2021 Tropical Waves Thread

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Tropical Wave east of the Lesser Antilles

#121 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:07 pm

Towers beginning to fire right over the LLC now.. typically we see large burst and deepening ( even with shear) as this happens.

6 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Strong Tropical Wave emerging from West Africa

#122 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:12 pm

HurricaneFrances04 wrote:Quite a few of the 12Z Euro ensemble members are pretty bullish

https://i.imgur.com/w1Hu0Qr.png

Many of these tracks are very dangerous for the Caribbean Islands and the CONUS. I do not like that many members show intensification after moving past 60W.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#123 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:15 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
HurricaneFrances04 wrote:Quite a few of the 12Z Euro ensemble members are pretty bullish

Many of these tracks are very dangerous for the Caribbean Islands and the CONUS. I do not like that many members show intensification after moving past 60W.

Also I know it is still very early and things can very well change (and I really hope they do), but just because a potent storm that threatens areas near the MDR in June/July is historically rare does not mean it can never happen, and we sometimes simply cannot rely on history to dictate what will happen (especially when it comes down to individual storm behavior).
7 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#124 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:28 pm

I just got a call from September, it wants its wave back :D
14 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:31 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:

Also I know it is still very early and things can very well change (and I really hope they do), but just because a potent storm that threatens areas near the MDR in June/July is historically rare does not mean it can never happen, and we sometimes simply cannot rely on history to dictate what will happen (especially when it comes down to individual storm behavior).

What's really odd is that I looked at the operational Euro, and it shows the storm weakening after reaching 60W. Apparently there must be disagreement of the conditions ahead.
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#126 Postby AutoPenalti » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:33 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:

What's really odd is that I looked at the operational Euro, and it shows the storm weakening after reaching 60W. Apparently there must be disagreement of the conditions ahead.

You are looking at the ensembles which consist of various members with different scenarios, majority of them show a weak TS through out the run which sort of matches with the operational.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:36 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:Towers beginning to fire right over the LLC now.. typically we see large burst and deepening ( even with shear) as this happens.

https://i.ibb.co/xzyxRnR/LABELS-19700101-000000-20.gif

At least you can clearly see the COC unlike Claudette.
10 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:43 pm

LLC is being pulled back into the convection to the east... it has now been covered.

regardless of how long it may survive.. this could easily be upgraded to a TD
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#129 Postby aspen » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:45 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

You are looking at the ensembles which consist of various members with different scenarios, majority of them show a weak TS through out the run which sort of matches with the operational.

We’ll have to see how long this system is able to survive, if it does form in the next few days. It could become a problem down the road if it enters the Caribbean or a favorable environment near the Greater Antilles.
3 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#130 Postby Nimbus » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:11 pm

If the convection is not just a diurnal maximum this has the look of diminishing shear.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#131 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:15 pm

Nimbus wrote:If the convection is not just a diurnal maximum this has the look of diminishing shear.

Thats because it has not made it far enough north to be in the heavy shear. essentially from the LLC south the shear is around 10 kts.

north of that it goes from 15 kts to 20 kts pretty quick.
1 likes   

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#132 Postby Stormybajan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:21 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:Towers beginning to fire right over the LLC now.. typically we see large burst and deepening ( even with shear) as this happens.

https://i.ibb.co/xzyxRnR/LABELS-19700101-000000-20.gif

Honestly right now you wouldnt call that a 10-10 development chance wave lol. It kind of looks like a 80-80 chance of becoming a sheared TD but at the rate its moving (or not moving) im not even sure this is getting to the islands anytime soon. I expected chances to be raised atleast 40-40 at 8
2 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#133 Postby Aric Dunn » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:26 pm

LLC fully tucked under Expanding Convection... it is just below the shear axis and pretty much stationary all day.. Steering suggests short term motion of West.. but we know how that goes.. Still not even an Invest..

4 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#134 Postby Ivanhater » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:30 pm

One one suspect an invest tag coming....
8 likes   
Michael

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#135 Postby aspen » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:39 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:LLC fully tucked under Expanding Convection... it is just below the shear axis and pretty much stationary all day.. Steering suggests short term motion of West.. but we know how that goes.. Still not even an Invest..

https://i.ibb.co/xCVbqPD/LABELS-19700101-000000-82.gif

At the very least, its chances for development should be raised to 30-50%.
8 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#136 Postby toad strangler » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:43 pm

No boredom yet this season and that's saying a ton in late June.
8 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#137 Postby abajan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:01 pm

Nimbus wrote:If the convection is not just a diurnal maximum this has the look of diminishing shear.

But the diurnal maximum at this latitude is actually around 5 AM. We're closer to the diurnal minimum.
6 likes   

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#138 Postby Stormybajan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:06 pm

toad strangler wrote:No boredom yet this season and that's saying a ton in late June.

Its going to be awkward in July when the anomalous activity ends and we get a 2 week break from the tropics :lol: everyone is going to be asking what happened
10 likes   

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#139 Postby Stormybajan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:08 pm

abajan wrote:

But the diurnal maximum at this latitude is actually around 5 AM. We're closer to the diurnal minimum.

Sooo what youre saying is..chances of this developing in atleast a TD are increasing quickly if we are actually closer to the minimum stage
0 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#140 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:25 pm

In addition to a passing CCKW, it appears a rare powerful westerly wind burst in the equatorial Atlantic region associated with the current ongoing Atlantic Niño helps spur genesis on the models. These are depicted as raw westerlies mind you, so background vorticity will definitely be enhanced to help spin this thing up even at such a low latitude.
10 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”