Top hurricane sat photos of all time...

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
tatertawt24
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Top hurricane sat photos of all time...

#221 Postby tatertawt24 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:
tatertawt24 wrote:
Do you have a source for the 175 knots? I have trouble believing that even Haiyan would have 200mph winds, and Megi's presentation was not even close to Haiyan's. Of course, you can't determine winds from the structure, but I can't help but feel more skeptical of it. The only time I could fully accept 175 knots is in a really explosively intensifying storm with a tiny eye, like Forrest (not the best example though, since apparently Forrest's winds were only 150 knots).

The HDOB's I posted above support 175 knots.

Just curious, why do you have problems believing that Haiyan had 175 knots?

I'm not sure. I'm dubious with any estimate that high, even if it's a storm as impressive as Haiyan. I don't even think the Labor Day storm of 1935 had winds of 200mph.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#222 Postby Yellow Evan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:47 pm

tatertawt24 wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:
tatertawt24 wrote:
Do you have a source for the 175 knots? I have trouble believing that even Haiyan would have 200mph winds, and Megi's presentation was not even close to Haiyan's. Of course, you can't determine winds from the structure, but I can't help but feel more skeptical of it. The only time I could fully accept 175 knots is in a really explosively intensifying storm with a tiny eye, like Forrest (not the best example though, since apparently Forrest's winds were only 150 knots).

I'm not sure. I'm dubious with any estimate that high, even if it's a storm as impressive as Haiyan. I don't even think the Labor Day storm of 1935 had winds of 200mph.

160 knots is fine for 1935 Labor Day.

I know it's hard to imagine extreme winds, but it's also hard to image such a thick ring of -80C cloud tops occuring in a tropical cyclone as well.
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#223 Postby euro6208 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:34 am

tatertawt24 wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:
tatertawt24 wrote:

I think you are too spoiled with your hurricanes maxing out at just below category 5 or Cat 3, or even a Cat 1.

Remember Megi had Recon and Haiyan was better overall.

The WPAC is a different beast. Bring recon here, no one will be dubious...
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

tatertawt24
Category 1
Category 1

#224 Postby tatertawt24 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:08 am

euro6208 wrote:
I think you are too spoiled with your hurricanes maxing out at just below category 5 or Cat 3, or even a Cat 1.

Spoiled wouldn't be the right word for that, but I get your point. :lol: I'm very conservative in estimates, probably because storms that would be placed in the imaginary cat 6 territory, (160 knots) are virtually unheard of in the Atlantic.

Was Haiyan still estimated to be at max intensity when it hit Guiuan? I thought I remembered reading that it was on a slight weakening trend by that point, which means the winds would not have reached the surface as consistently as a rapidly intensifying one. Or maybe I'm getting Guiuan confused with Tacloban...

^Anyone know how close to the water this damage picture in Guiuan was? If only wind caused that, then color me impressed -- well into cat 5 range, but I'm not sure what sustained 195mph damage would even look like.

And so I don't derail...

High-quality IR of Andrew.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#225 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:28 am

tatertawt24 wrote:
euro6208 wrote:

Spoiled wouldn't be the right word for that, but I get your point. :lol: I'm very conservative in estimates, probably because storms that would be placed in the imaginary cat 6 territory, (160 knots) are virtually unheard of in the Atlantic.

Was Haiyan still estimated to be at max intensity when it hit Guiuan? I thought I remembered reading that it was on a slight weakening trend by that point, which means the winds would not have reached the surface as consistently as a rapidly intensifying one. Or maybe I'm getting Guiuan confused with Tacloban...

^Anyone know how close to the water this damage picture in Guiuan was? If only wind caused that, then color me impressed -- well into cat 5 range, but I'm not sure what sustained 195mph damage would even look like.

And so I don't derail...

High-quality IR of Andrew.

Hayain was past peak at landfall. And had weakened further at landfall in Tacloban.

Based on pressure reports from iCyclone and Tacloban airport (far from the eye, been estimate to be around 890 mbar) and pressure reports at Guiuan in the 880's IIRC, that would suggest an intensity of around 165 knots at landfall. Given that the cloud tops were warming at landfall and the CDO became a little less organized, this storm was likely around 170-180 knots at peak.

I know it's hard to fanthom, but best way to look at is: most Cat 5's with winds of 140 knots have a solid ring of -70C convection. If there was just a ring of -60C convection, the storm would be ~105 knots. If a storm had a ring of -80C convection, one could presume a storm would have 170+ knot winds based on that.

Sorry if I'm going off-topic.
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#226 Postby 1900hurricane » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:59 pm

Fans of annular tropical cyclones might want to look in the Western Pacific right now.

0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#227 Postby mrbagyo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:24 am

1900hurricane wrote:Fans of annular tropical cyclones might want to look in the Western Pacific right now.

Longwang (2005) and Dujuan (2015) are almost identical in strength, structure.
Both made landfall in Taiwan as category 4 typhoon

1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

tatertawt24
Category 1
Category 1

#228 Postby tatertawt24 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:28 pm

Figured I'd go ahead and be the first one to post these. :lol:
0 likes   

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#229 Postby supercane4867 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:13 pm

The night when dream becomes reality

1 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#230 Postby euro6208 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:36 am

tatertawt24 wrote:
euro6208 wrote:

Cricket cricket...

If Patricia was at 175 and Megi at 175, I can't imagine what Haiyan peaked at probrably 185 to 200 knots sustained.

There are a bunch of typhoons more impressive than this EPAC super typhoon but no recon.

If the EPAC can do it once, the WPAC has done it 1000X more...

I'm glad Patricia happen, it would give more spotlight to our super typhoons {That are stronger] for comparison.
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#231 Postby Alyono » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:57 am

no, Euro, the Pacific typhoons likely do not get regularly more intense than Patricia. Just no. Haiyan is likely the only one that had higher winds than Patricia
0 likes   

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#232 Postby supercane4867 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:13 am

euro6208 wrote:Cricket cricket...

If Patricia was at 175 and Megi at 175, I can't imagine what Haiyan peaked at probrably 185 to 200 knots sustained.

There are a bunch of typhoons more impressive than this EPAC super typhoon but no recon.

If the EPAC can do it once, the WPAC has done it 1000X more...

I'm glad Patricia happen, it would give more spotlight to our super typhoons {That are stronger] for comparison.

Alyono wrote:no, Euro, the Pacific typhoons likely do not get regularly more intense than Patricia. Just no. Haiyan is likely the only one that had higher winds than Patricia

You have to admit that, in rare cases, other basins outside WPAC has the potential to generate windspeeds equally strong as those top intense typhoons, period.
0 likes   

tatertawt24
Category 1
Category 1

#233 Postby tatertawt24 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:18 pm

Like I said earlier, I'm more likely to believe a storm has 200mph winds at the surface when it's EXPLOSIVELY intensifying and have super tiny pinhole eyes like Patricia did. Storms like Haiyan and Megi rapidly intensified at first but when they were at their best presentation, they seemed to be more steady-state than rapid intensifiers.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#234 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:41 pm

Agree with Yellow Evan and Alyono, that even storms or hurricanes from other basins can actually beat our storms... Our top 10 typhoons can happen in any basin if a favorable environment like that with what happened to Patricia (favorable trough interaction) or Haiyan. But I concur with others too, the strongest winds (not pressure) may come from Haiyan
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#235 Postby 1900hurricane » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:23 pm

I'm personally a fan of this IR pass of Typhoon Atsani. I'm a sucker for big eyes and bands.

1 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#236 Postby euro6208 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:34 am

Cyclone Ula in the South Pacific!

0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#237 Postby euro6208 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:50 am

Cyclone Pam last year battering the South Pacific!

0 likes   

znel52
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#238 Postby znel52 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:10 pm

Hurricane Alex 2004 version in the North Atlantic as a major.

0 likes   
'96 Bertha/'96 Fran/'98 Bonnie/'99 Floyd/'03 Isabel/'04 Alex/'05 Ophelia/'11 Irene/'14 Arthur/'16 Matthew

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data.

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#239 Postby euro6208 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:32 am

The strongest SPAC cyclone of all time. A category 5 through poor Fiji.
0 likes   

StormChaser75
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#240 Postby StormChaser75 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:57 pm

Surprised no one has talked about this , cat 4 hurricane juliette in 2001. when at one point had 3 simultaneous eyewalls!
then at around peak intensity>. Image
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”