Why is the GFS having issues

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
boca
Category 5
Category 5

Why is the GFS having issues

#1 Postby boca » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:56 pm

The GFS has been trying to develop a storm system at day 7 for 2 weeks now.I know the model has been upgraded many times over the year,but why is it being so persistant on this particular phantom storm?
0 likes   

Hurricane Alexis
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Why is the GFS having issues

#2 Postby Hurricane Alexis » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Maybe it's not a phantom storm. :idea:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricane Alexis
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby Hurricane Alexis » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:01 pm

But I do agree that the time keeps going up
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Are you referring to the system that could develop from 94E?
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

Hurricane Alexis
Category 2
Category 2

#5 Postby Hurricane Alexis » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:14 pm

It's the system that the GFS keeps developing in the caribbean that eventually moves to FL or the Bahamas.
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby USTropics » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:17 pm

Jeff Masters briefly wrote about this on one of his blogs a week or two ago. Here is the excerpt:

According to WSI's tropical weather expert Michael Ventrice, who has guest blogged on El Niño in my blog, the GFS likely has insufficient resolution to handle a large tropical low pressure system forecast to set up over Central American late this week. These large low pressure systems often have "spokes" of extra spin that rotate around the main low, and these "spokes" are often erroneously developed into tropical depressions by the GFS model.
0 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby blp » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:24 pm

I commented on this for 90l. This is worst I have ever seen. Even in the years with excessive phantom storms you normally had different solutions such as landfall in Texas one run and then Florida on another run, but this is different.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricane Alexis
Category 2
Category 2

#8 Postby Hurricane Alexis » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:51 pm

The FIM has been very consistent as well. Same time frame too.
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#9 Postby USTropics » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:06 pm

Hurricane Alexis wrote:The FIM has been very consistent as well. Same time frame too.

The FIM has similar data input as the GFS model. It's slated to be the eventual successor to the GFS model.

The FIM is being developed as a candidate to eventually supplant the Global Forecast System, the United States's current medium-range forecast model. The FIM was originally slated to become operational some time in 2014 (as of spring 2014 the model is still testing); the GFS will continue to be run and maintained for several years afterward, much in the same way the GFS and its predecessor, the Nested Grid Model, ran concurrently for several years. The model currently produces similar results to the GFS, but runs slower on the NWS's operational computers.
0 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby stormlover2013 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:49 pm

Yeah the gfs did pretty bad but models make mistakes, I mean the gfs model is like tony romo has some good days but more bad days lol
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby boca » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:06 pm

I don't usually make a comment about the models but the soluation and track has been consistent for at least 10 days but the error on the model is that it stays at 144 hours each day.
0 likes   

djones65
Category 1
Category 1

#12 Postby djones65 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:06 am

I personally believe you guys are putting way too much weight on the details of the model runs! I mean the models are designed to " model" weather conditions up to 16 days into the future! Are you expecting them to be "exact!" the best one can expect is to see a trend or a broad pattern within the time frame. Personally, I believe the GFS has been exceptional thus far! It identified "Boris," and 90L possibly Arthur or TD One well within its frame of modeling. Personally, the GFS has been AWSOME! I am not sure what else you can possibly expect???!!!
0 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby stormlover2013 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:10 am

The euro has been exceptional but the gfs lol no way
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby NDG » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:55 am

stormlover2013 wrote:The euro has been exceptional but the gfs lol no way

The Euro has not been that great either, don't forget about its run a few days ago that it forecasted a tropical storm to affect the central gulf coast next Friday.
Personally, I have not been impressed with both models at all at their medium & long range forecasts, both of them have been on both sides of the spectrum making a hard decision for forecasters on which model to go with.

0 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby stormlover2013 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Lol that was one run dude, gfs has been saying for 3 weeks something was going to develop, euro rules like always
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#16 Postby tolakram » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:11 pm

stormlover2013 wrote:Lol that was one run dude, gfs has been saying for 3 weeks something was going to develop, euro rules like always

This thread is asking the question ... why is the GFS having issues? If this devolves into yet another model war thread it will have to be locked, so let's all try and make sure that doesn't happen. :)
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#17 Postby Alyono » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:41 pm

was hearing at the office that its having issues every time a trough drops across the US
0 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby stormlover2013 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:37 pm

@TropicalTidbits: Can't assume 7 days in advance that the GFS is wrong either, but compared with a 7-day projection from, say, the ECMWF, it's low-probability

@TropicalTidbits: @RyanMaue I wish I had boycotted the GFS for 3 days during that period like you did. Painful.

@TropicalTidbits: Classic GFS issue in tropics: "Lets crank a TC at entrance region of any kinked jetstreak in sight because I'm bored" http://t.co/fY1S05HINc

@TropicalTidbits: GFS west Caribbean TC next weekend looks like erroneous feedback. Very dubious forecast with no other model support. http://t.co/tNoLNwjf95
0 likes   

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:17 pm

Well if anything. The GFS will keep us on are toes in the future, future, future on each run this season. :lol:
Last edited by HURRICANELONNY on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
hurricanelonny

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby boca » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:07 pm

Florida has been in the GFS future for about two weeks now,I find it comical.I read a post that said the the GFS is having issues with troughs in the east which is causing the model to spin up lows in ther tropics in the NW Caribbean Sea.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”