Claudette: first Texas hurricane in July since 1959..

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
JetMaxx

Claudette: first Texas hurricane in July since 1959..

#1 Postby JetMaxx » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:36 pm

Just a couple tidbits on hurricane Claudette....

Before Claudette, the last landfalling Texas hurricane during the month of July was cat-1 Debra, which struck between Freeport and Galveston on July 25, 1959.

The last July hurricane to make landfall in the U.S. prior to Claudette was hurricane Danny, which struck both SE Louisiana and the Mobile, Alabama area in 1997 (only a year before..1996, hurricane Bertha struck North Carolina in July).

Before Claudette, landfalling July U.S. hurricanes have occurred in 13 seasons in the past century. In 9 of those 13 years, a major hurricane later struck the U.S. during the same season....statistically almost 70% of the time.

PW
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby southerngale » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:40 pm

Interesting information Perry...thanks for posting it.
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”