2017 EPAC Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: 2017 EPAC Season

#41 Postby Ntxw » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:41 pm

weathaguyry wrote:17/9/4 I'm not seeing many strong signals for above average, however there aren't many strong signals for below average, so I would say that near-slightly above average seems reasonable

Last year with an unfavorable weak La Nina, active Atlantic and a falling PDO the EPAC still managed over 180 units of ACE! This basin is in some kind of a flurry of activity boost since 2014. What conditions do you see that is less than 2016? if anything, they look even better
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby weathaguyry » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:52 pm

Ntxw wrote:
weathaguyry wrote:17/9/4 I'm not seeing many strong signals for above average, however there aren't many strong signals for below average, so I would say that near-slightly above average seems reasonable

Last year with an unfavorable weak La Nina, active Atlantic and a falling PDO the EPAC still managed over 180 units of ACE! What conditions do you see that is less than 2016? if anything, they look even better

True, I guess those numbers are pretty conservative, but if the Atlantic gets going earlier this year, with some Hurricanes in July/August, that may put a cap on the EPAC storms rolling out, and by my understanding the most active time of year for storms in the EPAC is usually August (Please correct me if I am wrong, because I'm not familiar with the EPAC as much) Also, there weren't many good quality Atlantic storms until the PDO crash in late September, without that the Atlantic would've been fairly quiet, with maybe some more messy sheared storms in October. Also the latest CFS forecasts shows some increased precip for the Atlantic Tropics, and the MDR seems to be warming as of late, but still, anything can happen and I've only been tracking hurricanes since 2015, when I was still only 12 years old :D
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#43 Postby Ntxw » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:10 pm

weathaguyry wrote:True, I guess those numbers are pretty conservative, but if the Atlantic gets going earlier this year, with some Hurricanes in July/August, that may put a cap on the EPAC storms rolling out, and by my understanding the most active time of year for storms in the EPAC is usually August (Please correct me if I am wrong, because I'm not familiar with the EPAC as much) Also, there weren't many good quality Atlantic storms until the PDO crash in late September, without that the Atlantic would've been fairly quiet, with maybe some more messy sheared storms in October. Also the latest CFS forecasts shows some increased precip for the Atlantic Tropics, and the MDR seems to be warming as of late, but still, anything can happen and I've only been tracking hurricanes since 2015, when I was still only 12 years old :D

I think that's a fair point. Also would like to add I think the designation of La Nina as late summer and fall certainly helped the Atlantic too. Last season was not an instance of the adverse effects between the Atlantic and EPAC as both were very busy. Independent of the other, the EPAC is still on stretch of much above normal activity. Hawaii has not had a peaceful season in awhile.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby weathaguyry » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:32 pm

Ntxw wrote:
weathaguyry wrote:True, I guess those numbers are pretty conservative, but if the Atlantic gets going earlier this year, with some Hurricanes in July/August, that may put a cap on the EPAC storms rolling out, and by my understanding the most active time of year for storms in the EPAC is usually August (Please correct me if I am wrong, because I'm not familiar with the EPAC as much) Also, there weren't many good quality Atlantic storms until the PDO crash in late September, without that the Atlantic would've been fairly quiet, with maybe some more messy sheared storms in October. Also the latest CFS forecasts shows some increased precip for the Atlantic Tropics, and the MDR seems to be warming as of late, but still, anything can happen and I've only been tracking hurricanes since 2015, when I was still only 12 years old :D

I think that's a fair point. Also would like to add I think the designation of La Nina as late summer and fall certainly helped the Atlantic too. Last season was not an instance of the adverse effects between the Atlantic and EPAC as both were very busy. Independent of the other, the EPAC is still on stretch of much above normal activity. Hawaii has not had a peaceful season in awhile.

Very True, also with the warming waters near Hawaii, if another storm like Iselle decided to poke its head around the area, they may not turn out as lucky as they did in 2014.
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#45 Postby Yellow Evan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:52 pm

weathaguyry wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Last year with an unfavorable weak La Nina, active Atlantic and a falling PDO the EPAC still managed over 180 units of ACE! What conditions do you see that is less than 2016? if anything, they look even better

True, I guess those numbers are pretty conservative, but if the Atlantic gets going earlier this year, with some Hurricanes in July/August, that may put a cap on the EPAC storms rolling out, and by my understanding the most active time of year for storms in the EPAC is usually August (Please correct me if I am wrong, because I'm not familiar with the EPAC as much) Also, there weren't many good quality Atlantic storms until the PDO crash in late September, without that the Atlantic would've been fairly quiet, with maybe some more messy sheared storms in October. Also the latest CFS forecasts shows some increased precip for the Atlantic Tropics, and the MDR seems to be warming as of late, but still, anything can happen and I've only been tracking hurricanes since 2015, when I was still only 12 years old :D

EPAC has a broad peak from July to October. I've seen seasons "peak" during any of those 4 months.
1 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#46 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:31 am

To be honest, a slightly above average season (17-20 NS, 5-7 majors) isn't impossible due to the possibility of a Modoki El Nino similar to 1986, 1976, 1991, and 1972, mostly based on analog seasons but I don't trust the historical record prior to 1988.
1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#47 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:53 am

Euro has TS Adrian in 240hrs.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#48 Postby cycloneye » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:55 am

12z GFS moves the timeframe down to 8 days for beginning of development.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#49 Postby cycloneye » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:09 pm

12z ECMWF also begins a slow development (Weak) process on day 8.

Day 8

Day 10

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#50 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Cycloneye, I hope the models don't have the same issues they had last season... Initially showing development due to conducive conditions and in the end nothing develops.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#51 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:09 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Cycloneye, I hope the models don't have the same issues they had last season... Initially showing development due to conducive conditions and in the end nothing develops.

I only recall that happening when MJO was about to exit the basin.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#52 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:23 pm

12z runs of ECMWF, EPS, and GFS all continue to show Adrian and slowly bringing the time frame down with the GFS bringing this into Central America.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#53 Postby Yellow Evan » Mon May 01, 2017 12:32 am

0z GFS brings this into Costa Rica
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#54 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 01, 2017 4:24 am

00z ECMWF is much stronger and it goes down to the 7 day starting timeframe.

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#55 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 01, 2017 1:59 pm

12z ECMWF is the strongest yet since it began showing this area now as Hurricane Adrian.

0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#56 Postby Kingarabian » Mon May 01, 2017 2:25 pm

963mb on the high resolution Euro. The Euro seems to be forecasting a solid favorable MJO pulse and we could see more early season activity after Adrian.
Last edited by Kingarabian on Mon May 01, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#57 Postby Kingarabian » Mon May 01, 2017 2:31 pm

UKMET also on board for development. Southern Mexico should keep a close eye on this next week.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#58 Postby Yellow Evan » Mon May 01, 2017 2:39 pm

Kingarabian wrote:963mb on the high resolution Euro. The Euro seems to be forecasting a solid favorable MJO pulse and we could see more early season activity after Adrian.

I saw some hints in the 0z EPS spread of another system around Day 15, but one storm at a time
1 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#59 Postby Yellow Evan » Mon May 01, 2017 3:51 pm

6z parlell GFS brings this to Mexico as a dangerous hurricane
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby Kingarabian » Tue May 02, 2017 3:08 am

00z GFS weaker. 00Z Euro bombs this into a Cat. 5.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”