2019 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2019 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

#281 Postby USTropics » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:36 am

Aric Dunn wrote:

Something to note.. for the first time this summer there is a large wave over africa that is farther north spreading rain over the southern Saharah region ( the Sahel region I believe) where most fo the SAL that affects the deeps tropics comes from. It receives rain each spring and summer, but this year up till now has been particularly dry which is why we have seen a rather large uptick in the SAL outbreaks this July in the eastern Atlantic.

Here's a great image of that (which should also help protect the AEW to the south that the ECMWF is starting to develop). Seen this a few times, where a leading wave to the north becomes a sacrificial lamb, providing a barrier from dry air entrainment in the AEW to the south (which you can see the dry air beginning to affect the waves in CATL and off Africa).

2 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#282 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:42 am

USTropics wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

Something to note.. for the first time this summer there is a large wave over africa that is farther north spreading rain over the southern Saharah region ( the Sahel region I believe) where most fo the SAL that affects the deeps tropics comes from. It receives rain each spring and summer, but this year up till now has been particularly dry which is why we have seen a rather large uptick in the SAL outbreaks this July in the eastern Atlantic.

Here's a great image of that (which should also help protect the AEW to the south that the ECMWF is starting to develop). Seen this a few times, where a leading wave to the north becomes a sacrificial lamb, providing a barrier from dry air entrainment in the AEW to the south (which you can see the dry air beginning to affect the waves in CATL and off Africa).

https://i.imgur.com/beKI2tN.jpg

yeah that wave essentially travelled east to west giving the Bodélé Depression ( region of the Sahel where pretty all the SAL comes from) area some rain. Will see what happens over the next couple weeks ... to see if the waves spread more moisture north now.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

#283 Postby Siker » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:00 am

12z ICON merges the two waves out in the central Atlantic right now, spinning up a TC south of Bermuda in a week. 12z GFS keeps the waves separate and energy is thus diffuse.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#284 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:11 am

12z GFS much more vigorous with the wave the EURO develops. lets see what happens..
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#285 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Are we designating any of these waves into Pouches?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#286 Postby USTropics » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:42 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:Are we designating any of these waves into Pouches?

Manual pouch tracking was terminated after 2016, I believe there is a site that has automated this process some (not perfect, I'll see if I can find the link later).
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#287 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:46 pm

USTropics wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:Are we designating any of these waves into Pouches?

Manual pouch tracking was terminated after 2016, I believe there is a site that has automated this process some (not perfect, I'll see if I can find the link later).

you have these people tracking the waves.. lol

https://ttweathercenter.com/category/tropical-update

and no development from Euro on the 12z.
2 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#288 Postby AnnularCane » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:57 pm

What's the difference between a wave and a pouch anyway?
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#289 Postby floridasun78 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:08 pm

AnnularCane wrote:What's the difference between a wave and a pouch anyway?
pouch are area could start too show up on models runs soon wave are area of storms moving alone tropical from east to west
1 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#290 Postby USTropics » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:21 pm

AnnularCane wrote:What's the difference between a wave and a pouch anyway?

There isn't really a difference, pouch was designated because of the immediate environment that the wave axis exists in. Essentially the pouch acted as a safeguard for the seed of vorticity, protecting from negative conditions like dry air entrainment (fun fact, 'pouch' term was coined from the kangaroo pouch that holds their newborns). There's actually a scientific article that details this. It's common to also call them AEWs (African Easterly Waves) or just simply waves. You'll also see convectively stripped waves that maintain a sharp axis labeled as 'dry waves', essentially traversing most of the Atlantic before finding favorable conditions further west.
6 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#291 Postby gatorcane » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:02 pm

It’s interesting to note the GFS legacy shows a much more convectively active wave rolling off Africa in 96 hours than the new GFS (I say interesting because personally I think the upgraded GFS is even more conservative with predicting genesis than the old GFS which was already on the conservative side). Additionally the Euro looks more closely aligned to the legacy GFS on the 850mb vort signature as it traverses the MDR. Wouldn’t surprise me if the NHC mentions this wave in an upcoming update - possibly a brief spin-up here is possible:

0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#292 Postby floridasun78 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:37 pm

gatorcane wrote:It’s interesting to note the GFS legacy shows a much more convectively active wave rolling off Africa in 96 hours than the new GFS (I say interesting because personally I think the upgraded GFS is even more conservative with predicting genesis than the old GFS which was already on the conservative side). Additionally the Euro looks more closely aligned to the legacy GFS on the 850mb vort signature as it traverses the MDR. Wouldn’t surprise me if the NHC mentions this wave in an upcoming update - possibly a brief spin-up here is possible:

https://i.postimg.cc/9FKd7Fft/gfs-legacy-ir-atl-17.png

likely next week it early if do maybe by next tue or so
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#293 Postby Hammy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:54 am

All quiet for the next two weeks on the latest batch of models. You know things are dead when even the Canadian can't find anything to spin up.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#294 Postby jlauderdal » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:32 am

gatorcane wrote:It’s interesting to note the GFS legacy shows a much more convectively active wave rolling off Africa in 96 hours than the new GFS (I say interesting because personally I think the upgraded GFS is even more conservative with predicting genesis than the old GFS which was already on the conservative side). Additionally the Euro looks more closely aligned to the legacy GFS on the 850mb vort signature as it traverses the MDR. Wouldn’t surprise me if the NHC mentions this wave in an upcoming update - possibly a brief spin-up here is possible:

https://i.postimg.cc/9FKd7Fft/gfs-legacy-ir-atl-17.png
The old GFS was conservative with genesis? :D
0 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#295 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:04 am

Hammy wrote:All quiet for the next two weeks on the latest batch of models. You know things are dead when even the Canadian can't find anything to spin up.

Didn't the Canadian get updated to not show as many ghost storms?
2 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

crownweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#296 Postby crownweather » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:08 am

Hammy wrote:All quiet for the next two weeks on the latest batch of models. You know things are dead when even the Canadian can't find anything to spin up.

Pssst....take a look at the 00Z ICON. :lol:

4 likes   
Rob Lightbown
Crown Weather Services
https://crownweather.com

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#297 Postby USTropics » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:10 am

00z UKMET has the same system developing from the wave currently just east of the Leeward Islands:

1 likes   

crownweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#298 Postby crownweather » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:14 am

USTropics wrote:00z UKMET has the same system developing from the wave currently just east of the Leeward Islands:

https://i.imgur.com/Kdv7uec.png

That's interesting. I'm really starting to wonder if the FV3-GFS and Euro models may have been tweaked a little too much towards not showing anything until "game time".
1 likes   
Rob Lightbown
Crown Weather Services
https://crownweather.com

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#299 Postby USTropics » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:17 am

NCEP ensembles continue to show about a 40% chance of development from this wave:

0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#300 Postby USTropics » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:20 am

crownweather wrote:
USTropics wrote:00z UKMET has the same system developing from the wave currently just east of the Leeward Islands:

https://i.imgur.com/Kdv7uec.png

That's interesting. I'm really starting to wonder if the FV3-GFS and Euro models may have been tweaked a little too much towards not showing anything until "game time".

While the operational runs don't show development, there is support from some of the ensemble guidance from the GFS:

The same is true for the ECMWF ensembles:
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”