What is your attitude when a hurricane approaches your area?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Deviate and go away
21%
Bring it on
41%
I have it both ways
38%

Total votes: 81

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1 Postby cycloneye » Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 am

This is an interesting question as the 2012 North Atlantic Hurricane season gets officially underway. Different from the numbers poll,this poll will not close to allow many votes as possible and to allow the members to make comments about this topic.

My personal attitude is after two very strong landfalls in my lifetime (Hugo 1989 / Georges-1998) is go away from not only Puerto Rico,but away as a fish without threatening the islands.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu May 31, 2012 11:43 am

If you cant beat them ... then enjoy them. prepare prepare prepare.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

'CaneFreak
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#3 Postby 'CaneFreak » Thu May 31, 2012 11:46 am

That's my attitude as well. And learn as much as you can about them so that you can prepare better each time.

Aric Dunn wrote:If you cant beat them ... then enjoy them. prepare prepare prepare.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#4 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu May 31, 2012 11:51 am

'CaneFreak wrote:That's my attitude as well. And learn as much as you can about them so that you can prepare better each time.

Aric Dunn wrote:If you cant beat them ... then enjoy them. prepare prepare prepare.

Its mother nature at her finest ! let it scare you and you wont respect it, let inspire you and you can learn from it, and if you let it get the best of you then you then try harder next time. but dont run from it... just means something else will find you.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby brunota2003 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:53 am

I gotta go with both...There is just that feeling of realization between first entering the cone to the day/night before it hits, and the anticipation build up as you watch those first spiral bands work their way onshore. We were just finishing up preps when we got hit by the first band from one of the storms in NC...it went from cloudy and light winds to heavy rain and decent winds almost in the blink of an eye.

If they are strong, I like them to stay away from everything...but a weak or moderate tropical storm I don't mind. There's just something fascinating/captivating about watching the system move in, and thinking about just how much raw power it takes to get the minimum tropical storms going, let alone hurricanes...and there is no better way to get that feeling of awe/appreciation for them than by actually witnessing one.
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

Riptide
Category 2
Category 2

Re: What is your attitude when a hurricane approaches your area?

#6 Postby Riptide » Thu May 31, 2012 12:01 pm

Depends on the intensity and size of the tropical cyclone, also its impact on drought or flooding.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Cyclenall » Thu May 31, 2012 4:23 pm

Since I'm in Ontario, I say bring them on since it creates more interesting weather here and I'm always for that. Worst one was Hazel more for the Toronto area and Isabel gave us nada. They weren't officially tropical cyclones anymore so the chances of it staying tropical are extremely low.
0 likes   

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Javlin » Thu May 31, 2012 5:14 pm

I gp both ways on this one.The intensity apprehension from the newbies is pretty interesting but the aftermath is were will's can be broken and tried.If one comes out on the otherside alright I believe he/she will be better and stronger for other events life throws at you.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Tireman4 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:25 pm

RUN!!! (LOL)...
0 likes   

Jag95
Category 1
Category 1

#10 Postby Jag95 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:30 pm

It really all depends on how brave I'm feeling. I live about 20 miles from the Gulf and 10 from the Bay, so I'm probably safe from the life threatening situations. Therefore, I think it's better to just stay off of the road and let the others have it. Even though I hope I never have to go through another major, I voted "bring it on" because I'm probably not going anywhere.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu May 31, 2012 7:20 pm

Stay and experience what it has to offer unless its a Cat. 4 or 5.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

#12 Postby Jagno » Thu May 31, 2012 9:45 pm

I have enough respect to get out of the way and allow nature all the room it needs, what it needs, and in it's own time.

My attitude is to be as prepared as possible and learn from past mistakes. I don't prepare to avoid the catastrophic damages but to not be as devastated by them because I have alternative measures in place.
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby Blown Away » Thu May 31, 2012 10:44 pm

Honest, the excitement and buildup from an approaching hurricane is a unique experience! Watching the eyewall pass, seeing clouds rotate at amazing speeds, and experiencing the calm eye is a drug I'm addicted to. That being said, I was in the eye of Frances, Jeanne, and Wilma and experienced damage and it cost me thousands of dollars and had family and freinds that lost their homes and lost jobs. Nobody can afford the problems that come w/ a hurricane and the consequnces out weigh my curiousity, so I don't want to see anymore coming to Hobe Sound.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#14 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:08 pm

Not much I can really do. After all, they are so rare here. There is no record of true hurricane conditions where I live, although tropical storm conditions happen every 5-15 years or so.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby angelwing » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:24 am

I have to go with both, the last one that hit me bad was Floyd and that was a mess. I just keep an eye on what's going on as we don't get them that bad here.
0 likes   

SCUBAdude
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#16 Postby SCUBAdude » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:09 am

As exciting as they are when they approach the aftermath is just terrible. I use to get excited at the thought of riding one out but after losing my job(s) with Ivan and my house as a result of Katrina they just aren't as fun anymore.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#17 Postby cycloneye » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:45 am

Good comments going here and the poll voting is very close between the options available,so keep it rolling as this one will never close. :)
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

ciclonson
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#18 Postby ciclonson » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:07 am

Stay no matter what. Always have, always will. Nothing like watching Mother Nature up close and personal. Don't wish any harm on anyone, not to their persons or property, but for me Andrew, Katrina, and Wilma were just simply amazing to watch as well as the countless lesser storms we have experienced in my area.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#19 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:13 pm

Not a problem here :D

However I just saw this go by on my facebook wall.....(could be why I'm seeing more Texans though and point (e) way down below might explain the massive gold rings on one fellow's hand) ..... I'm sure Florida could also be included

Ok - this is totally funny and since I laughed out loud I thought I would share it with my FB world! Please note - I AM NOT THE AUTHOR -otherwise I would have added some of our personal experience on this subject, which, after reading, would have placed you in the emergency room due to respiratory distress from laughing. But nonetheless, enjoy!

PS Watch out for alligators in your pool!!

It's that time again. See ya at Walmart!

Subject: Hurricane Preparedness

We have entered the hurricane season. Every day till December 1st, you'll turn on the TV to see a weather person pointing to some radar blob in the Gulf of Mexico and he/she will be making two basic meteorological points:

(1) There is no need to panic. (2) We could all be killed.

Yes, hurricane season is an exciting time to be in Texas. If you're new to the area, you're probably wondering what you need to do to prepare for the possibility that we'll get hit by 'the big one.' Based on our experiences, we recommend that you follow this simple 3-step hurricane preparedness plan:

STEP 1: Buy enough food and bottled water to last your family for at least 3 days. STEP 2: Put these supplies into your car. STEP 3: Drive to Nebraska and remain there until Halloween.

Unfortunately, statistics show that most people will not follow this sensible plan. Most people will foolishly stay here in Texas. So, here are some important hurricane preparedness items:

HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE: If you own a home, you must have hurricane insurance. Fortunately, this insurance is cheap and easy to get, as long as your home meets 2 basic requirements:

(1) It is reasonably well-built, and (2) It is located in Nebraska.

Unfortunately, if your home is located in - or close to - any other area that might actually be hit by a hurricane, most insurance companies would prefer not to sell you hurricane insurance . They might actually have to pay YOU money, and that is certainly not why they got into the insurance business in the first place.

So you'll have to scrounge around for an insurance company that will charge you an annual premium roughly equal to the replacement value of your house. At any moment, this company can drop you like used dental floss. Since Hurricane Katrina, most Texans have had an estimated 27 different home-insurance companies. This week I'm covered by the Bob and Big Stan Insurance Company under a policy that states, in addition to my premium, Bob and Big Stan are entitled, on demand, to my kidneys.

SHUTTERS: Your house should have hurricane shutters on all the windows, all the doors and, if it's a major hurricane, all the toilets. There are several types of shutters :

Plywood shutters: The advantage is that, because you make them yourself, they're cheap. The disadvantage is that, because you make them yourself, they will blow off.

Sheet-metal shutters: The advantage is that these work well - once you get them all up. The disadvantage is that once you get them all up, your hands will be useless bleeding stumps ... and it will be December.

Roll-down shutters: The advantages are that they're very easy to use and will definitely protect your house. The disadvantage is that you will have to sell your house to pay for them.

Hurricane-proof windows: These are the newest wrinkle in hurricane protection: They look like ordinary windows, but they can withstand hurricane winds. You can be sure of this, because the salesman says so. He lives in Nebraska.

HURRICANE PROOFING YOUR PROPERTY: As the hurricane approaches, check your yard for movable objects like barbecue grills, planters, patio furniture, visiting relatives, etc. You should, as a precaution, throw these items into your swimming pool (if you don't have a swimming pool, you should have one built immediately) . Otherwise, the hurricane winds will turn these objects into deadly missiles.

EVACUATION ROUTE: If you live in a low-lying area, you should have an evacuation route planned. To determine whether you live in a low-lying area, look at your driver license. If it reads 'Texas,' you live in a low-lying area. The purpose of having an evacuation route is to avoid being trapped in your home when a major storm hits. Instead, you will be trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several miles from your home, along with two hundred thousand other evacuees. So, as a bonus, you will not be lonely.

HURRICANE SUPPLIES: If you don't evacuate, you will need a mess of supplies. Do not buy them now! Texas tradition requires that you wait until the last possible minute, then go to the supermarket and get into vicious fights with strangers as to who gets the last can of SPAM. In addition to food and water, you will need the following supplies:

a) Twenty-three (yup, 23) flashlights. At least $167 worth of batteries that, when the power goes off, turn out to be the wrong size. b) Bleach. (No, I don't know what the bleach is for. NOBODY knows what the bleach is for, but it's traditional, so GET some!) c) 55 gallon drum of underarm deodorant. d) A big knife that you can strap to your leg. (This will be useless in a hurricane, but it looks cool.) e) $35,000 in cash or diamonds so that, after the hurricane passes, you can buy a generator from a man with no discernible teeth.

Of course these are just basic precautions. As the hurricane draws near, it is vitally important that you keep abreast of the situation by turning on your television and watching TV reporters in rain slickers standing right next to the Gulf of Mexico, telling you over and over how vitally important it is for everybody to stay away from the water.

Good luck! And remember, it's great living in Paradise.

However up here we do have :cold: :froze: :cold: winter (some years). :grrr:
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby MGC » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:00 pm

My attitude: Oh &*%! not again!

I never want to be in another since Katrina. You can have mine if you please.....MGC
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”