Katia and Rina

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

Katia and Rina

#1 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:01 pm

Since the 2011 season is the next season in line, I'd thought I'd bring up your thoughts on these two names in particular. They replaced the names Katrina and Rita, respectively (I'm using it loosely here), because I want your opinion on whether or not they were good replacement names.

I've seen on this board, somewhat, about people mentioning not wanting to use replacement names that are similar to past storms (like how Fred is on the first list, even though Frederic was retired thirty years prior).

And the thing about these two names:

Katia and Katrina both have "Kat" in them. Except Katia, I think is French, because it affected New Orleans, so I guess that's what they suggested. Plus, I play the Sims 3, and Kaylynn Langerak's name is Katia in the French version.

Rina, has two reasons for controversy: One, it has three of the four letters from "Rita" in it, and is even the same length. Plus, you can't spell Katrina, without Rina. So yeah. What's your opinion on these names, and if you think they should have chosen different names, what would you have chosen?
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

frigidice77

#2 Postby frigidice77 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:35 pm

I think they should have made a better choice. They shouldve did karolina and rasheeda lol.
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

Re:

#3 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:38 pm

frigidice77 wrote:I think they should have made a better choice. They shouldve did karolina and rasheeda lol.

LOL yeah. But what if Karolina made landfall in one of the Carolinas? That would be kinda bad.

I would have suggested Kelly and Raquel!
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

frigidice77

#4 Postby frigidice77 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:43 pm

What happens if katia make landfalls in new orleans? :D
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

Re:

#5 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:47 pm

frigidice77 wrote:What happens if katia make landfalls in new orleans? :D

Then I guess the WMO will be getting calls saying "Way to choose Katrina's daughter" or "You chose THAT name?" Or "Out of all the names out there, you chose THIS?".
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

frigidice77

#6 Postby frigidice77 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:55 pm

They will probably replace katia with kati and that with kat. Lmao!
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:56 pm

As for Rina, that is so far down we won't get there unless we have a hyperactive season.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Katia and Rina

#8 Postby HURAKAN » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:37 pm

It's only controversial around people like us that care about this stuff. The rest 99.99999999999999999% of the people don't care if they're named, or numbered, etc. The majority only care about when the hurricane is going to make landfall and how strong it's. That aside, Katia and Rina serve their purpose. We can't be picky, there's a limited amount of names out there, a lot of names but not unlimited. Both names haven't been retired or used in the Atlantic and both are easy to pronounce, that's what I care about.
0 likes   

frigidice77

#9 Postby frigidice77 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:56 pm

You said it hurakan.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#10 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:32 pm

It's worth it to remind everybody that Katia is pronounced completely differently than Katrina was. Think of it as a Russian "Katja" or even "caught ya". It's a very unique name and shouldn't cause any problems, though maybe they should have picked the "Katya" spelling instead.

As for Rina....yeah, that's a pretty awful and unimaginiative name. I don't know what to say about that one. Hopefully we won't reach the R name next season. :lol:
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

frigidice77

#11 Postby frigidice77 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:53 pm

Well that makes more sense. Thought it was pronounced(ka-tee-uh
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Chacor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:11 am

0 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:07 am

I have thought these were very unfortunate choices ever since they were announced. To replace Katrina and Rita with two names which are so similar, and both of which could be considered short forms of Katrina itself, was just bizarre.

It's particularly bizarre because since both of those hurricanes only affected the USA, it must have been whoever in NOAA decides to ask for names to be replaced who came up with those replacements. When a country asks for a name to be replaced ,it also provides a list of three possible replacement names and the WMO committer picks one of the three. Of course, it's never been clear to me at all who makes those decisions in NOAA. But whoever did that in 2006 was clearly tone deaf to what would make good replacements for Katrina and Rita.
Last edited by Cleveland Kent Evans on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:27 am

HURAKAN wrote:It's only controversial around people like us that care about this stuff. The rest 99.99999999999999999% of the people don't care if they're named, or numbered, etc. The majority only care about when the hurricane is going to make landfall and how strong it's. That aside, Katia and Rina serve their purpose. We can't be picky, there's a limited amount of names out there, a lot of names but not unlimited. Both names haven't been retired or used in the Atlantic and both are easy to pronounce, that's what I care about.

Sorry, I can't agree with parts of this statement.

As a former President of the American Name Society, I think you underestimate a tad the % of the general public that pays attention to the naming of hurricanes -- or the naming of anything that affects their lives.

Also, the comment about "a limited number of names out there" just doesn't make any sense in this instance. There are many commonly used female names in the USA starting with K and R that aren't so closely related to Katrina and Rita, and which are on neither the Atlantic nor Eastern Pacific lists.

Kara, Karla, Kathleen, Kaya, Kayla, Kaylee, Keeley, Keira, Keisha, Kelly, Kelsey, Kendra, Keri, Kiana, Kim, Kimberly, Kirsten, Kitty, Kristen, Kyla, and Kylie would all have been better choices than Katia. They are all more commonly used in the USA than Katia, which is very rare, and most have more obvious pronunciations. Many people looking at Katia are going to pronounce it as KOT-ya, or KATE-ee-uh because they will be so unfamiliar with it.

Ramona, Raquel, Raven, Regina, Rhoda, Rhonda, Robin, Rowena, Ruby, and Ruth would all have been better choices than Rina, in my opinion.

I think whoever made the choices in early 2006 just has very little interest or expertise in names and naming, and it shows.
0 likes   

Migle
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#15 Postby Migle » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:26 am

I have no problem with Katia, but yeah, if it hits New Orleans there is probably going to be some PO'd people here. Now, Rina... all they did was switch the t for the n. I think they could chosen something better for that one. Let's just hope we don't get down to R and we won't have any problems.
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#16 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
HURAKAN wrote:It's only controversial around people like us that care about this stuff. The rest 99.99999999999999999% of the people don't care if they're named, or numbered, etc. The majority only care about when the hurricane is going to make landfall and how strong it's. That aside, Katia and Rina serve their purpose. We can't be picky, there's a limited amount of names out there, a lot of names but not unlimited. Both names haven't been retired or used in the Atlantic and both are easy to pronounce, that's what I care about.

Sorry, I can't agree with parts of this statement.

As a former President of the American Name Society, I think you underestimate a tad the % of the general public that pays attention to the naming of hurricanes -- or the naming of anything that affects their lives.

Also, the comment about "a limited number of names out there" just doesn't make any sense in this instance. There are many commonly used female names in the USA starting with K and R that aren't so closely related to Katrina and Rita, and which are on neither the Atlantic nor Eastern Pacific lists.

Kara, Karla, Kathleen, Kaya, Kayla, Kaylee, Keeley, Keira, Keisha, Kelly, Kelsey, Kendra, Keri, Kiana, Kim, Kimberly, Kirsten, Kitty, Kristen, Kyla, and Kylie would all have been better choices than Katia. They are all more commonly used in the USA than Katia, which is very rare, and most have more obvious pronunciations. Many people looking at Katia are going to pronounce it as KOT-ya, or KATE-ee-uh because they will be so unfamiliar with it.

Ramona, Raquel, Raven, Regina, Rhoda, Rhonda, Robin, Rowena, Ruby, and Ruth would all have been better choices than Rina, in my opinion.

I think whoever made the choices in early 2006 just has very little interest or expertise in names and naming, and it shows.

Completely agree here. I actually have friends who are named Kara, Kathleen, Kayla, Kaylee, Kelly, Kelsey, Kendra, Kim, and Kylie. I would have so enjoyed those names better.
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#17 Postby wxman57 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:56 pm

Far worse than Katia or Rina is 2008 Ike's replacement name: Isaias

Can't wait to see that one butchered in 2014. It's 4 syllables. E'-seye-E'-us
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#18 Postby HURAKAN » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:51 pm

Some people put too much weight on names. Katia and Rina are fine. Small and easy to pronounce.

We're likely to see Katia several times unless it gets retired but Rina has a very low chance to even be used once. 3 R names between 1980-2010 or about 10% per year.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#19 Postby HURAKAN » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:54 pm

wxman57 wrote:Far worse than Katia or Rina is 2008 Ike's replacement name: Isaias

If you read it in Spanish, it's really easy to pronounce.
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Category 5 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:18 pm

HURAKAN wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Far worse than Katia or Rina is 2008 Ike's replacement name: Isaias

If you read it in Spanish, it's really easy to pronounce.

Or if you're like the majority of the American public that doesn't, hilarity will ensue, I cannot wait for the NHC to have to clarify it 1,000 times.

Hell, there was enough trouble with Georges and Beryl. :lol:
0 likes   
"GAME SET MATCH GIANTS WILL WIN THE NFC EAST and have a FIRST ROUND BYE with a win next week!!!" - StormingB81, the Giants lost, and did not win the NFC east.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”