Tips for documenting hurricane landfalls on video?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
p1nheadlarry
Category 2
Category 2

Tips for documenting hurricane landfalls on video?

#1 Postby p1nheadlarry » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:16 pm

Being from North Carolina and pursuing work in the meteorology field, I've been intrigued by hurricanes since Fran caused damage to our property when I was a little kid. I've always wanted to document the event (I guess storm chase is the term although I usually associate that with being in a car following a twister, maybe the movie shaped that thought) as soon as I had the means and knowledge of how storms behave with regards to my location. Had the first chance to attempt it with Karen as I was planning to make the trip to AL/FL but it fizzled out. Coincidentally, I was already going to get a lift to the Outer Banks to spend the Fourth of July with my family when Arthur threatened, so I finally got to try my hand.

Being a nighttime landfall and the fact that I didn't have a car, the video didn't turn out quite as I hoped. I know now that I need a tripod and a low light to produce quality shots in the dark. I had a light to use but now I know I'd need a second hand to accompany me for help and safety reasons. Not completely necessary but I would also like to have a barometer so I can record stats, buying a good anemometer is not currently in the cards nor is paying for internet on the go to have radar but the latter I'd like to have the money for eventually. Also in the future I'd like to meet some people who share this interest but there's plenty of time for that.

Any other bits of advice would be great. Here's the link to the highlights of Arthur's peak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qcTYYJQSBA
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”