Global model runs discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Global Model Runs Discussion

#8101 Postby cycloneye » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:30 am

Met Office to build £97m supercomputer

Let's see how this new tool improves more than they are doing now the ECMWF and UKMET.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29789208
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8102 Postby gatorcane » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:50 am

Hammy wrote:Euro is developing another storm in about nine days on the end of a frontal boundary.

Here is the 240 hour frame with the system heading towards the NW with a large ridge over the NE United States building in. Strange setup for November. Not much to see on the GFS except I do see it showing a large area of disturbed weather retrograding west from the tail end of the front. Let's see if future Euro runs continue with this:

0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8103 Postby gatorcane » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:17 am

cycloneye wrote:Met Office to build £97m supercomputer

Let's see how this new tool improves more than they are doing now the ECMWF and UKMET.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29789208

Wow looks like a very impressive supercomputer. That is great the UK is investing so much in computer weather forecasting models. Does anybody know what the plans are for this country to upgrade their systems - namely the GFS model?

Also, are we going to have access to this model's output like we have for the UKMET or is it going to be more like the ECMWF where data is proprietary?
0 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#8104 Postby blp » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:13 am

The year of the trough. Updated graphic. Amazing how stuck the pattern has been. Bermuda surely wants to see this end I would think.

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#8105 Postby cycloneye » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:55 am

Also, are we going to have access to this model's output like we have for the UKMET or is it going to be more like the ECMWF where data is proprietary?

gatorcane,I am sure that as time goes by before the September 2015 upgrade there will be more details about what you are asking.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#8106 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:53 pm

Hammy wrote:Euro is developing another storm in about nine days on the end of a frontal boundary.

12z Euro no longer develops it due to strong EC trough, unlike 00z where there was strong ridging instead.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8107 Postby SFLcane » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:43 pm

Its been the year of the trof for a few seasons now. New prime zone for development 30n in the Atlantic.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8108 Postby gatorcane » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:08 am

Global models seem to be advertising the possibility of some kind of weak low / area of disturbed weather that forms from the tail end of an anomalously strong cold front (same front that is causing the below normal temperatures this weekend over the Eastern United States) just a little north of Puerto Rico and retrogrades back west starting around 5-6 days from now. I included the 00Z ECMWF 168 hour image below as an example

None of them are showing development in the 00Z runs, but curious what ends up happening to this feature. Given it's late in the season out there for getting development, I am not expecting anything significant to come of this, but something to keep an eye on as that is the only thing I can see looking at the models that has the slightest chance of tropical development through the next 10 days.

0 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

Re:

#8109 Postby AJC3 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:25 pm

gatorcane wrote:Global models seem to be advertising the possibility of some kind of weak low / area of disturbed weather that forms from the tail end of an anomalously strong cold front (same front that is causing the below normal temperatures this weekend over the Eastern United States) just a little north of Puerto Rico and retrogrades back west starting around 5-6 days from now. I included the 00Z ECMWF 168 hour image below as an example

None of them are showing development in the 00Z runs, but curious what ends up happening to this feature. Given it's late in the season out there for getting development, I am not expecting anything significant to come of this, but something to keep an eye on as that is the only thing I can see looking at the models that has the slightest chance of tropical development through the next 10 days.

The 12Z/18Z global guidance is pointing to the base of the 500MB trough pinching off in the western Atlantic somewhere near 25N 70W in about 4.5 days, then continuing to drop southwestward for another day or two and then slowly westward as it gets trapped beneath a building ridge to the north. To me this is a pretty strong signal, and suggests unsettled weather (storms, heavy rain) for the DR/PR area next week, with the (baroclinic) development or enhancement of an inverted surface trough (the stalled frontal boundary) in that area.

0 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#8110 Postby blp » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks for posting.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#8111 Postby blp » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Levi Cowan now posting Parallel GFS runs on his site. I did not know they were going to upgrade the GFS. That is great news. :woo:

A limited selection of Parallel GFS products are available in real-time until the GFS gets officially upgraded in December.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8112 Postby Yellow Evan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:22 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... er-behind/

Very long but interesting read. It's been one run, but I wasn't too impressed by the new parallel GFS. It seemed a bit conservative. I know the GFS took a lot of heat in 2012, but honestly, that year, from my observation, was the best the GFS has ever preformed.

I know nothing about the KMA and I'm not a fan of the UKMET, two other models the article mentions.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#8113 Postby tolakram » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:07 am

The problem won't be fixed by throwing more hardware at it, in my opinion.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8114 Postby Alyono » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:28 am

the problem will be fixed if MU goes to a 21st century data assimilation scheme. Even the Canadian model uses 4DVAR, yet MU insists on sticking with a 3DVAR hybrid
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8115 Postby Yellow Evan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:14 am

Since I thought this comment was rather interesting, I will re-post it here (fee free to delete if deemed inappropriate).

It turns out that NOAA made a very bad decision in their computer acquisitions. They committed themselves for an extended period to buy only from IBM, thus losing the ability to shop around for the best deal during each replacement cycle. And now IBM is planning to sell its server business to Lenovo, a Chinese company, and this is setting off all sorts of warning bells in the U.S. government, and specifically for the new weather computer acquisition. If NOAA was not stuck with IBM they could go with other vendors, like CRAY, which sells U.S. machines that have no security issues (in fact, the European Center liked them so much they bought one!).

Doing some more browsing, here are some graphics.

0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#8116 Postby somethingfunny » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:28 pm

Anything new on the horizon? I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more subtropical style popups
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#8117 Postby floridasun78 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:13 pm

somethingfunny wrote:Anything new on the horizon? I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more subtropical style popups

here Tropical Weather Outlook Text

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
700 AM EST MON NOV 3 2014

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. An area of low pressure is expected to form to the north of
Hispaniola around the middle of the week. This system could
acquire subtropical characteristics before it moves northward and
northeastward and weakens or merges with a frontal system toward the
end of the week.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.

Forecaster Brown
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Global Model Runs Discussion=New upgrade to GFS on Dec 17

#8118 Postby cycloneye » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:42 pm

New upgrade to GFS on December 17 at 12z

Let's see if this new upgrade eliminates the ghost storms. :)

Effective on or about December 17, 2014, beginning with the 1200

Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) run, the National Centers for

Environmental Prediction (NCEP) will upgrade the GFS Analysis and

Forecast System which includes:

- Changing model components

- Increasing horizontal resolution

- Adding 0.25 degree gridded output

- Adding new product fields

- Changing product naming convention

- Changing product timeliness

- Generating downstream model impacts

More at link below:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/notification/tin14-46gfs.htm
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8119 Postby Alyono » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:10 pm

this couldnt come soon enough. It is indicating another MU special in the Caribbean
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#8120 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Alyono wrote:this couldnt come soon enough. It is indicating another MU special in the Caribbean

Someone needs to inform "MU" that the season has been over for several weeks now, despite it only being November 12th! :lol:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Return to “2015”