Western Caribbean Area of Interest: (Is INVEST 90L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: SW Caribbean Area of Interest

#21 Postby toad strangler » Thu May 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Possible Andrea 2013 analog here .....
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby LarryWx » Thu May 17, 2018 2:39 pm

History since 1851 of W Caribbean/GOM geneses during 5/21-31: 5 trop. storms but no hurricanes

1) 5/30/2008's TS Arthur: strongest 40 knots/1004 mb when it hit Belize 5/31
2) 5/28/1959's TS Arlene: strongest 50 knots/1000 mb when 100 miles S of LA 5/30; hit LA 5/30 with 40 knot max; the only GOM genesis of these 5
3) 5/25/1953's TS Alice: hit W Cuba 5/31 with 50 knot max; strongest 60 knots/997 mb when in NE GOM 6/5; hit FL panhandle 6/6 with 40 knot max
4) 5/27/1890's TS #1: strongest 50 knots in SE Gulf on 5/29; falls aparts in open SE Gulf
5) 5/29/1865's TS #1: strongest 50 knots in SW Caribbean, the only position recorded

In summary, the highest recorded wind max on land of these was a 50 knot hit on W Cuba. The highest on the US/Belize was 40 knots. The highest in any point of the track of these 5 was 60 knots (high end TS). Based on this, IF there is going to be a TC hit anywhere on land, I have to favor no stronger than a TS.
Last edited by LarryWx on Thu May 17, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby LarryWx » Thu May 17, 2018 2:42 pm

# of W Caribbean/GOM geneses since 1851

May 1-10: 2
May 11-20: 4
May 21-31: 5
June 1-10: 16
june 11-20: 26
Last edited by LarryWx on Thu May 17, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#24 Postby NotSparta » Thu May 17, 2018 3:02 pm

Shell Mound wrote:
Alyono wrote:EC does not exactly look all that tropical

I am actually skeptical about development. The EPS shows a significant anticyclonic wave-breaking event over the eastern U.S. in a week and substantial influence from the subtropical jet, which would tend to strongly shear out vorticity. That kind of pattern might be too unfavourable even for a subtropical/hybrid mess to develop, as there will be dry, continental air wrapping into the circulation, owing to the likelihood of a backdoor surface cold front stalling over the eastern Gulf of Mexico. On the run, you can see very weak to nonexistent northerlies on the west side of the ostensible system, suggesting that a closed low might not even be present. Instead of development, I am leaning toward a strung-out series of vorticity lobes ahead of a cold front, possibly inducing locally heavy rainfall over Cuba and the Bahamas, but perhaps passing far enough to the east that the heaviest rainfall stays to the east of mainland South Florida and/or most of the Keys.

Doesn't that pull the SJ north (as I've been hearing), which would allow it to develop?
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby gatorcane » Thu May 17, 2018 3:11 pm

Does anybody have a plot of the ECMWF ensembles?
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#26 Postby wxman57 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:18 pm

gatorcane wrote:Does anybody have a plot of the ECMWF ensembles?

Yes, I do. It's not legal for me to post it here, though. I can tell you that the members are spread between the mouth of the Mississippi and the southern tip of Florida. Mean is near or a little south of Tampa.
4 likes   

Miami Storm Tracker
Category 3
Category 3

#27 Postby Miami Storm Tracker » Thu May 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Hey Gator been a while, your comparison between the GFS and the Euro run with one showing a weaker system, may be form land interaction with Cuba compared to the other being slightly east. Either way if anything gets going we will be back in the soup.
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#28 Postby TheProfessor » Thu May 17, 2018 4:01 pm

I don't like the east shift on the Euro. There are still a few good Euro ensembles for me in Jamaica but there some really bad ones too. 1.5-4" seems prevalent on the ensembles while I'm in Jamaica which would be a downer.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby gatorcane » Thu May 17, 2018 4:02 pm

LarryWx wrote:History since 1851 of W Caribbean/GOM geneses during 5/21-31: 5 trop. storms but no hurricanes

1) 5/30/2008's TS Arthur: strongest 40 knots/1004 mb when it hit Belize 5/31
2) 5/28/1959's TS Arlene: strongest 50 knots/1000 mb when 100 miles S of LA 5/30; hit LA 5/30 with 40 knot max; the only GOM genesis of these 5
3) 5/25/1953's TS Alice: hit W Cuba 5/31 with 50 knot max; strongest 60 knots/997 mb when in NE GOM 6/5; hit FL panhandle 6/6 with 40 knot max
4) 5/27/1890's TS #1: strongest 50 knots in SE Gulf on 5/29; falls aparts in open SE Gulf
5) 5/29/1865's TS #1: strongest 50 knots in SW Caribbean, the only position recorded

In summary, the highest recorded wind max on land of these was a 50 knot hit on W Cuba. The highest on the US/Belize was 40 knots. The highest in any point of the track of these 5 was 60 knots (high end TS). Based on this, IF there is going to be a TC hit anywhere on land, I have to favor no stronger than a TS.

So are you suggesting that the 06Z FV3 GFS 941MB Hurricane off of the LA coast at 312 hours is just a tiny bit off? :lol:

Thanks for those stats, best bet if there is any development at all would be something sheared or even subtropical so not a wind issue but more of a rain/flooding issue.
3 likes   

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Javlin » Thu May 17, 2018 4:28 pm

cycloneye wrote:Let's open a thread for the area that the increasing consensus among the models show developing.There is convection in the SW Caribbean at this time so let's post away.

Luis and NDG were are you guys uploading your satellites views from?I do not like the new format the NHC is using and NDG I went to MSFC but none look like yours CONUS and Full Disk?
0 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby TheAustinMan » Thu May 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Javlin wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Let's open a thread for the area that the increasing consensus among the models show developing.There is convection in the SW Caribbean at this time so let's post away.

Luis and NDG were are you guys uploading your satellites views from?I do not like the new format the NHC is using and NDG I went to MSFC but none look like yours CONUS and Full Disk?

RAMSDIS provides some floaters of the type you're looking for. Here's a link: http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/tropical.asp
0 likes   
ImageImageImage
Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#32 Postby StruThiO » Thu May 17, 2018 5:36 pm

0 likes   

drezee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby drezee » Thu May 17, 2018 5:38 pm

The system will have a tough time bundling energy on the way north. The European solution basically shows that until around Jax. At that point, the physics used frictional effects to tighten the center. It could just as easily be on west coast of Florida. FL get ready for a ton of rain...
0 likes   

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#34 Postby Dylan » Thu May 17, 2018 6:10 pm

The European ensembles are lighting up like a Christmas tree with this potential system. Still a long way out, but we’ve seen this movie before. Definitely has my attention, along with others.
5 likes   
Georges('98), Allison('01), Isidore('02), Lili('02), Frances('04) Ivan('04), Cindy('05), Katrina('05), Rita('05), Gustav('08), Isaac('12), Matthew('16), Harvey('17), Irma('17), Nate ('17), Ida ('21).

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#35 Postby Dylan » Thu May 17, 2018 6:16 pm

Dylan wrote:The European ensembles are lighting up like a Christmas tree with this potential system. Still a long way out, but we’ve seen this movie before. Definitely has my attention, along with others.

I’d also like to mention that I wouldn’t take the doomsday models seriously. It’s mid-May. Conditions will be marginal at best in the Gulf, and that might be a generous word to use based on ensemble solutions. If anything comes out of this, expect your typical early season tropical storm. Not a Category 3, that’s ludicrous based on the current and forecasted conditions.
4 likes   
Georges('98), Allison('01), Isidore('02), Lili('02), Frances('04) Ivan('04), Cindy('05), Katrina('05), Rita('05), Gustav('08), Isaac('12), Matthew('16), Harvey('17), Irma('17), Nate ('17), Ida ('21).

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu May 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Dylan wrote:
Dylan wrote:The European ensembles are lighting up like a Christmas tree with this potential system. Still a long way out, but we’ve seen this movie before. Definitely has my attention, along with others.

I’d also like to mention that I wouldn’t take the doomsday models seriously. It’s mid-May. Conditions will be marginal at best in the Gulf, and that might be a generous word to use based on ensemble solutions. If anything comes out of this, expect your typical early season tropical storm. Not a Category 3, that’s ludicrous based on the current and forecasted conditions.

Fully agree. If something develops, I expect a sheared TS at most. Wind shear will likely be about 25-30 kt which should prevent significant strengthening if a TC develops.
2 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#37 Postby WeatherEmperor » Thu May 17, 2018 6:25 pm

18z GFS is near south florida. Looks sheared perhaps??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 likes   

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#38 Postby Dylan » Thu May 17, 2018 6:29 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
Dylan wrote:

Fully agree. If something develops, I expect a sheared TS at most. Wind shear will likely be about 25-30 kt which should prevent significant strengthening if a TC develops.

The 25 knot westerly shear will help it develop bursts of convection, but will also limit its potential.
2 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#39 Postby Alyono » Thu May 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Dylan wrote:

if this were to become a hurricane, it probably would have the best chance to do so east of Florida and the Carolinas. May have more baroclinic forcing there, as well as more divergent flow
3 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby blp » Thu May 17, 2018 6:41 pm

Navgem too fast and too strong.

1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”