Home Depot $499 5550 Watt generator

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Home Depot $499 5550 Watt generator

#1 Postby DanKellFla » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:13 pm

I just thought I would let you know that Home Depot is selling a $699 generator for $499 in South Florida. So far, in the two stores I go to, that item is not moving. I think that is a great price.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby DanKellFla » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:04 pm

I just got back from yet another Home Depot excursion. Now there is some kind of instant rebate on that generator. So, it is now $425.00.

The 5+ plastic gas cans are now $2.97.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Aquawind » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:34 am

Sounds like a good buy and this is the time to prepare alrighty. Glad I have one! It has been a great help for me and my neighbors.
0 likes   

HollynLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby HollynLA » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:52 am

Thanks for the info, I'll check and see if we're having the same price in Louisiana. That's a great deal for sure.
0 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby GeneratorPower » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:30 pm

Keep in mind that the 5550 Coleman and "Troy-Bilt" generators are not made for home backup use like most people use them during storms. They are not continuous duty rated, meaning they lose about 30-50% of their output after 15-20 minutes of run time (once they warm up). Additionally, the wattage that's left is divided in two between each 120V side. You can't get more than 1/2 power using a single, regular extension cord. Plus they are noisy, and burn twice the fuel of say, a genuine Honda generator. Visit your local genuine Honda dealer and take a look at the EN2500AL for about $699. It's rated for continuous 2300W output. You'll be burning pints of fuel instead of gallons. Makes a big difference in a shortage/emergency situation. Honda is actually running their special 12 months no interest/no payments financing on all the generators. Find a dealer who participates (most do). Sorry if my response sounds canned, it definately isn't.

The $3 gas cans is really a good deal. You can't go wrong on a $3 gas can. You can go wrong on a $500 generator.

P.S. -- A generator with a Honda engine is not the same as a genuine Honda generator. Big big difference in the power-producing parts of the machine.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby DanKellFla » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:33 am

You forgot to include that the Honda has clean power so you can plug in your computers. Yes, you get what you pay for.

I don't understand how generator companies can advertise such different numbers. Sure, the Coleman and the little Hondas are very different tools, but there should be some consistency in the numbers. I would think that between Honda and Yamaha there would be enough influence to get some honesty out there.
Last edited by DanKellFla on Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby MSRobi911 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:44 pm

We don't have a generator here at the house, but I did purchase from my "love of loves" QVC a small Battery pack that can be recharged from you car battery and it has 4 plugs so that you can plug in lamps, TV's, Fans...oh a fan after a Hurricane!!! what a luxury!! and of course radios, cell phones to be charged, etc. They will run for about 12 hours before needing to be charged again, depending on what you are running on them. I also bought my Mother one and my In-Laws one so now we have 3 to go around! If you are interested I can go look up the name of the things, but seemed a good thing for during and after a storm without having to worry about gasoline, etc. for the generator.

Mary
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby angelwing » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:09 pm

Oooo please let us know Mary, when the power goes out here in the apt (which it does once a month)I have 3 battery operated fans so my hubby can have fresh air, but they don't last long...we had a 2 and a half-day power outage one time in August 2 years ago right when he got home from the hospital and we couldn't afford to go to a hotel and he was in no shape to go really anywhere else, so let us know, thanks!!!
0 likes   

MSRobi911
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby MSRobi911 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:53 am

It's called a XPower Portable POWERPAK 600 AD

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail

there is a link to QVC. We keep our's plugged in all the time.

Mary
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby Alladin » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:31 pm

GeneratorPower wrote: You can go wrong on a $500 generator.
The Honda EN2500 is a fine generator set and can provide 19 amps of power at 120 volts on a continuous basis. For someone that needs a small generator to run a few appliances with a few heavy duty extension cords (such as a refrigerator and a 5,000 BTU window AC) the EN2500 would work very well. Asking this small generator to do much more would really be taxing it.

However, the Home Depot generator mentioned by DanKellFla is a much more powerful generator. It will generate over twice the power of the Honda you mentioned and that power can be simultaneously split between both 120 and 240 volt applications. It can be wired into a transfer switch and power various selected circuits in a residence. The Honda unit you mentioned does not have that capability. The Home Depot generator has a continuous duty rating of over 40 amps at 120 volts. If you need that much power, it’s a very good deal!

What it all comes down to is that each person needs to match their power requirements to an appropriate generator. If your generator is too small then it’s next to being worthless. If it’s too big for your needs, then it will needlessly waste fuel. In my case, for example, I have two emergency generators (with different power outputs) because my power needs are substantially different during the day and during the night. Also, with two generators, I have a backup in case one generator develops a problem.

In short, you can go wrong with a Honda as well.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”