GFDL & HWRF Model Upgrades

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
blp
Category 5
Category 5

GFDL & HWRF Model Upgrades

#1 Postby blp » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:49 am

I read a very good article today by Dr. Masters about the recent upgrades to HWRF and GFDL. It surprised me to see such improvement year to year. I was one that did not hold those models in high regard but I might need to reconsider for the future.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2724
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: GFDL & HWRF Model Upgrades

#2 Postby tolakram » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:58 am

I wonder why the euro was left off the Arthur graphs?

It's exciting that can make runs on older data to see how it performs, and I really hope both of these do better in the future, but we've had so little opportunities in the last year to see how these are performing that I can't help but be a bit pessimistic.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby Alyono » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:08 am

tolakram wrote:I wonder why the euro was left off the Arthur graphs?

It's exciting that can make runs on older data to see how it performs, and I really hope both of these do better in the future, but we've had so little opportunities in the last year to see how these are performing that I can't help but be a bit pessimistic.

wonder if he does not have access to the full ECMWF including the vortex tracker
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby NDG » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:20 am

tolakram wrote:I wonder why the euro was left off the Arthur graphs?

The article is about the improvements of GFDL & HWRF, not about which model did the best among all.
Which by the way, I agree that the HWRF did much better with Arthur than the last few years, it still needs to get better though but at least is not horrible, lol.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:44 am

HWRF predicted the EPac hurricanes/TS's and Hurricane Arthur excellently, yeah, and I noticed there has been an improvement for the past year or so. So yeah, no wonder that the model just had an upgrade.
Last edited by xtyphooncyclonex on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#6 Postby tolakram » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:01 am

NDG wrote:The article is about the improvements of GFDL & HWRF, not about which model did the best among all.
Which by the way, I agree that the HWRF did much better with Arthur than the last few years, it still needs to get better though but at least is not horrible, lol.

My question was about the Arthur graphs that included the GFS and NHC track.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby NDG » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:21 am

tolakram wrote:
NDG wrote:The article is about the improvements of GFDL & HWRF, not about which model did the best among all.

My question was about the Arthur graphs that included the GFS and NHC track.

Oh, OK, I see your point now.
I am sure if the Euro would had been included it would had been the model with the least error.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#8 Postby tolakram » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:35 am

NDG wrote:Oh, OK, I see your point now.
I am sure if the Euro would had been included it would had been the model with the least error.

Well I don't know that, which is why I want to see it. The last graph I looked at with model comparisons showed that each model tended to have a zone of accuracy and I thought that was very interesting.

I found the entry.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMa ... rynum=2482

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby NDG » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:39 am

:uarrow: Yes, I remember 2012, that's the year that the GFS did better than the Euro overall, the Euro was very west biased that year, IMO.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”