plylox

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

saintsfan1978
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

plylox

#1 Postby saintsfan1978 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:15 pm

Anybody have expierence with this product? if I wanted to plywood my windows, do these things really work?
0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: plylox

#2 Postby baygirl_1 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:09 pm

My sister and her husband have used them. They really like them. She said they worked well and were much easier than having to bolt in the plywood. I wish we could use them, but our vinyl sided house's windows are not recessed and will not accommodate plylox.
0 likes   

elvinp
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby elvinp » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:14 pm

I bought more today. Used them in 2005 with plywood. They worked well and most oof them were re-usable. I recommend them.
0 likes   

Rocketman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Rocketman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:50 am

My neighbor has used them for 2-3 years now.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby DanKellFla » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:06 pm

You asked for opinions, so here is my 2 cents. The only personal experience I have with Plylox is examining them in Home Depot. The are an amazing product. But, they are only as good as the plywood you use. (Saitnsfan implies that you are from New Orleans?) Just make sure that you are using the recomended thickness, which I believe is 5/16" or greater, and paint the wood if you plan on re-using it.

And Label the window locations of the wood for the next time.
0 likes   

RBDnhm
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby RBDnhm » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:48 pm

Has anyone out there in hurricane-prone land tried plylox with two or more pieces of plywood next to each other (side by side - maybe with 2x4 at seam) to cover a large (6' tall x 10' - 13' wide) window? May take a few more at the seams of the plywood but was hoping it might work. Rita broke six or eight of windows like that at our office that were unprotected. Openings are brick.
0 likes   

flwxwatcher
Category 4
Category 4

Re:

#7 Postby flwxwatcher » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:09 pm

DanKellFla wrote:You asked for opinions, so here is my 2 cents. The only personal experience I have with Plylox is examining them in Home Depot. The are an amazing product. But, they are only as good as the plywood you use. (Saitnsfan implies that you are from New Orleans?) Just make sure that you are using the recomended thickness, which I believe is 5/16" or greater, and paint the wood if you plan on re-using it.

And Label the window locations of the wood for the next time.

The pylox clips work like a charm. This will be the third year using them. Good points above, I have every piece of wood labeled as to which window it is for.. You can paint the wood or use Thompson Water Sealer like I did, it helps prevent the wood from warping when it gets wet.
0 likes   

flwxwatcher
Category 4
Category 4

#8 Postby flwxwatcher » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:11 pm

RBDnhm wrote:Has anyone out there in hurricane-prone land tried plylox with two or more pieces of plywood next to each other (side by side - maybe with 2x4 at seam) to cover a large (6' tall x 10' - 13' wide) window? May take a few more at the seams of the plywood but was hoping it might work. Rita broke six or eight of windows like that at our office that were unprotected. Openings are brick.

Yes.. I tried 2 pieces of wood side by side for my big front picture wind and it worked fine . Like you said I used extra clips and it worked fine for me in 2004.
0 likes   

RBDnhm
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby RBDnhm » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:03 pm

Maybe I won't have to cut the wood this year. It is waiting when necessary. Thank you for the reply.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”