How will SAL affect this year's season?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

How will SAL affect this year's season?

#1 Postby CFLHurricane » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:14 am

Will dry air from the Sahara be a problem this year?
:?:
0 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby hurricanes1234 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:35 pm

This is a good question. Yes, to a point, I think dry air might slightly inhibit activity like with some seasons, but not as much as last year, that was anomalous. I think the main inhibition would be the possible El Niño.
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Have to see how the NAO turns out--if it's positive, the stronger ridge will direct more SAL off Africa. If it's negative, we won't see as much dust emerge into the Atlantic. The IOD looks like it will be negative this year (as it has been for a larger part of the past few years), which is good--we should see stronger waves and a wetter Sahel overall (less dust).
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Cyclenall » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:48 pm

The main inhibition I think will be how stable the airmass across the Atlantic basin will be, as always. A super El Nino will be the ultimate snuffing on an already lousy setup. Yes you can tell I have no hope for this upcoming season :roll: .
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

Re: How will SAL affect this year's season?

#5 Postby Frank2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:09 pm

Good explanation of SAL in today's MIA WSFO discussion:

PREV DISCUSSION... /ISSUED 327 AM EDT FRI JUL 11 2014/

DISCUSSION...

DRY AIR ASSOCIATED WITH SUBSIDENCE AROUND THE EDGE OF THE ATLANTIC
MID LEVEL RIDGE IS MOVING WESTWARD ACROSS SOUTH FLORIDA ON FRIDAY.
IT IS DURING THE MID MORNING HOURS AND EARLY AFTERNOON OF FRIDAY
WHEN THE DRIEST AIR IS EXPECTED TO AFFECT THE AREA. IN ADDITION, BUT
NOT DIRECTLY ASSOCIATED TO THIS MID LEVEL DRYING, THERE IS SOME
SAHARAN AIR AT THE LOW LEVELS THAT BEGAN TO BE PRESENT IN SOUTH
FLORIDA THURSDAY MORNING. THIS SAHARAN AIRMASS IS WELL MIXED SINCE
ITS ORIGIN FROM AFRICA AND HAS A HIGH CONTENT OF MOISTURE DUE TO ITS
PASSAGE THROUGH THE ATLANTIC OCEAN. THEREFORE, ITS EFFECT ON THE
REDUCTION OF THE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY IS LESS. SAL CAN BE NOTED
IN THE 00Z SOUNDING FROM JUL 11 AS A VERY SLIGHT DRYING AROUND 2
KM. THE MODEL SOUNDINGS ALSO SHOW THIS SLIGHT DRYING BELOW 700 MB.
THE SAHARAN AIRMASSES THAT HAVE THE GREATEST EFFECT REDUCING
THUNDERSTORMS IN SOUTH FLORIDA ARE THOSE THAT MAKE A RAPID TRANSIT
THROUGH THE ATLANTIC ESPECIALLY DUE TO A FAST EXPANSION OR
WESTWARD DISPLACEMENT OF THE AZORES HIGH PRESSURE.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#6 Postby Alyono » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:41 pm

TropicalAnalystwx13 wrote:Have to see how the NAO turns out--if it's positive, the stronger ridge will direct more SAL off Africa. If it's negative, we won't see as much dust emerge into the Atlantic. The IOD looks like it will be negative this year (as it has been for a larger part of the past few years), which is good--we should see stronger waves and a wetter Sahel overall (less dust).

It has been pointed out here multiple times by meteorologists that a negative IOD causes WEAKER waves
0 likes   

WPBWeather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#7 Postby WPBWeather » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:15 pm

Cyclenall wrote:The main inhibition I think will be how stable the airmass across the Atlantic basin will be, as always. A super El Nino will be the ultimate snuffing on an already lousy setup. Yes you can tell I have no hope for this upcoming season :roll: .

Maybe you were not serious, but there is no Super El Nino anywhere on any horizon. There is not really even an El Nino in the cards--the predictions (of a Super or even a strong El Nino) from earlier this year have been walked back by most serious weather monitors.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#8 Postby Cyclenall » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:41 pm

WPBWeather wrote:
Cyclenall wrote:The main inhibition I think will be how stable the airmass across the Atlantic basin will be, as always. A super El Nino will be the ultimate snuffing on an already lousy setup. Yes you can tell I have no hope for this upcoming season :roll: .

Maybe you were not serious, but there is no Super El Nino anywhere on any horizon. There is not really even an El Nino in the cards--the predictions (of a Super or even a strong El Nino) from earlier this year have been walked back by most serious weather monitors.

Did you not read the date in which I posted that? That was early April when every sign (except one I think) pointed to a strong El Nino and a decent chance at a super one. Like all things in weather, expect the unexpected and now the unexpected is unfolding for ENSO. My thoughts on the Atlantic season have not changed.
0 likes   

WPBWeather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#9 Postby WPBWeather » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:12 pm

Cyclenall wrote:
WPBWeather wrote:

Did you not read the date in which I posted that? That was early April when every sign (except one I think) pointed to a strong El Nino and a decent chance at a super one. Like all things in weather, expect the unexpected and now the unexpected is unfolding for ENSO. My thoughts on the Atlantic season have not changed.

Yes, I now see the earlier posting date. My mistake. Many hope you are correct about the Atlantic, but no one really knows what will happen. My feeling is that we will see more activity that the earlier projections indicated.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:20 pm

The SAL at the moment is causing the MDR instability to be pretty putrid but as for how it will play out in future months is yet to be determined and the current SAL is quite normal for July
0 likes   

SeGaBob

#11 Postby SeGaBob » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:07 pm

Ask 93L... :D
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#12 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:13 pm

SeGaBob wrote:Ask 93L... :D

To describe it in four words. "2013 All Over Again!"
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby MGC » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:13 pm

At least 93L still has a chance....what about TD2? Dry air is eating everything up....just like my grandkids this week......MGC
0 likes   

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#14 Postby CFLHurricane » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:46 pm

Whelp, looks like uncle SAL is going to steal this season from us, too :(

What will it take to make him go away?!
0 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby NDG » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:53 am

CFLHurricane wrote:Whelp, looks like uncle SAL is going to steal this season from us, too :(

A total collapse of the Atlantic ridge would do it, which will not happen, lol.
All seriously there should be some weakening of the Atlantic ridge which then less SAL gets carried westward across the Atlantic as we head towards the heart of the hurricane season but by the look of things it could stay above average through the rest of the season.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:59 am

NDG wrote:
CFLHurricane wrote:Whelp, looks like uncle SAL is going to steal this season from us, too :(

All seriously there should be some weakening of the Atlantic ridge which then less SAL gets carried westward across the Atlantic as we head towards the heart of the hurricane season but by the look of things it could stay above average through the rest of the season.

At this rate it would take rain in the Saharan desert.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby NDG » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:45 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
NDG wrote:

At this rate it would take rain in the Saharan desert.

Which makes sense, the experts look at the Sub-Saharan area too much which has had above average rainfall for a while to forecast the SAL, it surely has not made a dent in the dust outbreaks. They need to look more at the Saharan areas.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby NDG » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Media is starting to talk about the abundance of the magic dust, from our local fox station:

0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:01 am

:uarrow: Local met's down here in WPB, FL have been talking about the SAL since last season! Why just a few days ago Uncle SAL was making his presence in our skies giving us hazy looking skies and very little afternoon t-storm activity for a few days here in S. FL. We are already in mid-August and SAL is still tracking into are region so you know it must be really bad this year in terms of widespread coverage.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:05 pm

SAL once again makes it's presence in S. FL!(via NWS: Miami Twitter)

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”