Garage doors (and their failures)

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cat
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Garage doors (and their failures)

#1 Postby cat » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:01 am

As mentioned in another post on the safe storage of gasoline and propane, I had a wind storm inspector tell me that during hurricane Andrew, the failures of many homes began as a failure of their garages - not from being blowin in - but from being sucked out.

Ours isn't shuttered as it's the one door or window area that isn't shuttered - figuring we need one for obvious reasons. I plan on using 4x8 sheets of plywood to reinforce the door - possibly on both sides - by backing our cars up to them for bracing (or using them lengthways). I also know that we can buy a storm rated garage but that isn't an option now - at least for this season - due to money issues.

I'd like to hear what plans other people have regarding shuttering and exit strategies, bracing up a garage door and things along these lines. I'm also storing gas and propane in this garage and quite frankly, I'm not all that comfortable with this entire idea since I learned that failures occurred in garages quite frequently during a major storm.

What do you folks do... I'm interested in hearing the thoughts of others.

Thanks.
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Garage doors (and their failures)

#2 Postby DanKellFla » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:14 pm

0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”