SE Bahamas (Is Invest 91L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
'CaneFreak
Category 5
Category 5

SE Bahamas (Is Invest 91L)

#1 Postby 'CaneFreak » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:13 am

I know we have a bunch of model huggers on here but I see an area of thunderstorms developing near the SE Bahamas sitting in 5 to 10 knots of shear, well removed from the upper trough but is still getting plenty of UL divergence, sitting underneath the Bermuda ridge (providing low level convergence), and already has a weak 850 circulation over the Bahamas. Sure, it doesn't have model support but it is worth discussing right? This moisture would likely get drawn into the trough to bring more rain to the East Coast.
0 likes   

rainstorm

#2 Postby rainstorm » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:08 pm

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/cgi-bin/latest.cgi?ir-e

looks far more interesting than ophelia.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: SE Bahamas

#3 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:59 pm

Good observation CaneFreak. The area of disturbed weather near the SE Bahamas has continued to look better through the day into this early evening. I'll be interested to see if the TWD from NHC will reference that area in about an hour from now.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4 Postby wxman57 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:09 pm

There is a small area of lower shear there, but shear is on the increase as an upper low develops to its southeast and the trof deepens to its immediate west. Just a narrow area of favorable winds for a short time. Should be zipping up the front this weekend.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:16 pm

wxman57 wrote:There is a small area of lower shear there, but shear is on the increase as an upper low develops to its southeast and the trof deepens to its immediate west. Just a narrow area of favorable winds for a short time. Should be zipping up the front this weekend.

Thanks wxman57 for your analysis. So the hostile upper level shear will be commencing soon over that area to effectively keep this system from potentially developing into anything. Plus, as you mentioned, the trough will eventually scoop it up out to sea during the weekend.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby NDG » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Surface pressures are high and showing no signs of lowering much.
Highest vorticity is closer to the mid levels of the atmosphere but has been increasing slightly during the day at H85.
If it was to stick around for a while maybe vorticity would be working its way down but with the approaching trough it will be picked up quickly like mentioned above.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:02 am

Been watching this for the last 24 hrs.

Anti-cyclone has just popped up.

Surface pressure is still a bit high and generally steady and rain-rate has been low in the convection.

If rain-rate picks up, I think we may have a surprise.

I am wondering if it spins up closer to the straights that it may miss the scoop and have a chance to ramp up.

0 likes   

'CaneFreak
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby 'CaneFreak » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:16 am

GCANE wrote:Been watching this for the last 24 hrs.

Anti-cyclone has just popped up.

Surface pressure is still a bit high and generally steady and rain-rate has been low in the convection.

If rain-rate picks up, I think we may have a surprise.

I am wondering if it spins up closer to the straights that it may miss the scoop and have a chance to ramp up.

I agree with the bolded portion but not so much with the underlined portion. I think it just needs one good burst of convection to get that circulation down to the surface...but as far as track...it will likely get slung like a rock in a sling shot up the east coast...not buying this northeast motion offshore nonsense...not with the main upper low over the OV...but it certainly won't miss the trough...
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:05 pm

Current steering

0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Rain rate is picking up to moderate levels and 200mb has quickly shaped up.

JB is scratching his head and so am I.

http://twitter.com/#!/BigJoeBastardi
"Still dont understand why what is near Bahamas is totally ignored. More tstorms than Ophelia http://pic.twitter.com/9gg8f8CX'

0 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#12 Postby AJC3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:56 pm

GCANE wrote:Rain rate is picking up to moderate levels and 200mb has quickly shaped up.

JB is scratching his head and so am I.

http://twitter.com/#!/BigJoeBastardi
"Still dont understand why what is near Bahamas is totally ignored. More tstorms than Ophelia http://pic.twitter.com/9gg8f8CX'

There's a weak inverted trough in that area, and perhaps a little bit more sense of weak cyclonic turning in the METARs and cloud motion vectors compared to yesterday, however pressure from a ship (J8PE4) right in the center of the convection was 1016MB and pressures are actually several millibars lower well to the NW out ahead of this feature. For better or worse, (and right or wrong) JB generally takes a contrarian stance versus NHC and NOAA.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Surface vorticity has formed, IMO, looks broad at the time, pressure in the Bahams are still high around 1012mb but a couple of mb lower than 24 hrs ago.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#14 Postby cycloneye » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:50 pm

10%

DISORGANIZED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS OVER PORTIONS OF THE BAHAMAS
ARE ASSOCIATED WITH A SURFACE TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE. ALTHOUGH
SURFACE PRESSURES IN THE AREA HAVE BEEN FALLING...DEVELOPMENT OF
THIS SYSTEM...IF ANY...WILL BE SLOW TO OCCUR AS IT MOVES GENERALLY
NORTHWARD AT 10 TO 15 MPH. THIS SYSTEM HAS A LOW CHANCE...10
PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

westwind
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#15 Postby westwind » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:07 pm

looks to be organising quite rapidly though it could be related to the MLC not an LLC. The vorticity should have reached to the surface or at least close to the surface. assuming the LLC forms soon 90L should have the oppotunity to strengthen fairly quickly into a storm, so long as the current highly favorable conditions (low shear, warm water and improving outflow due to the anti-cyclone forming above the center.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: SE Bahamas - 10%

#16 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:31 pm

0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#17 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:35 pm

westwind wrote:looks to be organising quite rapidly though it could be related to the MLC not an LLC. The vorticity should have reached to the surface or at least close to the surface. assuming the LLC forms soon 90L should have the oppotunity to strengthen fairly quickly into a storm, so long as the current highly favorable conditions (low shear, warm water and improving outflow due to the anti-cyclone forming above the center.

It would be 91L, they have assigned 90L to the tropical wave near the C.V. Islands earlier today.
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby Dean4Storms » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Getting interesting
0 likes   

bexar
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#19 Postby bexar » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:32 pm

how are the models doing on this thing? 8-)
0 likes   

wx4me
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: SE Bahamas - 10%

#20 Postby wx4me » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:15 pm

National Hurricane Center wrote:Image

2. DISORGANIZED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS OVER PORTIONS OF THE BAHAMAS
ARE ASSOCIATED WITH A SURFACE TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE. ALTHOUGH
SURFACE PRESSURES IN THE AREA HAVE BEEN FALLING...DEVELOPMENT OF
THIS SYSTEM...IF ANY...WILL BE SLOW TO OCCUR AS IT MOVES GENERALLY
NORTHWARD AT 10 TO 15 MPH. THIS SYSTEM HAS A LOW CHANCE...10
PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

So I woud assume if this developes or not, it would steer of to the N.E. Correct?
Last edited by wx4me on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”