How many tropical cyclones do you think will form in the Atlantic this July?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

None
33%
One
44%
Two
17%
Three or more
6%

Total votes: 64

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:23 pm

I think we will get one tropical storm in the Atlantic this July, at a high latitude just off the US east coast.

Mods, can you please add a poll, with none, one, two, and three or more as options?
Last edited by CyclonicFury on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

Re: How many tropical cyclones do you think will form in the Atlantic this July?

#2 Postby Hurricane Mike » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:20 am

I'll say none. We could still see potential threats or even a major hurricane in August, but I'm guessing we won't be far down the name list by then. Probably still be on Beryl/Chris/Debby by late August.
1 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

Re: How many tropical cyclones do you think will form in the Atlantic this July?

#3 Postby HurricaneRyan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:31 am

I also agree with none.
1 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#4 Postby StruThiO » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:44 am

Gonna have to go with one
1 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby underthwx » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:54 am

I think there will be 3, hopefully all fish storms.
0 likes   

Weather150
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby Weather150 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:26 pm

One.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#7 Postby wxman57 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:46 am

Zero. Beryl forms second week of August. The month of June ends with a massive cloud of dry, dusty air extending from Africa to the U.S. Gulf Coast. Deep tropics are quite hostile, presently.

5 likes   

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby CFLHurricane » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:17 am

I’m going with zero due to the frigid hostile conditions in generally hostile month. :cold:

I still believe this season will be slightly more active than normal, but we will have to wait for climatology to catch up before the party starts.
1 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby NDG » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:16 am

Two. Maybe one in the GOM and or one or two in the NW subtropical Atlantic. MDR is closed for business during July.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:21 am

I'm going with one. It will be either in the Gulf of Mexico or off the SE U.S. Coast. Not too often are both June and July void of any tropical development in the Atlantic.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:38 pm

One in a few weeks.
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

EasyTiger
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#12 Postby EasyTiger » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:30 am

Going with two. One forms this weekend from the MCS remnants in the NE Gulf. :roll: A second, more vigorous storm at the end of July.
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:16 pm

One.

MDR season doesn’t open till August.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Shell Mound » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:06 am

The strong SAL outbreaks have been extremely commonplace this year. In fact, despite the wet Sahel, the dust levels over the Atlantic are at near-record levels. Combined with the potent TUTT, the SAL is one big reason to wait until August. Beryl is unlikely to form in a July that is so hostile. July also marks the climatological peak strength of the subtropical high (easterly trades), which induces shear and cool SSTs. 2018 will probably be similar to some average-to-below-average seasons from the late 1970s and the 1980s. Several of those years did not feature a first or second named storm prior to August.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:31 am

Well, there's going to be at least one. :lol:
2 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:48 am

I thought there would be one, just didn’t expect it to be in the MDR with the current SAL outbreaks and the state of the SST’s. :eek:

Unlike Bret, TD #4, and Don of last June and July in the Tropical Atlantic this shouldn’t be any indication of what’s to come.
2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby psyclone » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:20 pm

Well I had 0 so I've already busted. Beryl is most impressive given the location and calendar.
2 likes   

BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby BobHarlem » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:42 pm

Well with Beryl & TD#3 (Which will probably become named) this poll was a big bust for most. Including me, who voted "None". I was pretty confident until yesterday.
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#19 Postby NotSparta » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:12 pm

I voted one. My prediction too is a bust
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:26 am

There might be an opportunity for one more storm toward the very end of July, based on the MJO. However, early August may prove to be a better bet.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”