Homespun Wisdom / Seasonal Activity Indicators?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
StarmanHDB
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Homespun Wisdom / Seasonal Activity Indicators?

#1 Postby StarmanHDB » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:51 am

Since arriving in South Florida in 2007, I have yet to experience a hurricane first hand (not that I necessarily want to, but obviously the fascination is there). That said, I have always wondered if active seasons have a certain "feel" that only true coastal natives are able to pick up on. For example, did the highly active years of 2004 and 2005 have a noticibly different "feeling" about them? Are there non-scientific seasonal indicators which those few rare individuals are able to read and if so, what are they? Just something about which I've always wondered.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Homespun Wisdom / Seasonal Activity Indicators?

#2 Postby Sanibel » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:37 pm

I think a lot of us like to think we can feel them but we're seldom right.

I remember it was hot at night and there was a weird solo electric thunderstorm cloud and still air right before Katrina.

Right before Charley it was muggy and calm the night before.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby brunota2003 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:30 pm

The only thing I remember about storms is the night before they hit...thinking how dead calm and clear it would be, compared to the chaos, rains, and thick cloud cover that I knew was to come...but there wasn't anything during the season that gave away that a storm would hit that year.
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby MGC » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:18 pm

I have been tracking the tropics since 1964. At the start of every season I wonder if this is the year. Sadly 2005 was my year. I can't say that I have a feeling that I will get hit by a hurricane any particular season. The longer you stay in south Fla the odds are you will get to experience a hurricane. Watch what you ask for.......MGC
0 likes   

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Indeed, if last year someone would have told me my region would experience the worst widespread damage from a tropical storm in at least a decade in early July of this year, I'd have laughed in their face. There was only one other reliable historical storm in recorded history of this nature, i.e. one so early, in late June of 1959. Before he hit the region I thought Arthur would be no big deal, just another early summer rainstorm left over from a decaying TC. My point being never say never with TCs. I find you often get hit hardest when you least expect it.
0 likes   

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Bocadude85 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:22 am

I remember 2004 and 2005 like it was yesterday. In June 2004 we had a damaging thunderstorm here that toppled over a rather large tree and again in July 2005 we had a damaging thunderstorm that took down many large branches from our mango tree(Wilma took the tree down a few months later). Fast forward to June 2014 and we were hit by the most damaging thunderstorm I have ever experienced in this area( took a large coconut palm down, our fence and part of our screen enclosure) Now I am not saying that there is any correlation between these destructive thunderstorms and hurricanes affecting our area but it does make me wonder if this year could be the year we get hit again.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Sanibel » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:24 am

That early east coast hurricane was unusual.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby SFLcane » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:51 am

Odds are remote in any given season your location sees hurricane conditions. Thankfully we can rewind the clock with these!

http://youtu.be/ITF3smyS4v8
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Sanibel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:27 am

I was going to post 2 days ago that it was getting that "feel" around here lately.

Now we have 92L.
0 likes   

'CaneFreak
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby 'CaneFreak » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:20 pm

Now that is what I call some serious science. :lol:

Sanibel wrote:I was going to post 2 days ago that it was getting that "feel" around here lately.

Now we have 92L.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”