Most retired letter?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
GSBHurricane
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: Most retired letter?

#61 Postby GSBHurricane » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:44 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:If the naming rules have been kept through reanalysis (only through 1960):

* Names retired: Bertha, Brenda, Connie, Ethel, Florence, Hazel, Hilda, Janet, Kristy, Norma (Janet for the same storm, Connie and Hazel for different storms than actual)

* Names that would still be available for circulation as of 1961 (pending reanalysis of later decades): Audrey, Carol, Diane, Donna, Edna, Gracie, Ione

From 1911 to 1960, the number of retirements by letter:
A - 4
B - 9
C - 4
D - 7
E - 4
F - 7
G - 3
H - 4
I - 3
J - 4
K - 3
L - 0
M - 1
N - 3
O to W - 0 each

Also, Carla would still have been Carla and Hattie would have been Inga. Oh and Flora would be Helena. If these are any indication.

https://ams.confex.com/ams/33HURRICANE/ ... ord=852779

https://digitalcommons.fiu.edu/cgi/view ... ontext=etd
0 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#62 Postby GSBHurricane » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:35 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:If the naming rules have been kept through reanalysis (only through 1960):

* Names retired: Bertha, Brenda, Connie, Ethel, Florence, Hazel, Hilda, Janet, Kristy, Norma (Janet for the same storm, Connie and Hazel for different storms than actual)

* Names that would still be available for circulation as of 1961 (pending reanalysis of later decades): Audrey, Carol, Diane, Donna, Edna, Gracie, Ione

From 1911 to 1960, the number of retirements by letter:
A - 4
B - 9
C - 4
D - 7
E - 4
F - 7
G - 3
H - 4
I - 3
J - 4
K - 3
L - 0
M - 1
N - 3
O to W - 0 each

Update to 1963:

Names retired: Bertha, Brenda, Carla, Connie, Ethel, Florence, Hazel, Helena, Hilda, Inga, Janet, Kristy, Norma (Carla and Janet for the same storms, Connie and Hazel for different storms than actual)

* Names that would still be available for circulation as of 1964 (pending reanalysis of later decades): Audrey, Carol, Diane, Donna, Edna, Flora, Gracie, Hattie, Ione

From 1911 to 1963, the number of retirements by letter:
A - 4
B - 9
C - 5
D - 7
E - 4
F - 7
G - 3
H - 5
I - 4
J - 4
K - 3
L - 0
M - 1
N - 3
O to W - 0 each

Source document: http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/Landsea/Sa ... Thesis.pdf
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#63 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:02 am

The letters F, C and I are now all very close in the amount of retired names. With Florence gone, F now has 9 retired names. C is still at 9 and I is at 11
0 likes   
I'm wide awake

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”