What storms are gonna be the big ones for 2014?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#21 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:06 pm

CaliforniaResident wrote:
Andrew92 wrote:Leaning Marie as the one that affects SoCal and/or Arizona, with Rachel going further south at this time.

-Andrew92

http://www.rhughes.com/could-a-hurrican ... alifornia/

Imagine a hurricane hitting a city that declare "stormwatch emergency" when a quarter of an inch of rain is forecast to fall (no exaggeration). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBlDU8e7om0 The homes here in Southern California are are build to withstand quakes and NOT rain or wind. What would happen if Linda in 1997 had made landfall in downtown L.A? What if Marie makes a beeline for L.A. or San Diego? Would the amount of damage and destruction by far worse than a similar size hurricane would cause on the East Coast due to the way the construction is here? Might sustained winds of 80 mph cause more damage in L.A. than an 8.0 earthquake?

I know it's better to be safe than sorry, and you're looking out for your fellow Californian's, but it has been 22 years since a Hurricane struck Hawaii... This just shows how unfavorable conditions are in some parts of the Pacific. So it'll be very tough for a hurricane to reach California.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#22 Postby Yellow Evan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:10 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
CaliforniaResident wrote:
Andrew92 wrote:Leaning Marie as the one that affects SoCal and/or Arizona, with Rachel going further south at this time.

-Andrew92

http://www.rhughes.com/could-a-hurrican ... alifornia/

Imagine a hurricane hitting a city that declare "stormwatch emergency" when a quarter of an inch of rain is forecast to fall (no exaggeration). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBlDU8e7om0 The homes here in Southern California are are build to withstand quakes and NOT rain or wind. What would happen if Linda in 1997 had made landfall in downtown L.A? What if Marie makes a beeline for L.A. or San Diego? Would the amount of damage and destruction by far worse than a similar size hurricane would cause on the East Coast due to the way the construction is here? Might sustained winds of 80 mph cause more damage in L.A. than an 8.0 earthquake?

I know it's better to be safe than sorry, and you're looking out for your fellow Californian's, but it has been 22 years since a Hurricane struck Hawaii... This just shows how unfavorable conditions are in some parts of the Pacific. So it'll be very tough for a hurricane to reach California.

It happened in 1858, but very little is known about it.

I'd bet against an actual landfalling hurricane in CA.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#23 Postby Ntxw » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:30 pm

I don't know much about SoCal but I would think it would be able to handle winds like that. Those speeds cause damage anywhere but the swaying isn't all that different than an earthquake I would think (again I'm not certified for this kind of info just a guess!). Doesn't the Santa Ana winds sometimes get really high too? I would think the biggest impact for this area would be flash flooding and landslides especially if it's a slow moving TC or remnants.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Andrew92
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby Andrew92 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:31 pm

I agree, Marie will not be a hurricane that far north. But I am going with a scenario where it strikes northern Baja California and produces heavy flooding in California and/or Arizona, which does happen once in a while, especially in an El Nino year.

-Andrew92
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Hammy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:16 pm

I'll throw my two cents in here. Given the last two major El Nino's (1997 and 2009) having at least one intense long-tracker, I'll go with Dolly as the big one of the year, forming late August and becoming a major in early September, brushing the northern Antilles,and going out to sea.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#26 Postby Yellow Evan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:34 pm

I echo that winds won't be that big of an issue in a CA landfalling hurricane. The worst case IMO is when a slow moving TS hits BCP, and it's moisture is enhanced by a trough (like Octave 83 or Norma 70). The main killer with EPAC storms in general is flooding.

As for names, Odile and Norbert strike me, as well as Hernan and Elida.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#27 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:42 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:I echo that winds won't be that big of an issue in a CA landfalling hurricane. The worst case IMO is when a slow moving TS hits BCP, and it's moisture is enhanced by a trough (like Octave 83 or Norma 70). The main killer with EPAC storms in general is flooding.

As for names, Odile and Norbert strike me, as well as Hernan and Elida.

Ditto. And the storms don't have to strong at all to make strong, serious impacts.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

CaliforniaResident
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: What storms are gonna be the big ones for 2014?

#28 Postby CaliforniaResident » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:47 am

As of now, I'd say Iselle is going to be the biggest event of this season.
0 likes   

Steve820
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#29 Postby Steve820 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:13 pm

For me, the big ones for 2014 will be:

Atlantic:

*Dolly strengthens to a major hurricane in early September and makes a landfall in the Gulf Coast, causing damage rivaling that of Gustav and Ike.

*Gonzalo, an October major, will rapidly strengthen to possibly Category 5 status and cause incredible destruction in Central America, similar to Mitch in 1998.

East Pacific:

*Iselle, a currently active storm which already reached C4 intensity, would cause plenty of impacts in Hawaii.

*Lowell will be a long-lasting Category 4 during late August, and it will make landfall on the Baja California tip as a Category 2 around September 3.

*Marie will strengthen to Category 2 status before moving rapidly northward to strike Southern California as a TD.

*Rachel will rapidly strengthen to become a strong Category 5 with winds of around 185 mph, and it will become one of the strongest EPac storms on record.

These are just my predictions and are not meant to be taken seriously. If these predictions actually came true I'll be surprised :P
0 likes   
Hurricanes are an amazing natural phenomena. While many are spiraling pits of evil that kill people or cause devastation, some are tame and stay clear of land.

I wish for you to :Bcool:

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#30 Postby somethingfunny » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:27 pm

CaliforniaResident wrote:As of now, I'd say Iselle is going to be the biggest event of this season.

If we're going outside of the Atlantic, Supertyphoon Rammasun was pretty intense. :)
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby chaser1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:41 pm

Hands down, my guess would be Dolly! Don't know why, just sounds like a big one!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#32 Postby CFLHurricane » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:06 pm

chaser1 wrote:Hands down, my guess would be Dolly! Don't know why, just sounds like a big one!

Actually I believe the correct answer is none, because SAL. :roll:
0 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:00 am

:uarrow: Arthur, that was the big one this season IMO.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby hurricanes1234 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:04 am

hurricanes1234 wrote:This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and is NOT backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Based on my amateur opinion (see disclaimer in red):
ATL: Really can't say! :lol:
EPAC: Fausto - First major hurricane and probably a Category 3 hurricane.
Marie - Second major hurricane and also a Category 3 hurricane.

I'd let you know when more realistic ideas come into my head! :D

The part with Fausto being the first major hurricane was very, VERY incorrect!
:lol: :P :ggreen: :D
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

CYCLONE MIKE
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#35 Postby CYCLONE MIKE » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:28 am

TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: Arthur, that was the big one this season IMO.

Going to agree and say this as well. There very well might be another cat 2 or short lived weak cat 3 that will harmlessly go out to sea but think as far as big landfall storms go Arthur was it.
0 likes   

CaliforniaResident
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#36 Postby CaliforniaResident » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:39 pm

My predictions revised:

We already had Arthur but it will remain the strongest landfall of the season.
Dolly will make landfall in Florida on September 15 as a cat 1.
Fay will make landfall in Louisiana on October 3 also as a cat 1.

The biggest shocker will be that Rachel will make landfall in Southern California on September 28 as a low end TS.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”