2018 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2018 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

#921 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:03 am

Nada.

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
800 AM EDT Sun Jun 10 2018

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

Tropical cyclone formation is not expected during the next 5 days.

$$
Forecaster Avila
4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Twisted-core
Category 1
Category 1

#922 Postby Twisted-core » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:31 am

GFS 006z surface wind & mslp @ 174hr tamed to a borderline cat1

https://imgur.com/G10g1wE
1 likes   

Ian2401
Category 1
Category 1

#923 Postby Ian2401 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:31 am

Doesn't it seem a little weird that the NHC hasn't at least highlighted an area for development at this point? I know they put most of their stock in the Euro, but with many of the other major models showing development in the short term, I would expect at least some kind of mention.
1 likes   
FSU '24 student pursuing a degree in meteorology. Consult NHC for official information.

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

#924 Postby robbielyn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:34 am

Ian2401 wrote:Doesn't it seem a little weird that the NHC hasn't at least highlighted an area for development at this point? I know they put most of their stock in the Euro, but with many of the other major models showing development in the short term, I would expect at least some kind of mention.

especially since the gfs was the first to sniff out alberto. but i guess they want the Euro to at least hint some development before they jump on board.
2 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

crm6360
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#925 Postby crm6360 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:46 am

GCANE wrote:Model-to-model runs are showing improving conditions for intensification at CONUS landfall.
Particularly, mid-level moisture and 355K PV.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2nvuik3.png

http://i68.tinypic.com/2njhfew.png

There are a million factors for tropical development and you seem to only toot the seldom used PV horn in every thread. It’s kind of cute.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#926 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:07 am

@BigJoeBastardi
If a model has 52 straight runs ( 13 days, 4x a day) with a storm hitting the gulf coast every 6-10 day period it is not a great if it hits one, Besides with the MJO coming into favorable phases and the Euro seeing western gulf lighting up, that is where I am looking,
5 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

#927 Postby Steve H. » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:54 am

cycloneye wrote:@BigJoeBastardi
If a model has 52 straight runs ( 13 days, 4x a day) with a storm hitting the gulf coast every 6-10 day period it is not a great if it hits one, Besides with the MJO coming into favorable phases and the Euro seeing western gulf lighting up, that is where I am looking,

Thank you captain obvious. I do like Joe's passion though.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#928 Postby SFLcane » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:59 am

3000 runs with GFS showing all kinds of tc’s. Either way this isn’t a FL problem and IF something develops we’ll likely be on the subsidence side.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#929 Postby ROCK » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:00 am

borderline Cat 1 into San Luis would put most of Houston in the right front quadrant.. :eek: Navgem still biting on WGOM next week.
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#930 Postby srainhoutx » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:08 am

Sunday morning briefing from Jeff:

Little day to day change for the area with high pressure to our WNW and varying degrees of moisture each day resulting in slightly differing coverage of thunderstorms.

Deep pool of moisture that was over the area on Saturday has shifted slightly eastward today and is located over the Sabine River Valley…still have decent moisture over the area with PWS of 1.7-1.9 inches, but a much drier air mass with PWS around 1.5 inches is pushing NNE from the lower TX coast this morning and should begin to arrive into the area this afternoon. Think best rain chances today will be along and NE of a line from College Station to Sugar Land to Galveston and may end up being east of I-45.

Fairly dry air mass is in place over the region Monday and Tuesday, but will hold 20-30% rain chances for storms that may be able to develop along the seabreeze front…probably closer to 20% than 30%.

Upper ridge never fully regains a strong hold over the area…like last week…so daily chances of seabreeze storms will continue with certain days having a better chance than others based on moisture availability.

Extended:
Main focus for the upcoming week will be the period from Friday-Monday and what is anything will attempt to develop over the central/western Gulf of Mexico. A tropical wave currently entering the eastern Caribbean Sea will move westward and arrive into the NW Caribbean Sea by mid to late week. High pressure building westward across the SW Atlantic and high pressure over the SW US will create a general WNW steering flow for the tropical wave to move into the central/southern/western Gulf by next weekend. Global computer models continue to show a wide range of potential solutions between models and model runs leading to little confidence on what may eventually transpire over the western Gulf. If one were to look at the overall large scale pattern indicators and not the individual models runs…there are some subtle signs that conditions over the western Gulf of Mexico will become more conducive for tropical development by next weekend. One such indicator is the MJO Phase which will be moving into a favorable pattern for rising air over the Gulf of Mexico and western Caribbean Sea by late this week. However, much may actually hinge on what happens with developing tropical system “Bud” in the eastern Pacific off the west coast of MX and models brings this system NW along the west coast of MX and the upper level outflow from Bud could produce a belt of strong wind shear across the western Gulf late this week.

For now will go with a trough/tropical wave axis moving into the western Gulf of Mexico next weekend with maybe a broad surface low attempting to form along the wave axis which could stretch from the Bay of Campeche to the TX coast. Coordinated NHC/WPC graphics are keeping the feature an open wave at the moment. A significant surge of deep tropical moisture will accompany this feature along with a sustained tap of deep SE flow out of the western Caribbean Sea which will likely support increasing rain chances…possibly as early as Friday…but more likely Saturday onward.

Forecast uncertainty remains high for the late week/weekend period and forecast changes are likely over the coming days based on hopefully better model agreement on what may happen over the western Gulf next weekend.
2 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

#931 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:25 am

Miami Discussion says the GFS needs to get another upgrade. :lol:

Late next week: long range models do not agree on the same
solution. The GFS models lifts a tropical feature north of the
Yucatan and edges it westward, away from Florida. This scenario
would eventually allow for drier air and subsidence over our
region and a decrease in shower and storm activity. The European model (ecmwf)
model, on The Hand, maintains a deep moist layer over South
Florida through Saturday or Sunday. This would allow elevated
precipitation chances to continue. Given the long range GFS seems
to be performing rather poorly lately, would be more inclined to
believe the European model (ecmwf) solution.
0 likes   
hurricanelonny

galveston-d
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#932 Postby galveston-d » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:43 am

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but here is a link to Blake Matthew's blog that acknowledges the possibility of a weather event in the coming days for our region (I live in Galveston).
https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/blakes-blog-hurricane-headed-for-texas-next-week/285-562894003
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#933 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:53 am

well not that it is a game changer .. but the navgem finally has development too. lol.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#934 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:55 am

Also .. there is a whole lot of rotation down in the SW carrib this morning. clear westerly winds though confined at the moment. once the monsoon lifts north models will have something to latch onto hopefully. right on cue per the GFS and CMC for the past many days..
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#935 Postby ronjon » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:12 am

Aric Dunn wrote:well not that it is a game changer .. but the navgem finally has development too. lol.

Not that it means much, but the NAVGEM has indicated development almost as long as the GFS. :lol: Of all the models, the ICON has been the most consistent the last 5-6 runs.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#936 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:36 am

The NHC is following the models closely and besides a couple models and runs. the consensus is not likely nay develope until the gulf somewhere do to land interaction. The models do get the system into the gulf until friday or saturday. so we might see them mention it later tonight or tomorrow since it will be within the 5 forecast time frame by then.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#937 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:44 am

ICON sticking to it northern gulf coast for this 12z run.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#938 Postby NDG » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:02 am

HURRICANELONNY wrote:Miami Discussion says the GFS needs to get another upgrade. :lol:

Late next week: long range models do not agree on the same
solution. The GFS models lifts a tropical feature north of the
Yucatan and edges it westward, away from Florida. This scenario
would eventually allow for drier air and subsidence over our
region and a decrease in shower and storm activity. The European model (ecmwf)
model, on The Hand, maintains a deep moist layer over South
Florida through Saturday or Sunday. This would allow elevated
precipitation chances to continue. Given the long range GFS seems
to be performing rather poorly lately, would be more inclined to
believe the European model (ecmwf) solution.

I don't know if I agree, if it is one model that pushes the tropical feature as they called it further west has been the European.
1 likes   

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

#939 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:08 am

I'm hoping it happens to some extent. I think Texas needs some rain just not prolonged and I need a nice weekend. Sick of rain every weekend. Want to hit the pool or the bike. Hoping for some subsidence down here. :roll:
2 likes   
hurricanelonny

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#940 Postby stormlover2013 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:14 am

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”