h-header and F-track installation thoughts for DIY'ers

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

h-header and F-track installation thoughts for DIY'ers

#1 Postby DanKellFla » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:01 pm

Now that I am finished for this seasons installations, I have a some thoughts on installing storm panels yourself.

1) Get a corded hammer drill.
If you live close to Harbor Freight hardware, go there. The corded drill they have there is plenty adequate for this job. And, it is cheap. I think it was $27.
2) The tapcon drill bits wear out a lot faster with a hammer drill.
How did I figure this out? I would drill the hole and then install the tapcon only to have the tapcon spin at the end. I repeated this a few times until it dawned on me to try a new drill bit. D'oh!!!
3) It is easy. If I can do it, then you can.
4) On a couple of windows make the h-header and f-track a little longer than you need. That way, you can leave a little crack of window esposed to look outside. Just think of the storms direction and strength if you decide to do this.
5) I have recessed windows and so does my next door neighboor. We both have storm panels. His cover his windows with no or very little extra extending past the window. My storm panels go past my window by 3 inches at least. Consequenetly, he has problems with water intrusion and I don't. I didn't do this on purpose. The panels came with the house and that was how they were measured.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”