Atlantic Sea Surface Temperatures and Anomalies

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Atlantic Sea Surface Temperatures and Anomalies

#641 Postby cycloneye » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Note=Excellent discussion taking place here but it has gone from the sst's to ENSO. What I did was to move the ENSO posts to the ENSO thread so you can continue the discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=92137&p=2375900#p2375900
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#642 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:00 am

Not a good picture to start the 2014 season.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#643 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:23 am

Look how are things right now so cold. :froze:

0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#644 Postby euro6208 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:41 am

I don't comment much on the atlantic side but i must say that this season will be ultra super slow. El nino, Instability and that image above, lack of sst will encourage alot of people away from the tropics this year...
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#645 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:46 am

cycloneye wrote:Look how are things right now so cold. :froze:

I guess you guys in the Atlantic would wait for a while for things to get started.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#646 Postby NDG » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:31 am

http://oi58.tinypic.com/r8sa35.jpg

They must be using old data because the northern GOM has actually warmed up nicely during this past week thanks to mid level ridging and this map does not look as much detailed as other sites.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#647 Postby NDG » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:46 am

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:

I guess you guys in the Atlantic would wait for a while for things to get started.

I think you guys pay too much attention to SST "anomaly", the most important thing is that SSTs are already warm enough in areas where climatologically we get tropical cyclone development during the month of June in the Atlantic Basin.

TCHP in the NW Caribbean is currently even greater than the eastern Pacific area.

0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#648 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:29 am

I agree the absolute anoms don't have a great effect on storms peak season because waters are always warm enough. What anoms can help figure is where higher and lower pressures between adjacent regions will be located which can influence subsidence vs rising air favorability.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

#649 Postby jinftl » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:14 pm

Quite remarkable how much warmer the SW Atlantic is right now compared to a year ago - particularly the area north of 20N latitude and between 60W and 80W longitude - i.e, the area extending well east of the Bahamas to the U.S. S.E. Coast

No doubt this contributed to Arthur's ability to intensify

July 3. 2014:

July 3, 2013:

0 likes   

'CaneFreak
Category 5
Category 5

#650 Postby 'CaneFreak » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:28 pm

Excellent point and I think this will be important to remember as we go deeper in the season. Something tells me that these may be the waters where we see a lot more development this season (unlike the typical MDR type of season).

jinftl wrote:Quite remarkable how much warmer the SW Atlantic is right now compared to a year ago - particularly the area north of 20N latitude and between 60W and 80W longitude - i.e, the area extending well east of the Bahamas to the U.S. S.E. Coast

No doubt this contributed to Arthur's ability to intensify

July 3. 2014:

July 3, 2013:

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”