Tropical Wave just off African Coast (Is Invest 94L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Tropical Wave just off African Coast (Is Invest 94L)

#1 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:38 am

Is a large complex area that will emerge Africa in 2-3 days. Lat's see in what latitude a low pressure establishes and that is important because the more south it emerges the less hostil conditions it gets down the road. The models hint on development of this area.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

alienstorm
Category 1
Category 1

#2 Postby alienstorm » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Showing development north of the Cape Verde islands and going out to sea.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby gatorcane » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Looks like a massive area. :eek:

I would think it could develop now that we are in the prime of the Cape Verde season plus has some model support.
Last edited by gatorcane on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby galaxy401 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Looks like something in the WPAC! Got to see how this disturbance will do.
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

HurricaneMaster_PR
Category 2
Category 2

Disturbed Weather in West Africa

#5 Postby HurricaneMaster_PR » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Wow. It really looks like a good candidate!
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/gglcontent/natl.gif
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Disturbed Weather in West Africa

#6 Postby angelwing » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Here we go...about time something started
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:58 pm

This one looks like it could be the real deal. Erin was kind of a bonus - it had only sparse model support yet developed anyway.
0 likes   

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Looks like this could be our first monster of the season, if some of the models are correct. :eek:

The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:42 pm

Looking at shear and air maps, I could see this developing BEFORE Cape Verde...
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#10 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:58 pm

It would be interesting to have some surface observations from those countries to see what is going on.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:10 pm

cycloneye wrote:It would be interesting to have some surface observations from those countries to see what is going on.

Sadly, Western Africa is a void of real time surface data.
0 likes   

ouragans
Category 1
Category 1

#12 Postby ouragans » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Hybridstorm_November2001 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:It would be interesting to have some surface observations from those countries to see what is going on.

yes but you can read local media articles regarding heavy rainfalls. let me work on this
0 likes   
Personal forecast disclaimer
This post is a personal point of view, not an information. Please refer to official statements for life-threatening decisions.

David '79, Frederic '79, Hugo '89, Iris, Luis & Marilyn '95, Georges '98, Lenny '99, Dean '07, Irma '17, Maria '17, Fiona '22, Philippe '23, Tammy '23
16°13'33.3,"6N -61°36'39.5"W

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Gustywind » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:03 pm

ouragans wrote:
Hybridstorm_November2001 wrote:

yes but you can read local media articles regarding heavy rainfalls. let me work on this

:) Hi Ouragans. That will be a great job on what you're saying! What about this area of disturbed weather? Do you think that this feature could have an optimistic trip during the next couple of days?
Thanks.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#14 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:06 pm

I found information from Gambia about torrential rains that caused flooding. This was caused by wave that spawned Erin.

Torrential rain and flash flood have affected thousands of people in different communities across the Gambia, Coordinator of National Disaster Management Agency (NDMA) Binta Sey Jadama said on Wednesday. According to the official, the torrential rain that lasted for more than 24 hours Monday through Tuesday night, has inundated several households, causing temporal displacement and the destruction of properties and foodstuff in the tiny West African nation. In Churchill's Town in the Greater Banjul area, roads were not accessible due to the heavy downpour. Vehicles, motor bicycles and pedestrians were swerved away by floods, but so far no death has been reported yet. The drainage system which was dug to mitigate flood was completely blocked and the main bridge toward the Tourism Development Area was also submerged, which halt the traffic for more than two hours. Rescue workers, including Red Cross, Police and officials of the National Road Authority (NRA), spent the rest of the day draining the water. In Upper River Region of the Gambia, the main river that divides the region into two parts was overflooded and ran into the market area in Basse, which affected many residents and vendors. According to the meteorological data, the heavy rain recorded unprecedented volume of 101.2 milliliters. In the past two years, flooding caused millions of dollars in losses in the Gambia and also reduced the earnings of many farmers in the country.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?page ... -40517-GMB
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby gatorcane » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:07 pm

Quite a blob...saved image :eek:

0 likes   

ouragans
Category 1
Category 1

#16 Postby ouragans » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Gustywind wrote:
ouragans wrote:you can read local media articles regarding heavy rainfalls. let me work on this

:) Hi Ouragans. That will be a great job on what you're saying! What about this area of disturbed weather? Do you think that this feature could have an optimistic trip during the next couple of days?
Thanks.

I'm somewhat disapointed because my sources are nearly empty of weather information, like if that was not a primary concern. The info I found was "heavy rain" during the latest election day. It matches cycloneye's timeframe

regarding this system itself, it should be the first "postcard" of the season, but I don't see it as a threat for NE Caribbean. It's too far north over W Africa
0 likes   
Personal forecast disclaimer
This post is a personal point of view, not an information. Please refer to official statements for life-threatening decisions.

David '79, Frederic '79, Hugo '89, Iris, Luis & Marilyn '95, Georges '98, Lenny '99, Dean '07, Irma '17, Maria '17, Fiona '22, Philippe '23, Tammy '23
16°13'33.3,"6N -61°36'39.5"W

alienstorm
Category 1
Category 1

#17 Postby alienstorm » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:32 pm

No model support on this one either takes it NW and disappear
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Gustywind » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:38 pm

ouragans wrote:
Gustywind wrote:
ouragans wrote:you can read local media articles regarding heavy rainfalls. let me work on this

Thanks.

I'm somewhat disapointed because my sources are nearly empty of weather information, like if that was not a primary concern. The info I found was "heavy rain" during the latest election day. It matches cycloneye's timeframe

regarding this system itself, it should be the first "postcard" of the season, but I don't see it as a threat for NE Caribbean. It's too far north over W Africa

:) Thanks to you and your first thoughts. For my part, we should wait a bit and see if this thing could be or not a threat for the islanders of the EC. Let's wait and see.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Hurricaneman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:42 pm

If you look at the 18zGFS it shows this withering up in the central atlantic just like Erin is currently doing and Dorian and Chantal did but this could always be the one that makes it and causes chaos especially if the instability is higher than modeled for this

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

Cainer
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#20 Postby Cainer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:49 pm

Instability still way below normal in the tropical Atlantic, hovering around early June levels. Can't expect much more than a mid-grade tropical storm with such a stable environment persisting in the MDR.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”