drinking water storage question

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

drinking water storage question

#1 Postby Dionne » Fri May 04, 2007 6:25 am

Once again I found myself sitting in the doctors office trying to get a grip on this bacteria that has "colonized" in my stomach. A nasty little reminder of the months following Katrina while working the disaster region. I suspect I acquired this bacteria while working in Waveland, MS. and drinking the local water.

While waiting on the doctor I was reading an interview with Sheryll Crow. She's preaching about a concern of bottled water in plastic containers. Apparently the plastic is suspect when the containers are stored in warm to hot locations. Some sort of possible chemical release into the water.

This is the first I've ever heard of such a scenario. The publication that released the interview was the Womans Home Journal. (stop laughing.....it was the only magazine)

Is this possible? Am I wrong to keep cases of plastic bottled water as an emerency back up? Should different contaners be used? Is this the reason we saw canned water?

Confused....need some input please!!!!
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby DanKellFla » Fri May 04, 2007 9:48 am

The plastic bottles that hold water leach tiny amounts of chemicals into the water after a few months of storage. The clear bottles typically leach less chemicals than the transluscent bottle. But, the amount that is in the water is in the micro-gram per liter amount. That is like one drop in a swimming pool. I used to work in an environmental lab and we would test the bottled water. Everything in plastic came in positive for Dibromomethane (I think or something close?) For that to be dangerous, you would need to drink from 6 month old bottles for years. Personally, I have no problem drinking from year old unopened bottled water that I have kept in my hot garage.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#3 Postby Dionne » Sun May 06, 2007 7:48 am

Well.....that certainly puts it in perspective. Thanx.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4 Postby wxman57 » Fri May 11, 2007 1:32 pm

I'd suggest something that I saw at the NHC this year - MyWaterSafe. They make collapsible containers that fit inside your bathtub. When you're certain the storm is coming at you, put the container in the tub and fill it up from the tap. You'll have 55-65 gallons of drinkable water instantly. There's even a plastic pump that screws onto the top of the bag so that you can pump out water for daily use. The bags cost $29 and also come in a 5-gallon size for the sink (they're portable, too). The bags are meant to be used only one time, as there's no way to really clean them and dry them thoroughly. But its a lot cheaper than buying 65 gallons of water 3-4 days before a hurricane when you're not sure you'll even need the water. You can wait 'til the last minute with the storage containers.

http://www.mywatersafe.com
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby x-y-no » Fri May 11, 2007 2:57 pm

wxman57 wrote:I'd suggest something that I saw at the NHC this year - MyWaterSafe. They make collapsible containers that fit inside your bathtub. When you're certain the storm is coming at you, put the container in the tub and fill it up from the tap. You'll have 55-65 gallons of drinkable water instantly. There's even a plastic pump that screws onto the top of the bag so that you can pump out water for daily use. The bags cost $29 and also come in a 5-gallon size for the sink (they're portable, too). The bags are meant to be used only one time, as there's no way to really clean them and dry them thoroughly. But its a lot cheaper than buying 65 gallons of water 3-4 days before a hurricane when you're not sure you'll even need the water. You can wait 'til the last minute with the storage containers.

http://www.mywatersafe.com

Hey now ... that's pretty good. When I had my boat I used 5 gallon collapsible plastic containers that I'd lash down behind the mast. I'd been looking around for something like that, but this'll work. Thanks for the tip.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby MGC » Sun May 13, 2007 8:56 pm

I drank some bottled water that I got at a FEMA distribution center after Katrina on Friday while on the beach in Gulf Shores. The sell by date was 09/06. The water had the usual plastic bottle taste. It has not killed me yet.....MGC
0 likes   

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

#7 Postby Jagno » Sun May 13, 2007 11:05 pm

I was hospitalized a grand total of 3 times in the weeks and months following Rita with mold and bacterial poisoning each time. The first time it attacked my respiratory system. The second time it was stomach and colon. The third time was really bad with severe kidney problems from the bacteria. It was NOT from bottled water but from contamination on every single thing you touched and inhaled following the storm. Don't ever kid yourself, gloves and respiratory masks are priceless. I've never had allergies or problems like this before and I certainly don't wish this on anyone. Get well soon!

P.S. - My son worked for the city's waste water plant and you really don't want to know how that bacteria ended up on everything around you.
0 likes   

HurricaneQueen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby HurricaneQueen » Thu May 24, 2007 5:40 pm

This and other similar stories are urban legends according to Snopes.com. Here is one reference and there are others: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/petbottles.asp Hope this alleviates some concerns.

Lynn :D
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby x-y-no » Fri May 25, 2007 11:39 am

Jagno wrote:I was hospitalized a grand total of 3 times in the weeks and months following Rita with mold and bacterial poisoning each time. The first time it attacked my respiratory system. The second time it was stomach and colon. The third time was really bad with severe kidney problems from the bacteria. It was NOT from bottled water but from contamination on every single thing you touched and inhaled following the storm. Don't ever kid yourself, gloves and respiratory masks are priceless. I've never had allergies or problems like this before and I certainly don't wish this on anyone. Get well soon!

P.S. - My son worked for the city's waste water plant and you really don't want to know how that bacteria ended up on everything around you.

Yes ... respiratory masks are something that's seldom mentioned as part of a disaster kit, but definitely useful.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”