2024 Indicators: SST's, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability (Day 16+ Climate Models)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
kevin
Category 5
Category 5

Re: RE: Re: 2024 Indicators: SST's, ENSO, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability, (Day 16+ Climate Models)

#121 Postby kevin » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:40 am

Teban54 wrote:
Woofde wrote:
aspen wrote:Is 300 ACE even physically possible for the Atlantic? It would probably require a 2005/17 mash-up in terms of overall storm frequency and MDR activity, but I don’t think a season that favorable is possible. Plus, upwelling would become quite an issue after a while.
I think it's **possible** just extremely unlikely. Just have to imagine a season with 2023 levels of warmth, with a 2005 style front half and a 2020 style back half.

I think you'd need a 2005-style early season (June-August), 2017-style MDR season (September) and 2020-style late season (October-November) for that. 2005's MDR season was notably lackluster when compared to similar seasons (only a single Cat 1 Philippe within MDR east of 60W), and its September ACE was mostly helped by the Gulf (Rita) and the subtropics (C3 Maria, C1 Nate, C1 Ophelia).

Such a hypothetical season might actually not be completely detached from reality. The early season (2005-like) is mostly focused on Caribbean and Gulf, allowing the MDR to continue warming up. September (2017-like) instead has the bulk of its activity in the MDR proper, which has been largely untouched, while also allowing the Caribbean time to rebound as storms recurve. (The same is largely true for 2005 and 2020.) Finally, in late season (2020-like), the Caribbean explodes again after getting a break in September. This would address a lot of the upwelling problems that aspen mentioned.

Of course, this is still very, very unlikely to happen.

Using the numbers from those seasons you'd get this.

2005 ACE (June-August) = 102.5
2017 ACE (September) = 172.5
2020 ACE (October-November) = 73.0
Total ACE = 348

Edit:
This theoretical season would have the following additional statistics
NS: 24
H: 16
MH: 12
C5: 4
Last edited by kevin on Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 likes   

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

Re: RE: Re: 2024 Indicators: SST's, ENSO, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability, (Day 16+ Climate Models)

#122 Postby JetFuel_SE » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:22 am

kevin wrote:
Teban54 wrote:
Woofde wrote:I think it's **possible** just extremely unlikely. Just have to imagine a season with 2023 levels of warmth, with a 2005 style front half and a 2020 style back half.

I think you'd need a 2005-style early season (June-August), 2017-style MDR season (September) and 2020-style late season (October-November) for that. 2005's MDR season was notably lackluster when compared to similar seasons (only a single Cat 1 Philippe within MDR east of 60W), and its September ACE was mostly helped by the Gulf (Rita) and the subtropics (C3 Maria, C1 Nate, C1 Ophelia).

Such a hypothetical season might actually not be completely detached from reality. The early season (2005-like) is mostly focused on Caribbean and Gulf, allowing the MDR to continue warming up. September (2017-like) instead has the bulk of its activity in the MDR proper, which has been largely untouched, while also allowing the Caribbean time to rebound as storms recurve. (The same is largely true for 2005 and 2020.) Finally, in late season (2020-like), the Caribbean explodes again after getting a break in September. This would address a lot of the upwelling problems that aspen mentioned.

Of course, this is still very, very unlikely to happen.

Using the numbers from those seasons you'd get this.

2005 ACE (June-August) = 102.5
2017 ACE (September) = 172.5
2020 ACE (October-November) = 73.0
Total ACE = 348

Crazy how 2017 had hyperactive ACE in just September.
3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 Indicators: SST's, ENSO, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability, (Day 16+ Climate Models)

#123 Postby cycloneye » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:02 pm

tolakram wrote:Will this be the most over-hyped season ever? :lol: I get the indicators are all pointing hyperactive but the spring barrier looms large, as it does every year.

Agree 100%. The SB will be very important to watch at that period to see how things are evolving.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

Re: 2024 Indicators: SST's, ENSO, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability, (Day 16+ Climate Models)

#124 Postby zzzh » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:05 pm

:uarrow: Fun fact: Jan Atlantic SSTa have a higher correlation with seasonal ace than Feb/Mar/Apr/May. :lol:
5 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#125 Postby cycloneye » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:23 pm

Well, at least the 2024 season will not break record of the earliest formation on record as it was on January 3, 1938. :D The 2023 Unnamed Subtropical Storm formed on January 16. Can I say it? Season canceled. :cheesy:
From Wikipedia:

Seasonal activity began with the formation of a tropical or subtropical cyclone over the northeastern Atlantic on January 3, the earliest occurrence in a calendar year (earliest start to a season) on record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_Atla ... ane_season
15 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

ChrisH-UK
Category 1
Category 1

#126 Postby ChrisH-UK » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:44 am

zzzh wrote::uarrow: Fun fact: Jan Atlantic SSTa have a higher correlation with seasonal ace than Feb/Mar/Apr/May. :lol:

In that case were buggered, Highest ever SST in January maybe an ACE of 300 might be true.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#127 Postby tolakram » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:11 am

Do we believe that we can accurately predict the most active season ever? So far that effort has failed in a pretty big way. No way to answer this question of course, just food for thought. :lol:
9 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#128 Postby SFLcane » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:28 pm

I don't think anyone at this lead time is predicting the busiest season ever which i might add is a very subjective term. We can have 30 named storms if they all stay out to sea nobody cares. Right now just based on early climate model predictions enso, sst's etc a very busy season near or over 200+ ace is likely if the Atlantic stays this warm with a neutral or la nina conditions around come ASO. Surely there are many other factors that matter when forecasting tropical cyclones but the early signs point to a busy one ahead the million dollar question will be FOR WHO? We will know more in May/June. Stay Tuned!
7 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#129 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:24 pm

SFLcane wrote:I don't think anyone at this lead time is predicting the busiest season ever which i might add is a very subjective term. We can have 30 named storms if they all stay out to sea nobody cares. Right now just based on early climate model predictions enso, sst's etc a very busy season near or over 200+ ace is likely if the Atlantic stays this warm with a neutral or la nina conditions around come ASO. Surely there are many other factors that matter when forecasting tropical cyclones but the early signs point to a busy one ahead the million dollar question will be FOR WHO? We will know more in May/June. Stay Tuned!

Important to mention among the factors is the +AMO that was present in 2023 and continues in January 2024.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#130 Postby SFLcane » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:32 pm

cycloneye wrote:
SFLcane wrote:I don't think anyone at this lead time is predicting the busiest season ever which i might add is a very subjective term. We can have 30 named storms if they all stay out to sea nobody cares. Right now just based on early climate model predictions enso, sst's etc a very busy season near or over 200+ ace is likely if the Atlantic stays this warm with a neutral or la nina conditions around come ASO. Surely there are many other factors that matter when forecasting tropical cyclones but the early signs point to a busy one ahead the million dollar question will be FOR WHO? We will know more in May/June. Stay Tuned!

Important to mention among the factors is the +AMO that was present in 2023 and continues in January 2024.

Indeed!
1 likes   

mixedDanilo.E
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#131 Postby mixedDanilo.E » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:33 pm

aspen wrote:
SFLcane wrote:fyi.. the problem is the 300 ace honestly was not a really a joke the way i see it the potential we are seeing on these climate models is very worrisome for this season. Hope things change

Is 300 ACE even physically possible for the Atlantic? It would probably require a 2005/17 mash-up in terms of overall storm frequency and MDR activity, but I don’t think a season that favorable is possible. Plus, upwelling would become quite an issue after a while.

I think it's possible but the Atlantic would have to be record warm (as warm or warmer than last year which we're on track to doing), and it has to be hyperactive throughout the whole season pretty much. And we'll definitely need the help from the MDR unlike 05 in which most of the worst storms formed west of 60W.
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#132 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:44 pm

tolakram wrote:Do we believe that we can accurately predict the most active season ever? So far that effort has failed in a pretty big way. No way to answer this question of course, just food for thought. :lol:

As far as we can tell, we could have a 20/10/6 season that produces 160 ACE. Or 200 ACE. Or 250 ACE. Or 300 ACE. Or we could have a 34/16/8 season that produces 160 ACE. Or 200 ACE. Or 250 ACE. Or 300 ACE. Exactly how busy this season will be is certainly unknown at this point in time, but what we do know is that there are more than one signs that point toward a potentially busy season.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

WeatherBoy2000
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#133 Postby WeatherBoy2000 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:58 am

https://twitter.com/AndyHazelton/status/1748349838079488159

2010 went on to have the warmest mdr on record at the time.
0 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#134 Postby weeniepatrol » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:04 pm

cycloneye wrote:Well, at least the 2024 season will not break record of the earliest formation on record as it was on January 3, 1938. :D The 2023 Unnamed Subtropical Storm formed on January 16. Can I say it? Season canceled. :cheesy:
From Wikipedia:

Seasonal activity began with the formation of a tropical or subtropical cyclone over the northeastern Atlantic on January 3, the earliest occurrence in a calendar year (earliest start to a season) on record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_Atla ... ane_season

You know what season also didn’t have January activity? Thats right ,,, 2013!!! :lol: :lol:

2013 confirmed!!!
4 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#135 Postby weeniepatrol » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:05 pm

tolakram wrote:Do we believe that we can accurately predict the most active season ever? So far that effort has failed in a pretty big way. No way to answer this question of course, just food for thought. :lol:

Even the noaa and csu seasonals in AUGUST were too low in 2005. I doubt it
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#136 Postby tolakram » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:08 pm

weeniepatrol wrote:

I was thinking more of 2006:

CSU May 31, 2006 17 9 5

or that one other season I always get upset about when people mention it.

CSU June 3, 2013 18 9 4
4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby CyclonicFury » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:12 pm

tolakram wrote:
weeniepatrol wrote:

I was thinking more of 2006:

CSU May 31, 2006 17 9 5

or that one other season I always get upset about when people mention it.

CSU June 3, 2013 18 9 4

On the flip side, 2010 and 2020 both had very high forecasts and both seasons ended up hyperactive, even though 2010's ACE was slightly lower than expected and 2020's raw numbers were significantly higher than expected. There have been some hurricane seasons expected to be very active that verified as such, though to what extent is hard to forecast.
9 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#138 Postby SFLcane » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:02 pm

Seasonal forecast have come a long way and have improved greatly in recent years let alone 2006, 2013. I have great respect for Philp k and his work IF the Atlantic warming holds with a la nina by peak of hurricane season i have no doupt Philp's April forecast could be record high with good reason. As mentioned if its record busy who exactly will it be for Nemo or the Conus we shall see.
2 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#139 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:20 pm

SFLcane wrote:Seasonal forecast have come a long way and have improved greatly in recent years let alone 2006, 2013. I have great respect for Philp k and his work IF the Atlantic warming holds with a la nina by peak of hurricane season i have no doupt Philp's April forecast could be record high with good reason. As mentioned if its record busy who exactly will it be for Nemo or the Conus we shall see.

They have improved, yes, but that doesn't mean they are perfect. 2022 wasn't that long ago
5 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#140 Postby Steve » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:05 pm

Maybe not accurately? I’ve been reading them since Colorado State would mail them every year. Constant tweaks and new methodologies along with new experts studying relevant factors has us where we generally have a good idea of what’s going to happen, especially once we get to the start of the season. Some years we discover enhancing and inhibiting factors like dry mid level air, wave break patterns, x or y index being found relevant, global rainfall patterns and such. I doubt they’ll ever be able to simulate an entire season though they are trying. Probably within a few years, AI will get us close.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”