Atlantic Sea Surface Temperatures and Anomalies

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#421 Postby Aquawind » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:46 pm

Were almost at a point were this SST thread is moot.. and need to focus on the depth of the heat for Major Cane support

YES THE WATERS ARE WARM ENOUGH..LOL :lol:
0 likes   

accuweather
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Atlantic Sea Surface Temperatures and Anomalies

#422 Postby accuweather » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:31 am

So in the previous post where I quoted NDBC they said that the buoy readings matched the RTG-SST anomalies. That worries me because the buoy readings go INTO the RTG-SST anomalies, according to this page:

http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/sst/ophi/

And what's worse is that "It is the RTG-SST that is used to initialize many of the North American and global models" according to this page:

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/MWR3465.1

I asked them if that might mean the models are getting bad data, but they only replied that both daytime and nighttime buoy readings are going into the RTG-SST.
0 likes   
--
Jesse Ferrell, AccuWeather.com Community Director
Blog & Webcam at http://weathermatrix.accuweather.com/

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#423 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:47 am

Aquawind wrote:Were almost at a point were this SST thread is mute.. and need to focus on the depth of the heat for Major Cane support

YES THE WATERS ARE WARM ENOUGH..LOL :lol:

Scary TCHP graphic.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#424 Postby Aquawind » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:11 am

accuweather wrote:So in the previous post where I quoted NDBC they said that the buoy readings matched the RTG-SST anomalies. That worries me because the buoy readings go INTO the RTG-SST anomalies, according to this page:

http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/sst/ophi/

And what's worse is that "It is the RTG-SST that is used to initialize many of the North American and global models" according to this page:

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/MWR3465.1

I asked them if that might mean the models are getting bad data, but they only replied that both daytime and nighttime buoy readings are going into the RTG-SST.

So let's say we have 15 observations that could be higher by a few degrees. How much could that affect the models and in what way would be a good question? Could that support a stronger ridging above and thus have the models tend to push systems to the west more? I assume they are saying it would affect all the runs consistently. Not sure how much this would affect the models but it make ya go hmmm...
Scary TCHP graphic.

And it's only going to get worse..
0 likes   

Scorpion

#425 Postby Scorpion » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:23 am

This is just obscene! Those poor coral reefs :eek:

0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#426 Postby Aquawind » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:30 pm

I want everybody along the coast to empty their Ice Trays from the freezer into the GOM and refill and empty...untill December please.. Jamaican's and Cuban's please do the same.. Or better yet let's have Scotty beam over a few icebergs to the area.. :wink:
0 likes   

Charles-KD5ZSM
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#427 Postby Charles-KD5ZSM » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:41 am

The data from all real-time observations for NCEP analysis and model data input (buoys, satellite, ships, etc.) undergo a QC process and questionable data is flagged.
Last edited by Charles-KD5ZSM on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#428 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Beyond belief! Look how La Niña is taking over.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#429 Postby KWT » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Main MDR zone is a little cooler this year now compared to 2005, probably because of a fairly strong wave train compared to normal...but the regtion betwen 20-35N looks a good deal warmer than 2005...not sure if thats good or bad really for development.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5

#430 Postby hurricaneCW » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm going to bump this thread because it still has a lot of importance regarding storm potential. SST's are steadily rising in the MDR region making Cape Verde system more likely to develop in the coming weeks with all of that extra energy available.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#431 Postby Stephanie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Last week, the temperature of the ocean at Atlantic City reportedly reached 78 degrees. Today it was at 73 degrees. That's unheard of this time of the year.
0 likes   

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5

#432 Postby hurricaneCW » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:33 pm

I'm not sure which readings are the most accurate but it seems like temperatures off the mid-atlantic coast from Virgina Beach to Long Island are generally averaging in the mid 70s (74-76). I've seen reports of 78-79 degree readings and they were even higher a week and a half ago. Anyway the readings are anywhere from 2-3.5 degrees Celsius above normal for areas north of 35N. If we do get a tropical system up here, that could make a lot of difference with regards to its intensity.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#433 Postby KWT » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Without a doubt those waters have done a huge 180 flip even in comprasion to 6-8 weeks ago, if we do get an east coast system then certainly could be stronger then expected if conditions are decent enough.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#434 Postby cycloneye » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:35 am

Below is today's discussion by Dr Jeff Masters about the very warm waters in the Atlantic and the record that was set in June.

June SSTs in the tropical Atlantic set a new record
Sea Surface Temperatures (SSTs) in the Atlantic's Main Development Region for hurricanes had their warmest June on record, according to an analysis I did of historical SST data from the UK Hadley Center. SST data goes back to 1850, though there is much missing data before 1910 and during WWI and WWII. SSTs in the Main Development Region (10°N to 20°N and 20°W to 80°W) were 1.33°C above average during June, beating the previous record of 1.26°C set in June 2005. June 2010 is the fifth straight record warm month in the tropical Atlantic, and the third warmest anomaly measured for any month in history. The only warmer anomalies were 1.51°C and 1.46°C, set in May 2010 and April 2010, respectively. As I explained in detail in a post on record February SSTs in the Atlantic, the Arctic Oscillation (AO) and its close cousin, the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO), are largely to blame for the record SSTs, though global warming and Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation (AMO) also play a role. The magnitude of the anomaly has fallen over the past month, since trade winds over the tropical Atlantic have increased to slightly above-normal speeds. These higher trade wind speeds are due to the fact that the Bermuda-Azores High has had above-normal surface pressures over the past month. The Bermuda-Azores High and its associated trade winds are forecast to remain at above-average strength during the next two weeks, according to the latest runs of the GFS model. This means that Atlantic SST anomalies will continue to fall during the remainder of July. However, keep in mind that we are talking about anomalies--the ocean will continue to warm until its usual early September peak in temperature, and it is likely that we will have the warmest or second warmest SSTs on record over the tropical Atlantic during the peak part of hurricane season, mid-August through mid-October.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5

#435 Postby hurricaneCW » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:18 pm

The SST's are in full swing and only a couple of weeks from peaking. They remain well above average for the MDR region and from N.C. to Maine. The Gulf and Caribbean are slightly above normal and more than capable of supporting a major hurricane. So now that we have the energy, let's get the storms rolling.
0 likes   

leaf blower
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#436 Postby leaf blower » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:06 am

Anyone know where i can find an archive of SST's/Anomalies for the North Atlantic. Ireland/GB in particular)

Im trying to find out if the waters are cooler than the last few years.

With all the news reports of the Gulf Stream losing its strength and the coldest winter in decades on the way for Europe. Unfortunately i can only find current SST's but no archive :cry:

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#437 Postby cycloneye » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:47 pm

I haven't looked at the sst graphics for a while as I thought that the MDR was cooling, but for my surprise, is the opposite :eek: Let's see if those waters start to cool as January comes,or they stay well above normal. Here is how it looked as of December 4th.

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#438 Postby cycloneye » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:54 am

Wow,we are in December and look at the North Atlantic and the MDR,how well above normal are those ssta's.Compare this graphic with the last week one at above post and notice the warmer trend caused by the Artic Occilation.

0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#439 Postby ROCK » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:33 am

yeah Luis...those anomalies do look ominous of they hold into spring....with what I suspect nuetral ENSO this could mean another big year....
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#440 Postby Blown Away » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:17 pm

ROCK wrote:yeah Luis...those anomalies do look ominous of they hold into spring....with what I suspect nuetral ENSO this could mean another big year....

If the pattern remains we may have another active season with a weak Bermuda High and majority of the systems staying offshore??
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”