Global model runs discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7381 Postby gatorcane » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:45 pm

floridasun78 wrote:all those 200 hours forecast tooo far out wont waste my time

Development starts from a wave that rolls off Africa in about 1 week which is in the medium-range guidance, which is well within the Euro's range of accuracy for genesis prediction.

Hammy wrote:Concerning the Euro, am I correct that it's more likely to fail to catch something that forms than it is to falsely show something that ends up not forming? (I'm discussing with someone outside the forum at the moment and explaining the different models)

Yes I think so. If the ECMWF is showing development, especially in the MDR, I find that usually it means development is likely. That said, we will want to see a couple of more runs to see if they continue to showing development.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#7382 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:40 pm

I remember a couple of weeks ago the Euro was showing a full blown hurricane out in the Atlantic threatening Bermuda for only one run.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#7383 Postby gatorcane » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:44 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:I remember a couple of weeks ago the Euro was showing a full blown hurricane out in the Atlantic threatening Bermuda for only one run.

Yep and that ended up becoming hurricane Cristobal even though that one run wasn't quite the exact track it followed as that initial run showed Cristobal heading NE of the Leewards, the point is it DID develop.
0 likes   

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

#7384 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:55 pm

Be nice to have atleast one long tracker this year. :D
0 likes   
hurricanelonny

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#7385 Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:23 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:I remember a couple of weeks ago the Euro was showing a full blown hurricane out in the Atlantic threatening Bermuda for only one run.

Something I've noticed (with several of the models in fact) is that there have been several instances where a storm develops, and it will show up in the 8-10 day runs, then as it gets closer to 4-6 days it'll weaken or drop, then show it again when it gets to within 3-5 days or so.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Global Model Runs Discussion

#7386 Postby SFLcane » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Is that really the euro showing a TC in the central atl? I'am watching...

0 likes   

pgoss11
Category 2
Category 2

#7387 Postby pgoss11 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:07 pm

It is :eek:
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#7388 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:17 pm

Euro showing back to back waves developing off of Africa. One weak and heading northwest and one stronger and staying west. When was the last time the euro showed back to back development?
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#7389 Postby blp » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:27 pm

tolakram wrote:Euro showing back to back waves developing off of Africa. One weak and heading northwest and one stronger and staying west. When was the last time the euro showed back to back development?

Long time has me interested.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

meriland23
Category 5
Category 5

#7390 Postby meriland23 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:03 am

GFS 384 hours out
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7391 Postby SFLcane » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:06 am

Even stronger developing TW of African coast in this 00z run from the European. Appears to be not much of a threat though heads north out to sea.

0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7392 Postby Alyono » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:23 am

GFS showing 2 more GOM systems

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis ... atl_33.png

This moves into Mexico as a weak system

This second one as a cane near the border
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#7393 Postby tolakram » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:49 am

First two saved pics is the euro. These are different storms, the first dissipates soon after 120h.

GFS 0Z 180h shows both storms.

The 6Z GFS has something over Cape Verde in 90 hours and shows both storms, one just emerging off of Africa, at 180h.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#7394 Postby tolakram » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:52 am

First wave, the 90h storm pictured above, has its own thread now: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=116685&hilit=&view=unread#unread
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

meriland23
Category 5
Category 5

#7395 Postby meriland23 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:14 am

GFS shows a impressive system hitting mexico\ almost kissing S TX. Other systems were fishing, then stalled
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#7396 Postby somethingfunny » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:49 am

meriland23 wrote:GFS shows a impressive system hitting mexico\ almost kissing S TX. Other systems were fishing, then stalled

G by mid-September would be pretty darn good for a "dead season". It could even be H, if that other BOC storm in the midrange manages to develop as well. I am a little bit suspicious of these storms though, considering that a negative MJO/KW phase is moving in and it was strong enough to shut down the WPAC for a month.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#7397 Postby gatorcane » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:57 am

Alyono wrote:GFS showing 2 more GOM systems

This moves into Mexico as a weak system

This second one as a cane near the border

The GEM is now showing this low too but never manages to make it over water so doesn't develop. It's over Belize as a 1006MB low at 162 hours then moves NW to just south of the BOC.
0 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#7398 Postby blp » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:00 am

SFLcane wrote:Even stronger developing TW of African coast in this 00z run from the European. Appears to be not much of a threat though heads north out to sea.

[]http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWFTROPATL0.5_0z/f240.gif[/img]

So far the Euro has been very consistent on the intensity. On the track it has delyaed it some since yesteday had it reaching 40W. One thing I noticied is that it intially develops the front wave and then it get's smashed by what looks like an ULL so it has a similar idea to the GFS just that the GFS develops both areas. The other difference is the GFS has basically a thin ridge and everything goes OTS where as the Euro has a little more of ridge. The GFS is really hard to look at lately past 144hrs it has busted badly on several waves.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7399 Postby Alyono » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:29 am

somethingfunny wrote:
meriland23 wrote:GFS shows a impressive system hitting mexico\ almost kissing S TX. Other systems were fishing, then stalled

G by mid-September would be pretty darn good for a "dead season". It could even be H, if that other BOC storm in the midrange manages to develop as well. I am a little bit suspicious of these storms though, considering that a negative MJO/KW phase is moving in and it was strong enough to shut down the WPAC for a month.

should start to become more favorable for the Gulf in about 10 days

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... l#forecast
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7400 Postby SFLcane » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:56 am

Some noise on the models but no real threats as of yet.
0 likes   

Return to “2015”