Expert forecasts for 2014 N Atl Hurricane season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert forecasts: CSU is up at first post (10/4/1)

#241 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:34 am

Dr Jeff Masters discusses about the latest CSU forecast.

Colorado State predicts a below-average hurricane season: 10 named storms
A below-average Atlantic hurricane season is on tap for 2014, according to the June 2 seasonal hurricane forecast by Dr. Phil Klotzbach and Dr. Bill Gray of Colorado State University (CSU). The CSU team is calling for 10 named storms, 4 hurricanes, and 1 intense hurricane, and an Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) of 65, about 2/3 of average. The forecast calls for a below-average chance of a major hurricane hitting the U.S., both along the East Coast (22% chance, 31% chance is average) and the Gulf Coast (23% chance, 30% chance is average). The risk of a major hurricane in the Caribbean is also below average, at 32% (42% is average.)

CSU's Analogue years: 2009, 2002, 1997, 1965, and 1957
The CSU team picked five previous years when atmospheric and oceanic conditions were similar to what they expect for this year: at least moderate El Niño conditions, neutral to slightly cool sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic, and a positive phase of the Atlantic Multi-decadal Oscillation (AMO). Those five years were 2009, a quiet year with 9 named storms, 3 hurricanes, and 2 major hurricanes; 2002, which featured two major hurricanes that got their names retired: Lili and Isidore; 1997, a quiet year with only 8 named storms and 3 hurricanes; 1963, with 9 named storms and 7 hurricanes, including Cuba's deadliest hurricane of all-time: Hurricane Flora (8,000 killed); and 1957, a below-average year with 8 named storms and 2 major hurricanes, including June's deadly Hurricane Audrey, which was re-analyzed as a Category 3 storm this year. The average activity during these five analogue years was 9 named storms, 4 hurricanes, and 2 major hurricanes. The CSU team will issue an updated forecast on July 31, 2014.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#242 Postby ninel conde » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:32 am

im surprised they didnt go much lower.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#243 Postby Blown Away » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:40 am

CSU June Update Analog Years Map: 1957, 1963, 1997, 2002, 2009
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re:

#244 Postby wxman57 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:40 am

ninel conde wrote:im surprised they didnt go much lower.

Nothing indicates a totally dead season, just below normal. Increasing the number from 9 to 10 is due primarily to a new set of analog years and the lesser strength of the predicted El Nino.
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#245 Postby PTrackerLA » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:45 am

The CSU analog season's track map tells me that the northern gulf coast needs to be on their toes this season. Interesting.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#246 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:48 am

Why do I have the gut feeling this is going to be a really nasty year?

Maybe not in numbers of storms, but in their effects?
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#247 Postby NDG » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Blown Away wrote:CSU June Update Analog Years Map: 1957, 1963, 1997, 2002, 2009
http://i62.tinypic.com/2q3ogmf.jpg

So if we were to average the analog years out literally, South FL would have another quiet hurricane season, but we know it only takes one time.
0 likes   

Steve820
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#248 Postby Steve820 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:55 pm

There might be an El Nino and a potentially inactive Atlantic season this year, but there's still an outside possibility of a major hurricane striking the US. I have a slight gut feeling it'll happen. If the analog years were to repeat this year than the Gulf Coast might need to watch out this season!
0 likes   
Hurricanes are an amazing natural phenomena. While many are spiraling pits of evil that kill people or cause devastation, some are tame and stay clear of land.

I wish for you to :Bcool:

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#249 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:08 pm

NDG wrote:
Blown Away wrote:CSU June Update Analog Years Map: 1957, 1963, 1997, 2002, 2009
http://i62.tinypic.com/2q3ogmf.jpg

So if we were to average the analog years out literally, South FL would have another quiet hurricane season, but we know it only takes one time.

IMO 2006 should be on that list. I also wish CSU would make their forecasts just like NOAA does and set a range rather than any old number, after the big bust they made last year and 2012 I would of tried and another method for this season at least to see how well they do this year. :roll:

Also according to Jim Williams from Hurricanecity S.FL and coastal Texas are what he seems to really be concerned about this year especially after the record streak of no hurricanes Florida is currently in.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert forecasts:TSR June 5 forecast up (See first post)

#250 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:38 pm

TSR June forecast is up at first post. (12/5/2)
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#251 Postby ninel conde » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:36 am

I think the key to alot forecast nums is early season development. if we go thru june/july with nothing then it will be a very skimpy season.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

HurrMark
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Expert forecasts for 2014 N Atl Hurr season (See first post)

#252 Postby HurrMark » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:36 am

Not necessarily - 1997 had four storms and a subtropical storm by mid-July, but then three storms for the rest of the year. The very next year, 1998, Alex didn't form until the end of July, and Bonnie close to late August, but we had a fairly active season. Historically, there really isn't a correlation between early activity and what happens thereafter (although that is an old statistic, and I am not sure if that has been revisited in the last 10-15 years).
0 likes   

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#253 Postby ninel conde » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:30 am

well, this isnt 1998. i am quite confident that aug/sept will have the most unfavorable conditions of the season. if we go into aug at 0/0/0 or 1/0/0 then we may have an historically dead season.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#254 Postby SFLcane » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:29 am

ninel conde wrote:well, this isnt 1998. i am quite confident that aug/sept will have the most unfavorable conditions of the season. if we go into aug at 0/0/0 or 1/0/0 then we may have an historically dead season.

Come on! What conditions are present the 2nd week of august is anybodys guess. All you need is a small window of favorable conditions and it can be a very bad yr for someone. These seasonal outlooks last few yrs have been total garbage.
0 likes   

Dave C
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Middleboro, Mass.(midway between Cape Cod and Boston)

#255 Postby Dave C » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:08 pm

Remember hurricane Andrew, It takes just one to slip through to make a bad season. It almost was sheared apart and just as it reached Florida another stong upper low dove south right behind it. It had a smaall window of oportunity and took advantage of it.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#256 Postby wxman57 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:50 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:IMO 2006 should be on that list. I also wish CSU would make their forecasts just like NOAA does and set a range rather than any old number, after the big bust they made last year and 2012 I would of tried and another method for this season at least to see how well they do this year. :roll:

Also according to Jim Williams from Hurricanecity S.FL and coastal Texas are what he seems to really be concerned about this year especially after the record streak of no hurricanes Florida is currently in.

Got an email from Phil Klotzbach last evening listing the best analog years and "anti-analog" years for 2014. The 2006 season was identified as an anti-analog, ranking 62nd out of 66 seasons in terms of similar conditions to those we're observing now. I don't think he'd mind me saying that 2009 came out to be the top analog, with 1957 right behind it. We had already identified 1957 as one of the top analogs. Very inactive season but quite a significant hurricane hit (Cat 3 Audrey into SW LA).
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#257 Postby chaser1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:20 pm

ninel conde wrote:I think the key to alot forecast nums is early season development. if we go thru june/july with nothing then it will be a very skimpy season.

[color=#4040FF]I found your original statement to be wrong, but you later qualified your statement by adding your assumption that August & September may have less favorable conditions this year. While it tremendously pains me to agree with you, that general point does make sense. That is not to say that I don't believe that there will be a few windows of opportunity for tropical development to occur, I certainly would bet against a season having only 2-3 named storms.

Even if there were only a few named storms, I think you have to appreciate the potential risk that can occur with just one landfall - even a landfall far LESS intense than Andrew. Assume for the moment this this season might have only one named storm, perhaps just under hurricane threshold, and depending on where it hits, the speed of forward motion, and many other factors the result might still be many dead from mudslides, severe beach erosion and loss to commerce, possibly cause a large ship to breach with thousands of gallons of crude or other chemicals to spill into our rivers or ocean, wind damage caused by tornadoes well removed from the center of the storm or straight line wind that could still badly damage cars, mobile homes, houses due to fallen trees or electric lines or even people hit by flying debris. I am a severe weather enthusiast and enjoy active seasons. I'll be the first to agree that an inactive season with only a couple weak storms is unlikely to cause much noteworthy interest. Typically most here who might agree that this will be a slow season, are not necessarily flippant in their assessment that this will be a "dead year" or that there is nothing to worry about. Yes, respect the science that may support a hypothesis... but also appreciate & understand the reverence by those who in light of the obvious, are keenly aware & have witnessed Mother Nature's capacity to throw a curve ball when no one ever saw it coming.

I may not pull out my video camera and drive 100 miles, just to simply witness 4"-6" or rain and sustained 50 mile an hour winds. That doesn't diminish the fear some old folks might have while shaking in their boots because they can't afford homeowners insurance and are scared that they might finally lose their roof, or others worried about losing their jobs due to their older cars potentially not starting again after being submerged for hours. Any numeric prediction is either going to be considered correct or wrong, yet the respect for having made it is likely derived out of both the science that backed the conclusion as well as the manner & humility in which the observation was communicated.

Having said all that, i'll assume that site moderators might prefer that this thread - Expert Forecasts for 2014 N. Atlantic Hurricane Season, be returned to its applicable "Expert" content (which by the way, is a thread that neither of us essentially qualify to post or forecast in).
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#258 Postby gatorcane » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:36 pm

Seeing what happened last year with the busted forecast should remind and caution us about making any definitive predictions now about the outcome of this hurricane season.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert forecasts for 2014 N Atl Hurr season (See first post)

#259 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:27 am

ECMWF continues to forecast in the Mid-June update for ASO very high pressures in the Atlantic basin. If this forecast verifies,then the season will look like 2013 or less active than that year.

http://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/chart ... pe=tercile summary&area=South America&public_date=201406&lead_time=2 months
0 likes   

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#260 Postby ninel conde » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:40 am

dry times ahead for the caribbean.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”