Hurricane Nora

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Andrew92
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Hurricane Nora

#1 Postby Andrew92 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:10 am

Little bit of a flashback....

With this shaping up to be potentially a super El Nino, it might be worth a reminder that storms can still produce significant impacts in the western states. Nora in 1997 was a prime example, dumping a foot of rain an hour or so from the Phoenix area in Arizona, and three inches in many nearby areas.

I was not living in Arizona at that time, and so I wonder....did anyone on this board experience that storm? If so, what was it really like, and if such an event were to occur, what can I expect if it reaches my area? I have occasionally seen passing showers from some dying storms, but nothing like what Nora must have produced.

-Andrew92
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby Alyono » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:34 pm

not as uncommon as one may think

the same ay that Andrew struck Florida, Lester was a TS in Arizona
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby Yellow Evan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Until last year, SW Us impacts seemed to be a downward trend. (There were a fair number of articles in the late 70's and 80's and a few in the 90's). Yet, sicne Nora, there hasn't been much of the way of SW US impact.

I was not in Nora 97 (though I know a few ppl that were); however, the few storm's remnants I've been trough here in NV have been minor and just an average rain storm more or less (Ivo/Juliette 13, Julio 08, John 06), with the worst IMO being Javier 04.

While I think Nora 97 is slightly overrated, and it's not the not worst SW US storm. (the worst was Octave 83, which was also in the super El Nino of 82-83. A repeat of that today would likely be on the scale similar to the Colorado flooding last September.) With that said, Nora 97 was no joke and is likely something I've never truly seen in person.

I hope this does not happen though, but I think we'll see something of Nora caliber this year. That or something hitting Hawaii.

Gonna be a interesting hurricane season.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

Andrew92
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Andrew92 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback both of you. It may not be uncommon, but I moved to Arizona from Michigan in late 2007 and have occasionally seen some passing showers from a couple dying storms, but never anything significant. Jimena came closest of this bunch in 2009, which was also a weaker El Nino year. I remember being at a football game when we got some rain showers from that storm's remnants but nothing more. It was just this morning that Nora crossed my mind as I reminded myself about a possible super El Nino event this year, as I vaguely remember that storm a little in that it made it into the state with some rather spectacular effects during a similar super El Nino. I'm not at all familiar with what Octave did as I wasn't yet born and don't know much about EPAC systems before my time, but I don't doubt its effects as that was a strong El Nino too. Plus, it's still good to have a little insight so I know what to expect if a storm like Octave or Nora arrives.

I deal with summer monsoons and duststorms every year, some of which cause the sky to become quite a stage. I remember one really awesome monsoon back in 2008 that became a natural fireworks show, but with it came very strong winds that knocked out some power lines near where I was working at the time. The area around my house sustained no damage that I was ever aware of though, and in general I really enjoy these more typical storms. But I've never seen anything like what Octave or Nora did to the state.

Maybe I'm freaking out just a little bit since it is only April, but I still want to at least think of how to prepare if something happens. This year seems like it could be a good bet that it might, though there is of course no guarantee.

-Andrew92
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#5 Postby Yellow Evan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:23 am

Andrew92 wrote:Thanks for the feedback both of you. It may not be uncommon, but I moved to Arizona from Michigan in late 2007 and have occasionally seen some passing showers from a couple dying storms, but never anything significant. Jimena came closest of this bunch in 2009, which was also a weaker El Nino year. I remember being at a football game when we got some rain showers from that storm's remnants but nothing more. It was just this morning that Nora crossed my mind as I reminded myself about a possible super El Nino event this year, as I vaguely remember that storm a little in that it made it into the state with some rather spectacular effects during a similar super El Nino. I'm not at all familiar with what Octave did as I wasn't yet born and don't know much about EPAC systems before my time, but I don't doubt its effects as that was a strong El Nino too. Plus, it's still good to have a little insight so I know what to expect if a storm like Octave or Nora arrives.

I deal with summer monsoons and duststorms every year, some of which cause the sky to become quite a stage. I remember one really awesome monsoon back in 2008 that became a natural fireworks show, but with it came very strong winds that knocked out some power lines near where I was working at the time. The area around my house sustained no damage that I was ever aware of though, and in general I really enjoy these more typical storms. But I've never seen anything like what Octave or Nora did to the state.

Maybe I'm freaking out just a little bit since it is only April, but I still want to at least think of how to prepare if something happens. This year seems like it could be a good bet that it might, though there is of course no guarantee.

-Andrew92

Octave 83 was weird. It was a TS off the west coast of BCP and get its moisture pulled up from a trough (I was not born when Octave happened, I wrote it wiki article). As for Nora 97, it was a weak TS pretty much. Brought a bitr of rain, but damage was nowhere as extreme as Octave, where there was significant flooding for days and days. Still, unless you live in a flood prone area, I would not get too worried. It's early April, we are 5 weeks away from the hurricane season, and barring some early season surprise, likely 4-5 months away from any major threat.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#6 Postby HurricaneRyan » Mon May 05, 2014 11:48 am

Do you think we might have an EPAC storm that could cause enough damage in the Western states to get its name retired this year?
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

Andrew92
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#7 Postby Andrew92 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:59 pm

HurricaneRyan wrote:Do you think we might have an EPAC storm that could cause enough damage in the Western states to get its name retired this year?

We really have to take it one day at a time right now. It is certainly possible, and once in a while a storm from the EPAC comes along, usually in an El Nino year, and causes enough damage to get its name retired. But, someone correct me if I'm wrong as my knowledge on the EPAC is very lacking, I don't believe that's ever been the case where a storm from the EPAC has caused enough damage in the Western States to get retired. They usually just cause that kind of major death, destruction, and disaster in Mexico, Central America, or in very rare cases Hawaii, if I'm not mistaken.

-Andrew92
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Most likely, a destructive storm in the SW CONUS would be a late season storm, since a trough would probably have to pick it up. But if there is any year in this generation that it could happen, IMO 2014 is it.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#9 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun May 18, 2014 5:31 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Most likely, a destructive storm in the SW CONUS would be a late season storm, since a trough would probably have to pick it up. But if there is any year in this generation that it could happen, IMO 2014 is it.

Agreed. IMO i'd likely have to have moisture brought over via a trough and/or make landfall in BCN first as a hurricane. I think we'll see either a Hawaii or SW US threat this season. The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”