Secure Door: Retro Fit your garage door

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Secure Door: Retro Fit your garage door

#1 Postby DanKellFla » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:39 pm

Secure Door

Well, I just installed my Secure Door garage door brace. Basically, it acts as extra support durring a hurricane. The web page is above. The installation was easy. A lot easier than I made it out to be. Unless you are a super fast handy man, I wouldn't want to wait for a storm to install these, but one could be installed in about 2 hours. The DIY instructions seem daunting, but they can be followed. A few more pictures would have been nice. But the best part of the instructions is that I didn't have to read them all the way through and then start. I could just go step by step. I will be installing the second bracket soon. I think that should take less than an hour.
The bracket looks to be very sturdy. I think my roof will fail long before that bracket fails. Hopefully, I will never have a chance to find out.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby DanKellFla » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:21 am

I installed the second bracket in 45 minutes.
To sum it up, there are six holes that need to be drilled and some bolts that need to be tightened. The first installation took about 1.5 hours. Of course, I had to taxi the kids around, have a family Sunday lunch and spend quality time with my boys, so that brought the whole installation time to about 4 hours for me. Someday, my wife will let me start a job and finish it uninterupted, but I digress.. grrrr
0 likes   

jdray
Category 3
Category 3

#3 Postby jdray » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:25 am

I have it installed, came with my 4 year old house when I had it built (thanks up to date code)

It worked with Frances, had 60+mph sustained for a while with her and the door was bowing until I placed the brace in.
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Thanks

#4 Postby dizzyfish » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:05 am

FYI everyone......but first thanks to DanKellFla for making us aware of Secure Door! Hubby picked ours up yesterday. 8-)

Now for the FYI - Secure Door is now available from several sources and some of these sources are even less expensive than buying them from Secure Door. Don't know how they do that - but works for me.

Lowe's now carries Secure Door - although finding them in stock is a challenge to say the least.

Crystal Shutters in Tarpon Springs is where we purchased ours - not much less than the manufacturer (only $1) but we didn't have to pay the shipping or wait 2 weeks to get them.

Home Depot can order a sorta similar item - we didn't like it and it is NOT the same as Secure Door.

Thanks again DanKellFla !!!
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby DanKellFla » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:59 pm

dizzy,
You are welcome. I am glad to help anybody mitigate storm damage and make it easier to survive after a storm.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby x-y-no » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:44 pm

Huh ...

I built a brace just like this for my parents' house back in the 80's - only made of a pair od 2x6 boards and some hurricane strapping. Worked great in Andrew.

Never occurred to me to patent the idea ... :-(
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby MGC » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:15 pm

We use 2x6 on our garage door also, works for us too....MGC
0 likes   

Beam
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby Beam » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:30 pm

x-y-no wrote:Huh ...

I built a brace just like this for my parents' house back in the 80's - only made of a pair od 2x6 boards and some hurricane strapping. Worked great in Andrew.

Never occurred to me to patent the idea ... :-(

Haha, you could have been filthy rich!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”