Development off SE U.S coast?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Development off SE U.S coast?

#61 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:31 pm

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
800 PM EDT SAT JUL 25 2015

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

An elongated area of low pressure extending from the eastern Gulf
of Mexico eastward across the Florida peninsula and into the
adjacent Atlantic waters is producing disorganized cloudiness and
thunderstorms. Upper-level winds are not favorable for tropical
or subtropical cyclone formation, and development, if any, will
be very slow to occur. Locally heavy rainfall can be expected across
portions of the Florida peninsula through the weekend and into early
next week.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...10 percent

$$
Forecaster Avila

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

NCSTORMMAN

#62 Postby NCSTORMMAN » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:35 pm

cycloneye wrote:TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

next week.

$$
Forecaster Avila

http://i.imgur.com/CXJ6yQk.png

What do they mean by upper level winds are not favorable? I looked at the shear maps a little while ago and everything near Florida is a small amount of shear at best. Am I looking at something wrong?
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#63 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Early season storms can often be erratic to forecast. Steering currents are very weak, and a slight change can throw the track off greatly (remember Debby 2012?).
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:00 pm

NCSTORMMAN wrote:
cycloneye wrote:TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

next week.

$$
Forecaster Avila

http://i.imgur.com/CXJ6yQk.png

What do they mean by upper level winds are not favorable? I looked at the shear maps a little while ago and everything near Florida is a small amount of shear at best. Am I looking at something wrong?

Upper-level winds are most certainly favorable ATM the way I see it, and these graphics below back that up! :darrow:

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#65 Postby Hammy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:01 pm

NCSTORMMAN wrote:What do they mean by upper level winds are not favorable? I looked at the shear maps a little while ago and everything near Florida is a small amount of shear at best. Am I looking at something wrong?

I don't really trust their percentages after Claudette being at 10% just ten hours before advisories began.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#66 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Hammy wrote:
NCSTORMMAN wrote:What do they mean by upper level winds are not favorable? I looked at the shear maps a little while ago and everything near Florida is a small amount of shear at best. Am I looking at something wrong?

I don't really trust their percentages after Claudette being at 10% just ten hours before advisories began.

In the case of Claudette, they likely were thinking this can't last and we can let it go...maybe make it an unnamed TS in post-analysis. But it held on long enough that they had to start advisories. Most likely the genesis point for Claudette is moving back significantly.
0 likes   

NCSTORMMAN

#67 Postby NCSTORMMAN » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:16 pm

Hammy wrote:

At least I am not alone in wondering what they are talking about. Is shear supposed to go back up or something?
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#68 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:27 pm

Hammy wrote:

They often underestimate systems. This time though they are really underestimating this, I'd put odds of development around 50-60% ATM.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#69 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:30 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
Hammy wrote:

In the case of Claudette, they likely were thinking this can't last and we can let it go...maybe make it an unnamed TS in post-analysis. But it held on long enough that they had to start advisories. Most likely the genesis point for Claudette is moving back significantly.

At least they went ahead and named it! :roll:

I get tired of seeing in seasons systems going unamed or even only remaining TD's when in reality they once qualified as a TS. TD-2 last season was a perfect example of just that.

BTW, I think you meant Danny not Claudette.
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#70 Postby floridasun78 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:40 pm

if any good of area it bring rain to Florida that need rain
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#71 Postby Hammy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:30 pm

GFS and GEM only seem to be pushing a very weak low into Alabama/Mississippi near the 240 hour mark, nothing from the frontal system anymore.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#72 Postby Brent » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:15 am

Next?

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
200 AM EDT SUN JUL 26 2015

Tropical cyclone formation is not expected during the next 5 days.
0 likes   
#neversummer

NCSTORMMAN

#73 Postby NCSTORMMAN » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:16 am

Brent wrote:Next?

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
200 AM EDT SUN JUL 26 2015

Tropical cyclone formation is not expected during the next 5 days.

So, it is officially done?
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#74 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:16 am

There seems to be too much of the energy stretched out for much to form

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#75 Postby Hammy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:40 am

NCSTORMMAN wrote:

Nothing is 100% done in the tropics but assuming NHC gets the Euro model before we do, it's very likely based on this that it is no longer showing even the slightest development, and thus none of the models do at this point. They all may as well be tossed for the rest of the season beyond the 48 hour point.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#76 Postby RL3AO » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:23 am

Be careful calling out the NHC too much on their TWO forecasts. They missed with the last storm, but when you look at the verification stats, they are really good at these genesis forecasts.
0 likes   

NCSTORMMAN

#77 Postby NCSTORMMAN » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:25 am

Hammy wrote:
NCSTORMMAN wrote:

Nothing is 100% done in the tropics but assuming NHC gets the Euro model before we do, it's very likely based on this that it is no longer showing even the slightest development, and thus none of the models do at this point. They all may as well be tossed for the rest of the season beyond the 48 hour point.

In your opinion are the models getting worse each year? They seem to be to me but again I stress that I am no meteorologist.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#78 Postby Hammy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:49 am

NCSTORMMAN wrote:
Hammy wrote:
NCSTORMMAN wrote:

In your opinion are the models getting worse each year? They seem to be to me but again I stress that I am no meteorologist.

The Euro is generally spot on, though it has a dead period in the medium range (no idea why, but most storms at the 7-10 day mark disappear and show up again at 4-5 day) but it seems to be handling this particular situation extremely poorly, likely due to the elongated nature--it seems to be picking up on different places on the trough and developing them, but has realized so to speak that nothing will come of it. The GFS has an extremely terrible track record over the last several years, up until this year it developed pretty much every low pressure (including non-existent ones weeks out) into major hurricanes, and has essentially failed to develop the three storms we had so far this year into anything more than depressions until it got within 36 hours. So I wouldn't say they are getting worse per se, but the upgrade of the GFS does seem to have made it worse with tropical storms, in addition to this being a difficult systems for models to properly initialize.
0 likes   

NCSTORMMAN

#79 Postby NCSTORMMAN » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:57 am

Thank you Hammy.

Good analysis and thank you for your time. I am just scratching my head at the flip flopping of these models. I know they do that a lot but with this situation they seem to be all over the place. I still think there is a small chance in my opinion but it is a gut feeling and not a forecast.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby Hammy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:09 am

Full Euro run still wants to try to form some sort of low, seemingly elongated and possibly non-tropical, but I'd take it as a grain of salt for the time being.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”