Will Laura be upgraded to a cat 5 landfall?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Will Laura be upgraded to a Cat 5 landfall?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Yes
10%
No
90%

Total votes: 101

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Will Laura be upgraded to a cat 5 landfall?

#21 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:02 pm

Doubtful IMO

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
1 likes   
Bertha 96' - Fran 96' - Bonnie 98' - Dennis 99' - Floyd 99' - Isabel 03' - Alex 04' - Ophelia 05' - Irene 11' - Arthur 14' - Matthew 16' - Florence 18' - Dorian 19' - Isaias 20' (countless other tropical storms and Hurricane swipes)

I am not a Professional Met just an enthusiast. Get your weather forecasts from the Pros!

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby Ubuntwo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:09 pm

Audrey2Katrina wrote:"both of these anemometers failed soon after" The anemometers at Lake Charles worked as it approached, as it passed, and after it passed to the west slightly. The Buoy never failed in its wind readings all the way through, so I think the comparison to Michael fails on that aspect. Bottom line is we'll never really know, because unlike Michael, no major populated areas or structures around landfall, hence those who want to believe it was 150 or more will believe it, and those who don't won't... regardless of what they are presented with. And I believe that applies to both sides. ;)

https://twitter.com/jgodwinWX/status/1298888238959132673

^ easily verifiable there

The coastal Calcasieu Pass station did survive and record both sides of the storm supporting nothing more than a cat 2, but since it didn't receive the RFQ winds were likely higher elsewhere. You're right though - you'd expect higher winds recorded for a 150mph landfall even outside of the RMW. Needs further analysis by the pros there.

Helicopter footage over Cameron looks like high-end cat 3 tree damage? If anyone more knowledgeable wants to pitch in.

Only populated area that might have received the max winds/surge is Creole, LA though I've yet to see any footage out of there.

Think your last sentences hit the money and that's probably why the NHC will leave landfall intensity as-is.
3 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Fancy1001
Category 1
Category 1

#23 Postby Fancy1001 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:27 pm

I really want it to be so that I don't lose a bet, but I think it might have peaked at 155. If it had slowed down earlier so that it had another few hours over water, I think it might have reached 160.
1 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#24 Postby Nuno » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:32 pm

The damage seems more similar to what was seen after Charley rather than a Michael. Though since so much of the impacts were over rural locations we may not be seeing where the worst of it passed through.
2 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

#25 Postby Chris90 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:42 pm

I go with no. I think the only evidence that can possibly support it is that radar capture that was posted that measured 223mph with 6 bins surrounding it greater than 200mph, and even then, that was attributed to a mesovort.

Michael got his upgrade because there was A LOT of evidence. SFMR, Flight level, and radar analysis all supported Michael getting 140kts, and there's a possibility he was actually a touch higher at 145kts, the evidence just wasn't quite strong enough to go there. Laura doesn't have nearly enough going for her. I can see a bump to 135kts being justified due to 145kts flight level and a few 133kt SFMR readings, but that's her ceiling in my opinion.
3 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:52 pm

No. Now if it was a 155mph storm at landfall that would make more of an argument. Not to mention pressure was only 937 millibars at landfall which is not indicative of a Cat.5.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Shell Mound » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:05 am

Audrey2Katrina wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:I think no, strongest gusts were not anywhere close to Category 5 force, and the highest flight level and SFMR winds do not support Category 5 intensity.

Practically no surface observations along the coast where the highest winds would have occurred. Regardless, I don’t think cat5 winds existed there and 150mph is probably justified.

Personally, I don't believe any 150 mph winds hit anywhere at landfall. I know about recon and doppler measurements but every surface based instrument where the storm came in, and all readings from Lake Charles Airport, and from University of Florida in the areas around there, both before, and those after the storm, none of them that I saw showed anything sustained over 109 mph. Now I'm sure there were embedded winds much higher--but not enough to say it was 150 sustained. I'll say definitely not. Pressure isn't quite low enough either although I think it maxed intensity at 938 hPa which I suppose would make it "possible", I say nope.

Do you have any theories as to why the winds derived from reconnaissance and radar data seemingly were not mixing down to the surface?
1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby Ubuntwo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:11 am

Shell Mound wrote:
Audrey2Katrina wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:Practically no surface observations along the coast where the highest winds would have occurred. Regardless, I don’t think cat5 winds existed there and 150mph is probably justified.

Personally, I don't believe any 150 mph winds hit anywhere at landfall. I know about recon and doppler measurements but every surface based instrument where the storm came in, and all readings from Lake Charles Airport, and from University of Florida in the areas around there, both before, and those after the storm, none of them that I saw showed anything sustained over 109 mph. Now I'm sure there were embedded winds much higher--but not enough to say it was 150 sustained. I'll say definitely not. Pressure isn't quite low enough either although I think it maxed intensity at 938 hPa which I suppose would make it "possible", I say nope.

Do you have any theories as to why the winds derived from reconnaissance and radar data seemingly were not mixing down to the surface?

Not OP but here's a take: dropsondes right before landfall indicated good mixing all the way down, so I'm guessing the frictional effects from land + a well-forecasted rapid weakening around and after landfall have a lot to do with it. It had also leveled off leading up to LF, and usually that means poorer translation of winds overland.
3 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#29 Postby Hurricane Mike » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:16 am

Nah, I think 125-135 kt was the intensity. I'd stay with 130 kt.
1 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Shell Mound » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:44 am

Ubuntwo wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:
Audrey2Katrina wrote:

Not OP but here's a take: dropsondes right before landfall indicated good mixing all the way down, so I'm guessing the frictional effects from land + a well-forecasted rapid weakening around and after landfall have a lot to do with it. It had also leveled off leading up to LF, and usually that means poorer translation of winds overland.

What would be your estimate as to Laura’s maximum sustained winds at the time of landfall? Personally, I would side with a peak of 135 knots several hours prior to landfall, followed by weakening to 105–115 knots by the time of landfall. Even though the MSLP may have been lower at landfall, the winds were also lower, so Laura likely peaked offshore, when its wind field was more compact and its ambient (environmental) pressure higher. As Laura neared the coastline, increasing vertical wind shear, combined with cooler shelf waters and a broadening of the pressure gradient, induced less efficient mixing of higher winds to the surface, so the TC weakened just before and as it made landfall, with high-end Cat-3 or low-end Cat-4 winds affecting a very small region of unpopulated coastline between Creole and Grand Chenier, LA.
2 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

gfsperpendicular
Category 1
Category 1

#31 Postby gfsperpendicular » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:51 am

TheStormExpert wrote:No. Now if it was a 155mph storm at landfall that would make more of an argument. Not to mention pressure was only 937 millibars at landfall which is not indicative of a Cat.5.

If Laura doesn't get upgraded (and I don't think she will), it won't be because of the pressure. Laura was pressed against a very strong ridge and the pressure gradient made very strong winds. That's why the strongest winds were in the NE quad and not the NW quad. And Matthew, who was in a somewhat similar situation, was a cat 5 at 934 mb.
2 likes   
I'm not sleeping, I'm waiting for the 0900 UTC advisory!

#1 CMC stan

NotoSans
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby NotoSans » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:08 am

:uarrow: Matthew’s assessment was based on SFMR winds alone, but from 2017 onwards NHC has become skeptical of SFMR’s performance under very high winds. Once research into SFMR is completed, Matthew’s downgrade to category 4 in re-analysis cannot be ruled out.

That said, for Laura, there aren’t even SFMR winds supporting category 5.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC and NWS products.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#33 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:14 pm

I don't think so. The data, for the most part, does not support such.
2 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#34 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:17 pm

Nuno wrote:The damage seems more similar to what was seen after Charley rather than a Michael. Though since so much of the impacts were over rural locations we may not be seeing where the worst of it passed through.

I agree. The wind damage from the trees look like something you'd expect from a cat 4 - also comparable to, say, Harvey in Rockport. The maximum winds were over places swamped by storm surge and very remote areas that it will be hard to analyze. However, Lake Charles had damage indicative of cat 3 and it is 30 miles "inland" (although the swamps would slow weakening compared to solid land).
2 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#35 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:59 pm

Regarding the Lake Charles ASOS station, it did spend at least 1 1/2 hours in the eyewall but not the eye. The pressure bottomed out there at 956 mb, but remained in the high 950s for an extended period as the barometer remained on throughout. Note that Sulphur, where Josh Morgerman measured 948 mb in the eye, is about 12 miles farther inland. The maximum winds should have been in the eyewall as the eye was passing almost due west of LCH (based on the exposure of the site which aligned well with the direction of motion). Based on its forward motion, that would have been about 2:15 am CDT - about 20 minutes after the last wind reading came back.

It is likely that LCH could have recorded winds sustained of category 3 level had it remained on throughout the storm, but certainly not 150 mph. Those winds would have been on the open Gulf just southwest of Creole with the maximum exposure over water. Few houses are there - there are a small number at the end of Rutherford Beach Road (29.760N, 93.129W) that might have caught the absolute maximum. As the eye likely went right over Calcasieu Lake, it is unlikely any sites on the lake would have been aligned perfectly to capture the maximum winds.

https://twitter.com/CC_StormWatch/status/1299467513101774853

2 likes   

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby supercane4867 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:43 pm

Michael was a clear cut case for T7.0 140kts
Laura was a clear cut case for T6.5 plus ADT would yield 130kts
Harvey was a clear cut case for T6.0 115kts

Dvorak and satellite estimates had been spot on with them. Well in-line with actual intensities.

https://twitter.com/weatherdak/status/1299196156057063424

5 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby Ubuntwo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:57 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Regarding the Lake Charles ASOS station, it did spend at least 1 1/2 hours in the eyewall but not the eye. The pressure bottomed out there at 956 mb, but remained in the high 950s for an extended period as the barometer remained on throughout. Note that Sulphur, where Josh Morgerman measured 948 mb in the eye, is about 12 miles farther inland. The maximum winds should have been in the eyewall as the eye was passing almost due west of LCH (based on the exposure of the site which aligned well with the direction of motion). Based on its forward motion, that would have been about 2:15 am CDT - about 20 minutes after the last wind reading came back.

It is likely that LCH could have recorded winds sustained of category 3 level had it remained on throughout the storm, but certainly not 150 mph. Those winds would have been on the open Gulf just southwest of Creole with the maximum exposure over water. Few houses are there - there are a small number at the end of Rutherford Beach Road (29.760N, 93.129W) that might have caught the absolute maximum. As the eye likely went right over Calcasieu Lake, it is unlikely any sites on the lake would have been aligned perfectly to capture the maximum winds.

https://twitter.com/CC_StormWatch/status/1299467513101774853

This is all that's left of that area. From the aerial damage survey.
2 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#38 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:14 pm

Ubuntwo wrote:

That is truly unsurvivable. I hope everyone there evacuated.

In terms of the intensity analysis, what is the KZC wind estimate for a pressure of 936 mb at landfall? I don't have it on me.
1 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#39 Postby Ivanhater » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:27 am

Poll closes today at 3:01 PM EDT
1 likes   
Michael

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby 1900hurricane » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:13 am

CrazyC83 wrote:
Ubuntwo wrote:

That is truly unsurvivable. I hope everyone there evacuated.

In terms of the intensity analysis, what is the KZC wind estimate for a pressure of 936 mb at landfall? I don't have it on me.

Backtracking through KZC for Vmax using 936 mb and the rest of the 06Z best track data yields about 120 kt. It should be noted that Laura was running a little above the KZC expectations on its entire passage through the Gulf of Mexico.
2 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”