. It makes all the sense in the world and sounds like something that should be practiced by ALL that live in evacuation zones or think they will consider evacuation to a shelter of any type.
0 likes   

jes
Category 1
Category 1

#12 Postby jes » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:43 pm

Thanks Baygirl --- for the EMA address --- no we are not registered, but will be first thing in the morning. I didn't know about it.
Our shelters here are so "weak" -- I almost trust my house more than a shelter. That's why the governor ordered the entire city evacuation during Dennis. I took my parents to a nursing home during Dennis and they didn't even cover their windows ---- no boards -- nothing. I couldn't believe it. People here still don't understand that you don't protect windows to prevent your carpet from getting wet ---- it's to keep you roof from blowing off.
Thanks again for the EMA information.
0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby baygirl_1 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:55 am

Jes- I hope MCEMA can help. I am frightened for my students and their families that we might have a New Orleans-type situation here: a major hurricane approaching and no real way for them to evacuate flood-prone areas. However, it sounds like the EMA and Gov. Riley have really been working to make sure that doesn't happen. One difference that was pointed out in the news: Mobile and Baldwin County school buses are owned by the counties and bus drivers are school system employees. I read/heard that New Orleans school buses are owned and operated by private companies, which is why they didn't use them despite their evacuation plan. Also, I heard about a year or so ago that they planned to make Burns Middle a special needs shelter, but I haven't heard any more about that. I know in the past they have used Baker High and Satsuma High. Both of those buildings are pretty sturdy. I mean, Baker has no windows! There was talk at one time that, in the event of a major hurricane, they would use ambulances to evacuate folks to shelters upstate. If you get any more info from MCEMA, would you please share it. I'm always on the lookout for info for my students. Thanks!
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby Cookiely » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:48 pm

LOBBY government (local, state, federal) to force insurance companies to let senior citizens refill prescriptions ahead of storms so that they don't have to wait until they are down to that last pill or two before they get their refills!!! In the meantime, try to persuade local doctors to give seniors "samples" or whatever so they have an emergency supply of medicine for emergency.

I have requested several times for additional prescriptions to fill for hurricane emergencies from the physician and they have refused. Some insurance companies are very strict on when they will refill your prescriptions. Anyone have any advice for me?
0 likes   

jes
Category 1
Category 1

#15 Postby jes » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:04 am

Baygirl --- I just called EMA and they said Volunteers of America handles the registrations now. You can sign up online at http://www.disasterhelpmobile.org. I am not in an area that has any chance of flooding --- thank goodness! I decided not to sign up because we won't really need to go to a shelter. My parents are in La La land and my dad is heavy and in a wheelchair, but they don't have any special medical needs that would require a nurse. I just don't want to be alone with them in case the roof falls in or something like that. You must work South of I10 where there is more of a flooding problem. Do they open the schools for shelters in that area also? I used to work for DHR. After Frederic (sp) we all had to take FEMA applications for weeks and weeks at local centers. I was sent to Bayou La Batre --- those people lost everything -- business and home. That storm was a strong 3 and we were directly to the East of it. It's helped me realize that we'll probably be safe staying put --- houses didn't blow down --- pine trees and flooding were the biggest dangers. If I were alone I'd probably leave just because I don't like being terrified, but unfortunately I'm stuck here.
One thing I did notice on the web site is that they don't transport nursing home and assisted living residents. I've heard our nursing homes are having a lot of trouble making plans ---- I've even heard that some feel it's safer not to leave as transporting extemely sick people causes death --- it's a risk judgement call --- not good!
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby DanKellFla » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:25 pm

Cookiely wrote:LOBBY government (local, state, federal) to force insurance companies to let senior citizens refill prescriptions ahead of storms so that they don't have to wait until they are down to that last pill or two before they get their refills!!! In the meantime, try to persuade local doctors to give seniors "samples" or whatever so they have an emergency supply of medicine for emergency.

I have requested several times for additional prescriptions to fill for hurricane emergencies from the physician and they have refused. Some insurance companies are very strict on when they will refill your prescriptions. Anyone have any advice for me?

By law, some drugs aren't allowed to be refilled early because of possible illegal use. But can you get 90 day supplies mailed to you via AARP? My parents use that and it is great.
0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby baygirl_1 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:45 pm

jes wrote:Baygirl --- I just called EMA and they said Volunteers of America handles the registrations now. You can sign up online at http://www.disasterhelpmobile.org. I am not in an area that has any chance of flooding --- thank goodness! I decided not to sign up because we won't really need to go to a shelter. My parents are in La La land and my dad is heavy and in a wheelchair, but they don't have any special medical needs that would require a nurse. I just don't want to be alone with them in case the roof falls in or something like that. You must work South of I10 where there is more of a flooding problem. Do they open the schools for shelters in that area also? I used to work for DHR. After Frederic (sp) we all had to take FEMA applications for weeks and weeks at local centers. I was sent to Bayou La Batre --- those people lost everything -- business and home. That storm was a strong 3 and we were directly to the East of it. It's helped me realize that we'll probably be safe staying put --- houses didn't blow down --- pine trees and flooding were the biggest dangers. If I were alone I'd probably leave just because I don't like being terrified, but unfortunately I'm stuck here.
One thing I did notice on the web site is that they don't transport nursing home and assisted living residents. I've heard our nursing homes are having a lot of trouble making plans ---- I've even heard that some feel it's safer not to leave as transporting extemely sick people causes death --- it's a risk judgement call --- not good!

Thanks for the info about VOA. I will pass it along to my students this year. Actually, I teach at a school in west Mobile. I work with students with disabilities who live all over Mobile County. Our school is not in a flood-prone area, but I have students who live in flood-prone areas (i.e. Plateau - near the Cochrane-Africatown Bridge, Dog River area, Chickasabogue Creek area, and Bayou Sara vicinity). Like I said-- all over Mobile County! As for schools open as shelters: Theodore High has been opened as a shelter, as have Baker, Blount, Montgomery, and Satsuma High Schools. I believe the local EMA said they would decide whether to open local shelters based upon the strehgth of the storm (i.e. they may not open any local shelters for a Cat 4 or 5--people would be taken to upstate shelters).
BTW, did you see the info in the newspaper last week about the local and state pet shelters? It's an excellent idea. The only problem is they cannot transport people with pets in the buses to the shelters (however, I hear they are trying to find a way to arrange transportation).
At any rate, I do think they are working hard to help those who will have a hard time evacuating. Of course, we'll see how well these plans have been planned if (I ain't saying when!) a storm comes a-calling.
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#18 Postby srainhoutx » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:25 pm

olddude wrote:In the Fl. Keys the elderly among the first evacuted. There is a list maintained by county gov. that the elderly can be placed on to be transported to the shelter at FIU in Miami. While this gets them out of the storms path they are still reponsible for much of their own well being while in the shelter.

Scott

Great Post. After Livin it during 2001-2006 in KW, Monroe County does a great good taking care of Special Needs. Here is a link of Monroe County, FL emergency site...

http://monroecofl.virtualtownhall.net/Pages/emergency
0 likes   

jes
Category 1
Category 1

#19 Postby jes » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:27 pm

Baygirl
The pet shelter is set up in Wilmer or Semmes. One of my parent's sitters works for the pound - thats how I learned about it. My husband was a veterinarian and I called our local SPCA last week to offer Bob's clinic during a hurricane for their animals. Never rec'd a call back. That's typical of them. Bob died and I own a perfectly safe good vacant clinic for animals during a storm -- makes no sense to me. In fact it would also be a very safe place for people to stay - concrete block and steel frame in a non-flood zone - across from Providence hospital. Have you noticed that people are saying they won't leave town this time --- they are afraid after what happened in Houston. Of course, after our governor's ridiculous Dennis evacuation people don't have confidence anymore. I do think we'll be safe as long as we get to high ground and out of unsafe structures. However,these cat 4's and 5's do unnerve me a bit. If it wasn't for my parents I think I'd probably leave just to feel less stressed. I know many of your students can't leave or their parents won't leave. Are there any laws that mandate evacutation when children are involved?
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”