2019 and 2020 Cyclones Retirement (both years to be announced in 2021)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Re: 2019 and 2020 Cyclones Retirement (both years to be announced in 2021)

#221 Postby somethingfunny » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:17 am

Nuno wrote:Even if the name Delta is somehow eligible for retirement, we're in agreement that it is highly unlikely a candidate for such?

I have down only Laura and Sally as storms likely to be retired.

You mean Hurricane Skanska?
1 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

BadLarry95
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#222 Postby BadLarry95 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:52 pm

Updated list

Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal 15%
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gonzalo
Hanna 10%
Isaias 50%
Josephine
Kyle
Laura 100%
Marco
Nana 2%
Omar
Paulette
Rene
Sally 75%
Teddy 5%
Vicky
Wilfred
Alpha
Beta
Gamma
Delta 20%
Epsilon
Zeta 30%
Eta 90%
Last edited by BadLarry95 on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#223 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:14 am

BadLarry95 wrote:Updated list

Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal 15%
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gonzalo
Hanna 10%
Isaias 50%
Josephine
Kyle
Laura 100%
Marco
Nana 2%
Omar
Paulette
Rene
Sally 75%
Teddy 5%
Vicky
Wilfred
Alpha
Beta
Gamma
Delta 20%

I give Cristobal a 5% since there were minor damage
Hanna is still 10% for me
Isaias is 70% because of damaging tornadoes & severe flooding in Haiti
Laura is 100% because of very severe damage.
Nana is 1% because of very little damage reported in Belize.
Sally is 85% for me because of extreme flooding in Alabama, Mississippi, Panhandle Florida, & Gerogia
I give Delta a 40% as 'Delta 2020' because of damage at Cancun, Mexico , & insult to injury at Louisiana. Would have been 80% if the mid-level shear never increased.

(I was in a hurry typing this out.)
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#224 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:06 am

Iceresistance wrote:

Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal 15%
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gonzalo
Hanna 10%
Isaias 50%
Josephine
Kyle
Laura 100%
Marco
Nana 2%
Omar
Paulette
Rene
Sally 75%
Teddy 5%
Vicky
Wilfred
Alpha
Beta
Gamma
Delta 20%

Sally is 85% for me because of extreme flooding in Alabama, Mississippi, Panhandle Florida, & Gerogia
I give Delta a 40% as 'Delta 2020' because of damage at Cancun, Mexico , & insult to injury at Louisiana. Would have been 80% if the mid-level shear never increased.

I think they should retire Laura and maaayyybe Sally, and nothing else from this season.
3 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#225 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:40 am

Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal 15%
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gonzalo
Hanna 10%
Isaias 50%
Josephine
Kyle
Laura 100%
Marco
Nana 2%
Omar
Paulette
Rene
Sally 75%
Teddy 5%
Vicky
Wilfred
Alpha
Beta
Gamma
Delta 20%

I think they should retire Laura and maaayyybe Sally, and nothing else from this season.

Sally caused very severe flooding because how slow it moved.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#226 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:25 am

Iceresistance wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:I give Cristobal a 5% since there were minor damage

Sally caused very severe flooding because how slow it moved.

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing Sally axed, but I mentioned earlier in this thread my thoughts on retiring too many names. I'm too lazy to type it out again though lol
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#227 Postby NorthieStangl » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:23 pm

Has anyone considered the possibility of EPac Amanda getting retired from that list? 40 deaths should put it into consideration, especially in El Salvador's case, or 55 deaths if you include those attributed to Cristobal, including those in Mexico from both storms. After all, Alma was retired for much less back in 2008.

Out of the Atlantic basin, Dorian, Laura, and Sally should be shoo-in for retirement, but I wouldn't count out Imelda, Isaias, Delta, or even an special case (Connie/Diane, Isidore/Lili) type retirement for both Amanda and Cristobal.
1 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#228 Postby ClarCari » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:10 pm

NorthieStangl wrote:Has anyone considered the possibility of EPac Amanda getting retired from that list? 40 deaths should put it into consideration, especially in El Salvador's case, or 55 deaths if you include those attributed to Cristobal, including those in Mexico from both storms. After all, Alma was retired for much less back in 2008.

Out of the Atlantic basin, Dorian, Laura, and Sally should be shoo-in for retirement, but I wouldn't count out Imelda, Isaias, Delta, or even an special case (Connie/Diane, Isidore/Lili) type retirement for both Amanda and Cristobal.

Imelda has a 0.0000000...% chance of getting retired. As a fellow Texas hardly anybody could tell you what the name means besides maybe sounding like a Disney villain or something lol. Imelda was too short lived, and there have been normal rain events that lingered and caused more flooding then she did. Storms like Allison were at least named a hella lot longer than Imelda, and the only people really bringing up Imelda’s retirement are some of the meteorologically inclined minded like us who look at it as a statistic and not an event that people will remember which is the whole point of retiring storms.

I could see Amanda getting the boot but probably not Cristobal as it would probably be seen as an extension of Amanda in their eyes but idk for sure. Delta is overshadowed by Laura so it may get overlooked. Idk if the Yucatan would bother asking for it’s retirement either considering they’ve let worse slide (Emily 2005).

Isaias is a maybeee but my opinion it wasn’t memorable enough after all was said and done, just a name people had alot of trouble with. :lol: There was a big tornado outbreak though so we’ll see.

I’m curious if the Azores would call for Lorenzo. I could see that as a possibility.
From a U.S. standpoint only as I can’t speak on other countries, I’d say Dorian and Laura are gone for sure, and Sally very likely with a small chance some people forget about her.
2 likes   

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#229 Postby NorthieStangl » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:08 pm

ClarCari wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:Has anyone considered the possibility of EPac Amanda getting retired from that list? 40 deaths should put it into consideration, especially in El Salvador's case, or 55 deaths if you include those attributed to Cristobal, including those in Mexico from both storms. After all, Alma was retired for much less back in 2008.

Imelda has a 0.0000000...% chance of getting retired. As a fellow Texas hardly anybody could tell you what the name means besides maybe sounding like a Disney villain or something lol. Imelda was too short lived, and there have been normal rain events that lingered and caused more flooding then she did. Storms like Allison were at least named a hella lot longer than Imelda, and the only people really bringing up Imelda’s retirement are some of the meteorologically inclined minded like us who look at it as a statistic and not an event that people will remember which is the whole point of retiring storms.

I could see Amanda getting the boot but probably not Cristobal as it would probably be seen as an extension of Amanda in their eyes but idk for sure. Delta is overshadowed by Laura so it may get overlooked. Idk if the Yucatan would bother asking for it’s retirement either considering they’ve let worse slide (Emily 2005).

Isaias is a maybeee but my opinion it wasn’t memorable enough after all was said and done, just a name people had alot of trouble with. :lol: There was a big tornado outbreak though so we’ll see.

I’m curious if the Azores would call for Lorenzo. I could see that as a possibility.
From a U.S. standpoint only as I can’t speak on other countries, I’d say Dorian and Laura are gone for sure, and Sally very likely with a small chance some people forget about her.

If I recall right, Portugal isn't on the committee. In that case, it cannot make a case for Lorenzo's retirement.

Imelda did cause $5 billion in damage though, and Dorian is barely more costly than that. If Imelda didn't get removed from the list, it would be the costliest storm to not get retired, unless Isaias and Sally also get ignored.
1 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#230 Postby ClarCari » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:16 pm

NorthieStangl wrote:
ClarCari wrote:

If I recall right, Portugal isn't on the committee. In that case, it cannot make a case for Lorenzo's retirement.

Imelda did cause $5 billion in damage though, and Dorian is barely more costly than that. If Imelda didn't get removed from the list, it would be the costliest storm to not get retired, unless Isaias and Sally also get ignored.

Neat to know about Portugal. I guess it makes sense since that area rarely sees tropical activity.
Again for Imelda, essentially no one remembers the name. Only people like us who are into weather and tropical cyclones really do. It was named right before landfall, and, while a very wet system, was too short lived.
Retiring names is just as much about memorability of the name amongst the people impacted as much as the devastation caused and as a Texan, nobody could really tell you about the name Imelda. Retiring names isn’t only about the statistics.
1 likes   

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#231 Postby NorthieStangl » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:33 pm

ClarCari wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:
ClarCari wrote:

Neat to know about Portugal. I guess it makes sense since that area rarely sees tropical activity.
Again for Imelda, essentially no one remembers the name. Only people like us who are into weather and tropical cyclones really do. It was named right before landfall, and, while a very wet system, was too short lived.
Retiring names is just as much about memorability of the name amongst the people impacted as much as the devastation caused and as a Texan, nobody could really tell you about the name Imelda. Retiring names isn’t only about the statistics.

Yeah, after the once-in-a-lifetime experience like Harvey, anything that comes afterward would sound like nothing. Which is why I'm doubtful of Delta's chances after Laura. $2 billion and 6 deaths after Delta is nothing compared to $14 billion and 70 deaths from Laura, unless Mexico decides to make a case in Delta's case. Same with Zeta, even though it's still in progress.

Talking about Delta and Zeta, I disagree about the possibility of "retiring" a Greek name but leaving it in. That's ridiculous. There still would be 44 names left on the list if a name gets removed if it gets retired like any other name, because even the West Pacific basin wouldn't go as far as Omega because the record busiest season of that basin, the most active in the world, only went as far as the 39th name... and that was over 5 freaking decades ago. Suppose the 2005 Azores subtropical storm get named Tammy, meaning Wilma would had been Alpha instead? $20 billion and dozens of deaths, and there would had been a Gordon-style outcry if it doesn't get removed. It's really dumb.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#232 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:38 pm

NorthieStangl wrote:
ClarCari wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:

Yeah, after the once-in-a-lifetime experience like Harvey, anything that comes afterward would sound like nothing. Which is why I'm doubtful of Delta's chances after Laura. $2 billion and 6 deaths after Delta is nothing compared to $14 billion and 70 deaths from Laura, unless Mexico decides to make a case in Delta's case. Same with Zeta, even though it's still in progress.

Talking about Delta and Zeta, I disagree about the possibility of "retiring" a Greek name but leaving it in. That's ridiculous. There still would be 44 names left on the list if a name gets removed if it gets retired like any other name, because even the West Pacific basin wouldn't go as far as Omega because the record busiest season of that basin, the most active in the world, only went as far as the 39th name... and that was over 5 freaking decades ago. Suppose the 2005 Azores subtropical storm get named Tammy, meaning Wilma would had been Alpha instead? $20 billion and dozens of deaths, and there would had been a Gordon-style outcry if it doesn't get removed. It's really dumb.

I don't think Imelda or Delta should be retired even if there wasn't another storm before them. Yes they were destructive but every storm that hits is destructive. We can't retire every storm that hits the CONUS. In regards to Greek names, they need to just ditch them and come up with an auxiliary list. Or just do what the WPAC does and just pick up where we left off the year before. I agree, retiring a Greek name like "Delta 2020" and then using it again is useless.
2 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#233 Postby NorthieStangl » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:51 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:
ClarCari wrote:

I don't think Imelda or Delta should be retired even if there wasn't another storm before them. Yes they were destructive but every storm that hits is destructive. We can't retire every storm that hits the CONUS. In regards to Greek names, they need to just ditch them and come up with an auxiliary list. Or just do what the WPAC does and just pick up where we left off the year before. I agree, retiring a Greek name like "Delta 2020" and then using it again is useless.

Not all of the storms that hit the CONUS are being considered. Hanna haven't even been bought up at all, and neither were Bertha or Fay. I threw Cristobal out purely because of its shared trail of destruction and deaths with Amanda across El Salvador, Guatemala, and Mexico, not because it hit the US. Imelda, Isaias, and Delta are being speculated because they caused more than $1 billion in damage which, although becoming more common lately, is still relatively rare, and Delta also affected Mexico. I don't consider any of them to be shoo-in for retirement, but it's absolutely not out of question.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#234 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:53 pm

NorthieStangl wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:

Not all of the storms that hit the CONUS are being considered. Hanna haven't even been bought up at all, and neither were Bertha or Fay. I threw Cristobal out purely because of its shared trail of destruction and deaths with Amanda across El Salvador, Guatemala, and Mexico, not because it hit the US. Imelda, Isaias, and Delta are being speculated because they caused more than $1 billion in damage which, although becoming more common lately, is still relatively rare, and Delta also affected Mexico. I don't consider any of them to be shoo-in for retirement, but it's absolutely not out of question.

I wouldn't mind seeing Isaias go just so we don't have to try to pronounce it right every time :lol:
3 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#235 Postby NorthieStangl » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:03 am

Weather Dude wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:I don't think Imelda or Delta should be retired even if there wasn't another storm before them. Yes they were destructive but every storm that hits is destructive. We can't retire every storm that hits the CONUS. In regards to Greek names, they need to just ditch them and come up with an auxiliary list. Or just do what the WPAC does and just pick up where we left off the year before. I agree, retiring a Greek name like "Delta 2020" and then using it again is useless.

I wouldn't mind seeing Isaias go just so we don't have to try to pronounce it right every time :lol:

LOL. That dumb but still valid trivial matter is why I'm more certain that it will go than that it won't go. I don't know why, but I'm sure people would be glad to see it go. I see it having a higher chance of going than Imelda and Delta, but not Sally.
0 likes   

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#236 Postby ClarCari » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:07 am

NorthieStangl wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:

LOL. That dumb but still valid trivial matter is why I'm more certain that it will go than that it won't go. I don't know why, but I'm sure people would be glad to see it go. I see it having a higher chance of going than Imelda and Delta, but not Sally.

I think Isaias 2020 was just what we needed the first time for people to get “it”. lol
It’s ironically phonetically more correct than most names and words you see in English.
“L”isa-ian<—replace N with S.
I like it actually, and meehh it could very well be overlooked by Laura and the rest of the season as far as the U.S. is concerned.
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#237 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:10 am

ClarCari wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Isaias go just so we don't have to try to pronounce it right every time :lol:

I think Isaias 2020 was just what we needed the first time for people to get “it”. lol
It’s ironically phonetically more correct than most names and words you see in English.
I like it actually, and meehh it could very well be overlooked by Laura and the rest of the season as far as the U.S. is concerned.

Or they could just change it to be pronounced like "Isaiah", with the S instead of H obviously. Which is how I said it up until is was named lol
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#238 Postby SconnieCane » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:15 am

Weather Dude wrote:
ClarCari wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:

Or they could just change it to be pronounced like "Isaiah", with the S instead of H obviously. Which is how I said it up until is was named lol

I kept wanting to pronounce it "Isaiah-see-us," even though there's no "S" in the middle.
0 likes   

tomatkins
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#239 Postby tomatkins » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:14 pm

NorthieStangl wrote:
ClarCari wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:

Yes, retiring but keeping the name in circulation means that the official reasons for retiring names are just BS.
1 likes   

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#240 Postby Torino » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:38 pm

NorthieStangl wrote:Or they could just change it to be pronounced like "Isaiah", with the S instead of H obviously. Which is how I said it up until is was named lol

what about Isaias trading places with Ignacio from EPAC? :lol: Ignacio is a great name for the Atlantic, and Isaias would do just fine in the Pacific.
Last edited by Torino on Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”