2018 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2018 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

#901 Postby USTropics » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:56 pm

Here are the 180 hour forecasts for the last 5 ICON runs:

1 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#902 Postby Alyono » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:07 pm

GFS and CMC shifting west and weaker

Starting to come around to what I long suspected, a weak TS in the BOC
3 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#903 Postby Haris » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:11 pm

Alyono wrote:GFS and CMC shifting west and weaker

TX rainmaker still?
1 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#904 Postby Alyono » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:13 pm

Haris wrote:

TX rainmaker still?

Possibly. This will probably be a broad system
1 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#905 Postby SoupBone » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:17 pm

I asked earlier, but are we discussing the same system that the GFS has been going crazy over?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#906 Postby Haris » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 pm

SoupBone wrote:

I asked earlier, but are we discussing the same system that the GFS has been going crazy over?

yeah. 0z gfs STILL develops it. But the time just keeps getting pushed. CMC has DROPPED devlopment. Im not too confident but I dont lean GFS
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#907 Postby Alyono » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:24 pm

CMC still develops it

It just sends it into South Mexico
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#908 Postby Haris » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:28 pm

Alyono wrote:CMC still develops it

It just sends it into South Mexico

gfs icon trended back E . CMC trended even more S and W.

Even more disagreement tonight. Wow
0 likes   

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#909 Postby Dylan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:30 pm

Looks like the GFS sends it into western Louisiana as a strong tropical storm. Depends on how strong the mid-level ridge is over the US, which the models have been over doing.

I’m not going to let one run of the Canadian of all models sway my opinion. 19/20 GFS Ensemble memebers had this in the previous run, that’s more important. Million dollar question is what does the European do?!?
3 likes   
Georges('98), Allison('01), Isidore('02), Lili('02), Frances('04) Ivan('04), Cindy('05), Katrina('05), Rita('05), Gustav('08), Isaac('12), Matthew('16), Harvey('17), Irma('17), Nate ('17), Ida ('21).

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#910 Postby USTropics » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:03 am

For the time being, I'll be tracking the tropical wave that just entered the eastern Caribbean as a possible seed for genesis. I've highlighted the tropical waves in the recent surface analysis, and highlighted the wave in the recent GFS run for the first 72 hours:

2 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#911 Postby stormreader » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:50 am

USTropics wrote:For the time being, I'll be tracking the tropical wave that just entered the eastern Caribbean as a possible seed for genesis. I've highlighted the tropical waves in the recent surface analysis, and highlighted the wave in the recent GFS run for the first 72 hours:

https://i.imgur.com/UfhfERN.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/iwZJ7o/Webp_net_gifmaker_2.gif

Really interesting that we can't say where the energy is coming from for tropical genesis. I'm guessing (hoping) that an analysis of what the model portrays could give a description of atmospheric features contributing to tropical development. And I think some on this board could probably do that too. But still not really a fully definitive explanation of the cause of the feature that models are forecasting.
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#912 Postby USTropics » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:53 am

MJO forecast shows the enhanced phase occurring right as our tropical wave enters the NW Caribbean (ascending westerly flow is normally seen on the eastern flank, which will provide plenty of low-level moisture convergence in the NW Caribbean):

1 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#913 Postby stormreader » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:06 am

More interested than usual in the outcome of this situation forecast by many of the models. The fact that the Euro has been so late to forecast any kind of tropical genesis makes it more interesting. What intrigues me most of all is the fact that it is June, and among the mixed signals we have seen model forecasts for something major in the GOM. Experience tells us that a weak tropical storm is most likely in the offing. But it makes one wonder if this could be that unusual June situation where something more might occur. Not saying that's whats going to happen. Have to mention Audrey. It sort of came from nowhere. Not much info from that time......."Between June 20 and 25, 1957, an ill-defined tropical wave moved across the Caribbean Sea, over the Yucatán Peninsula, and into the Bay of Campeche. The system was difficult to trace until a report on June 24 from Carmen, Mexico, confirmed the presence of a low pressure area. So will be watching.
0 likes   

Twisted-core
Category 1
Category 1

#914 Postby Twisted-core » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:34 am

Lot of sensible heat already in gomx. If that mjo plot verify's there will be a v/decent latent heat
flux increase coupled with excellent upper divergence over the region. As always shear maybe
the key player down the road.
1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#915 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:51 am

Same song and dance on the 00z Euro.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#916 Postby USTropics » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:07 am

stormreader wrote:
USTropics wrote:For the time being, I'll be tracking the tropical wave that just entered the eastern Caribbean as a possible seed for genesis. I've highlighted the tropical waves in the recent surface analysis, and highlighted the wave in the recent GFS run for the first 72 hours:

Really interesting that we can't say where the energy is coming from for tropical genesis. I'm guessing (hoping) that an analysis of what the model portrays could give a description of atmospheric features contributing to tropical development. And I think some on this board could probably do that too. But still not really a fully definitive explanation of the cause of the feature that models are forecasting.

Aric is the residential guru on tropical genesis, but I’ll briefly explain the general processes. In this particular instance, I believe tropical genesis (if it occurs) will spawn along the tropical wave axis. Tropical waves act as atmospheric troughs (elongated axis of low pressure that enhance Coriolis force).

The Caribbean has easterly flow from the trade winds (you can currently see this in the low-level wind flow):

As I mentioned in my MJO post above, the eastern flank of the enhanced phase of the MJO has westerly flow at the low levels. You can see this is creating convergence at the surface in the NW Caribbean currently:

Convergence at the surface enhanced by a trough (like our tropical wave), can create sufficient forcing to produce vorticity (Coriolis force). I.E. convergence at the surface enhanced by divergence aloft create ideal conditions for tropical formation:

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/hyd/cond/cycl.rxml

We typically see tropical development as the tilt of our tropical wave changes in the NW Caribbean, enhancing forcing at the surface. Now that’s essentially a quick synopsis of our engine, with latent heat being our fuel (i.e. Sea Surface Temperatures):

of course, one major inhibiting factor currently is vertical wind shear:

Looking at the GFS shear anomaly chart, it would appear off the NE tip of the Yucatan towards the NGOM would provide a more favorable environment. This would explain why we see a weak vorticity reflection in the BOC on the 00z ECMWF run and a washed-out system impacting S Mexico on the 00z CMC.

That would also explain the center reformation on the 00z GFS/ICON runs near the NE tip of the Yucatan peninsula. A more eastern track (such as the GFS/ICON suggest) would be a much more favorable environment for intensification.
8 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#917 Postby StruThiO » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:29 am

06z GFS taking a 981mb system into Texas coast near Houston
1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#918 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:46 am

1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#919 Postby GCANE » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:46 am

114 Hrs out.
Initialization over land, possibly from a MCS.

1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#920 Postby GCANE » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:56 am

Model-to-model runs are showing improving conditions for intensification at CONUS landfall.
Particularly, mid-level moisture and 355K PV.

2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”