This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Downdraft
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1 Postby Downdraft » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:35 pm

The magic number is 72! 72 hours to be totally self-sufficient after the storm has passed. 72 hours of water, 72 hours of food, 72 hours of medicine, 72 hours of necessities. And, remember that's 72 per person NOT per family. Now you know the number what do you need to survive for 72 hours and what can you live without?
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Aquawind » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:15 pm

Well Said.. Take Care of yourselves and don't rely on anyone. There are NO guarantees you will get help..
0 likes   

Beam
Category 1
Category 1

#3 Postby Beam » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:15 pm

I'll see your 72 and raise you to 168. Frankly, I'm more than a little disenchanted with the federal government's capacity to respond to massive disasters. Be prepared to be on your own for a week. This is a good idea even if you aren't vulnerable to hurricanes, too. God only knows what could happen these days.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby x-y-no » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:30 pm

Yeah, I'd call 72 hours a minimum.

My kit has always been for 1 week (just the kit - not counting any normal provisions I may have in the pantry.)
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#5 Postby DanKellFla » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:47 pm

x-y-no wrote:Yeah, I'd call 72 hours a minimum.

My kit has always been for 1 week (just the kit - not counting any normal provisions I may have in the pantry.)

I agree. I plan on 5 days of self sufficiency. For the first three days, I have plenty of everything. For the next two, I will run out of some stuff, but not the necessities. Although, three days is enough for all but the most extreme events. My biggest motivation for the 5 day supply is the insanity in stores after a storm. I like to avoid that if possible.

But we all have to remember that there are many who don't have the means to keep 3 days of supplies on hand, let alone 5. I find that there are many benefits to helping ones neighboor after a storm. I live in a nice place, but I have one neighboor who REFUSES to buy a generator even though his 87 year old mother lives with him. I always end up giving them ice. And my next door neighboor is Hindu. The only thing she needs refridgerated is milk and cheese. No problem, she watches my kids as we all clean up. She was super durring the last storm.
Last edited by DanKellFla on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Jinkers
Category 1
Category 1

Re: 72

#6 Postby Jinkers » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:58 pm

I'm prepared for a week too
0 likes   

Tommedic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#7 Postby Tommedic » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:46 am

My parents were in Charleston for Hugo. I have since been prepared for at least a week with generator support. The only thing I want to do is upgrade generator to propane style in order to have additional supplies to last long enough. Gasoline is too difficult to store.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#8 Postby DanKellFla » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:14 pm

Tommedic wrote:My parents were in Charleston for Hugo. I have since been prepared for at least a week with generator support. The only thing I want to do is upgrade generator to propane style in order to have additional supplies to last long enough. Gasoline is too difficult to store.

Do a google search for that. There is at least one company that make and adaptor so you can use propane and gasoline on the same generator.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”