Broad area of disturbed weather in the Western Caribbean Sea (Is INVEST 91L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Broad area of disturbed weather in the southwestern Caribbean Sea

#61 Postby LarryWx » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:24 am

The 0Z EPS was actually quite active again with quite a few Hs hitting the SE US. Also, the 6Z GEFS is more active than at least the last 3 runs in the GOM with 3 Hs on 10/12.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#62 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:25 am

NDG wrote:Seeing a strong system in the western Caribbean in the 5-10 day range is not looking very likely, GFS and Euro are showing the shear not led up in this area. It will help in building convection and a vorticity to develop but because of the same shear it will have a hard time organizing, it will have to move out of the Caribbean. IMO.
El Nino conditions are basically here already.

Yes, the Caribbean has been hostile and full of shear all season. Better chances of a stronger system once north of 20-25N IMO.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#63 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:25 am

LarryWx wrote:The 0Z EPS was actually quite active again with quite a few Hs hitting the SE US. Also, the 6Z GEFS is more active than at least the last 3 runs in the GOM with 3 Hs on 10/12.

Could you post an image please?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby LarryWx » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:29 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
LarryWx wrote:The 0Z EPS was actually quite active again with quite a few Hs hitting the SE US. Also, the 6Z GEFS is more active than at least the last 3 runs in the GOM with 3 Hs on 10/12.

EPS to day 15: click on Gulf for good closeup

https://lab.weathermodels.com/models/ec ... clones.php

GEFS: go to Tropical Tidbits
Last edited by LarryWx on Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby NDG » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:34 am

TheStormExpert wrote:

From day 5-15
What I notice is that the ensembles have been trending for development to deepen outside of the NW Caribbean.

0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#66 Postby NDG » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:45 am

Looking closer, the Euro shows that any improvement in the UL environment in the NW Caribbean into the eastern GOM will not be until we get into the 8-14 day range.
The low pressure that will form across the central Caribbean in a couple of days will be a sheared broad low pressure mess with all of the convection well east of it.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#67 Postby LarryWx » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:45 am

FV3 back to E coast (FL?) threat at 6Z it appears per 240 hour map.
0 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#68 Postby stormlover2013 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:48 am

I think models are bullish right now...they are all getting weaker
0 likes   

KUEFC
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#69 Postby KUEFC » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:55 am

LarryWx wrote:FV3 back to E coast (FL?) threat at 6Z it appears per 240 hour map.

Very weak and messy though
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#70 Postby toad strangler » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:04 am

As stated many times before, just have to wait and see. If there is one thing the models in general don't do well with at all is intensity. The calendar demands that guard is not let down.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#71 Postby SFLcane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:31 am

00z EPS has an attack on florida from all sides lol...but yes just about all season the caribbean has been quite hostile.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:45 am

pretty sure the 6z GFS is some of the worst convective feedback I have ever seen with it. it is barely even useful right now.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#73 Postby ronjon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:49 am

SFLcane wrote:00z EPS has an attack on florida from all sides lol...but yes just about all season the caribbean has been quite hostile.

Yeah likely to be a sheared mess with lopsided weather on east side if it does get going although there are a few OP models that really develop it (CMC, ICON, NAVGEM). Yes I know these are the poorer models so can't put much stock in them. Still intensity forecasts this far out are pretty worthless. Watch and wait mode especially for us Floridians.
0 likes   

CourierPR
Category 5
Category 5

#74 Postby CourierPR » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:02 am

Met. Joe Bastardi tweeted this morning that the ridge over troubled water pattern that produced Gordon and Florence is showing itself again for the West Caribbean disturbance.
1 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#75 Postby otowntiger » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:02 am

NDG wrote:Seeing a strong system in the western Caribbean in the 5-10 day range is not looking very likely, GFS and Euro are showing the shear not led up in this area. It will help in building convection and a vorticity to develop but because of the same shear it will have a hard time organizing, it will have to move out of the Caribbean. IMO.
El Nino conditions are basically here already.

Sounds good. That’s good news!!!
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#76 Postby GCANE » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:21 am

Many overshooting tops this morning at DMAX.
Very close to my target area of 15N 80W.
Still some UL winds over it.
Watching if it persists today.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#77 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:25 am

GCANE wrote:Many overshooting tops this morning at DMAX.

there is already broad low level turning. nothing organized of course but north winds along the western and sw carrib and ese to Se winds near columbia.

shear has dropped a good deal in the SW Carrib and that will expand northward today as that upper low/trough continues almost westerly at this point.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

#78 Postby robbielyn » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 am

ronjon wrote:
SFLcane wrote:00z EPS has an attack on florida from all sides lol...but yes just about all season the caribbean has been quite hostile.

Yeah likely to be a sheared mess with lopsided weather on east side if it does get going although there are a few OP models that really develop it (CMC, ICON, NAVGEM). Yes I know these are the poorer models so can't put much stock in them. Still intensity forecasts this far out are pretty worthless. Watch and wait mode especially for us Floridians.

We get a lot of those don't we? I will take a sheared mess if we must compared to a hurricane. I work at bayfront health Brooksville and I had to work a 24 hour shift. I would again this year too if a hurricane was to be in our area. So hopefully it will be either a sheared mess of nothing at all.
0 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#79 Postby cycloneye » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:47 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
GCANE wrote:Many overshooting tops this morning at DMAX.

there is already broad low level turning. nothing organized of course but north winds along the western and sw carrib and ese to Se winds near columbia.

shear has dropped a good deal in the SW Carrib and that will expand northward today as that upper low/trough continues almost westerly at this point.

When you can Aric,post the water vapor to see where is that upper low. :)
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby blp » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:55 am

The 06Z GEFS has the strongest combined signal I have seen so far with this system and is more inline with the other models versus the OPS run which takes it over Yucatan. I expect the ops run to slowly migrate toward the GEFS.

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”