2014 EPAC Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: 2014 EPAC Season

#961 Postby tolakram » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Family Photo

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#962 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:01 am

Someone posted this in the WPAC thread, so ill post it here as well

0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#963 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:22 am

Last year's EPAC thread had 17 pages only; THIS year has already 49 pages and it is still the peak of the season! AMAZING
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#964 Postby mrbagyo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:26 am

0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#965 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:58 am

GFS off and on about showing stuff long-range.
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#966 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:50 am

The EPAC has been amazing this season. Which is why we have gotten to 49 pages. It's actually the best EPAC season we've gotten in over a decade.
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#967 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:56 am

HurricaneRyan wrote:The EPAC has been amazing this season. Which is why we have gotten to 49 pages. It's actually the best EPAC season we've gotten in over a decade.

Since 1997 or 1992 probs. Best season I've tracked so far.
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#968 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:56 am

Btw Andrew92 said Marie would be a big one. In terms of intensity, he was right!
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#969 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:57 am

HurricaneRyan wrote:Btw Andrew92 said Marie would be a big one. In terms of intensity, he was right!

I think we all knew it. Models were blowing it up weeks in advance.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#970 Postby cycloneye » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:58 am

Yellow Even,is there anything new that may form in the next two weeks?
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#971 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:20 am

cycloneye wrote:Yellow Even,is there anything new that may form in the next two weeks?

Nothing major yet. GFS for a while is trying to close stuff off. It'll depend on the ATL like it always does in September. Area with lowest shear interestingly enough is off the west coast of Baja. We still have a 30-32C warm pool that Marie tapped the western part of.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#972 Postby somethingfunny » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:09 pm

Is Marie likely to upwell that region?
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#973 Postby Ntxw » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:58 pm

Marie becomes Category 5, first since Celia and strongest since Rick in the Whem (info check?) Just fitting for a season like this.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#974 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Ntxw wrote:Marie becomes Category 5, first since Celia and strongest since Rick in the Whem (info check?) Just fitting for a season like this.

Yes. Strongest since Rick 09 in WHEM. The season has had everything.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#975 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:56 pm

somethingfunny wrote:Is Marie likely to upwell that region?

Yes, but these waters generally recover and should in time for the second half of September.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#976 Postby Ntxw » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:46 pm

SST's isn't going to be a problem this year in the EPAC running well above normal. Even after upwelling it will recover quickly like Yellow Evan mentioned. Just need the seeds to spawn, lets see what can survive the west track from Atlantic. Waters along the western Mexican coast is ripe. We certainly don't wish a Kenna type scenario but potential can be had, especially later into Sept and Oct. No reason to believe it won't.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Re:

#977 Postby somethingfunny » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:50 pm

Ntxw wrote:SST's isn't going to be a problem this year in the EPAC running well above normal. Even after upwelling it will recover quickly like Yellow Evan mentioned. Just need the seeds to spawn, lets see what can survive the west track from Atlantic. Waters along the western Mexican coast is ripe. We certainly don't wish a Kenna type scenario but potential can be had, especially later into Sept and Oct. No reason to believe it won't.

Even if there is a quiet period following Marie (far from certain) I would actually be surprised if Marie ends up being the only Category 5 in the EPAC this year.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Re:

#978 Postby Ntxw » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:03 pm

somethingfunny wrote:Even if there is a quiet period following Marie (far from certain) I would actually be surprised if Marie ends up being the only Category 5 in the EPAC this year.

EPAC is still benefiting from strong CCKW that will last about another week. Then the suppressed phase will arrive from the WPAC and probably nudge things down though it's forecasted to be most unfavorable over in the Atlantic than EPAC. So rogue development in the EPAC can't be ruled out. I would be surprised if Marie was the only as well, though one wouldn't say another is expected. Greater than normal chance of more majors and cat 4's probably a sure bet.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#979 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:21 pm

Ntxw wrote:SST's isn't going to be a problem this year in the EPAC running well above normal. Even after upwelling it will recover quickly like Yellow Evan mentioned. Just need the seeds to spawn, lets see what can survive the west track from Atlantic. Waters along the western Mexican coast is ripe. We certainly don't wish a Kenna type scenario but potential can be had, especially later into Sept and Oct. No reason to believe it won't.

Agreed something like Kenna/59 MX is possible as we get towards the later half of the season. SST's look like the Philippines prior to Haiyan out there. Marie just tapped the W end of it.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#980 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Here's a graph that someone posted on another forum

Warmest EPAC SST's on record since 1959.

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”