Thoughts on rest of 2014 N Atlantic Hurricane season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SeGaBob

Re: Re:

#521 Postby SeGaBob » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:01 pm

Hammy wrote:
SeGaBob wrote:If everyone looks on page 25 you'll see on October 1st what I said when people were being negative. :)

In addition to that, I posted the Euro run, which showed a decent storm on the ten day, so the model called it pretty good.

I noticed that as well...I'd have to agree that it was pretty good with this one.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#522 Postby gatorcane » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:48 pm

wonder how many more recurves left this season? 2014="season of recurves", see map below. 90L (not shown) will likely add another recurve to the map similar to Cristobal/Bertha or maybe a little more east

0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#523 Postby Hammy » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:51 pm

as of next advisory the numbers will be 7/5/1, and we could still get a weak storm squeezed out of 91L down the road, as well as a hurricane (possibly major) out of Gonzalo.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#524 Postby Alyono » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:40 pm

Interesting observation about the past 2 seasons

Last year, we had a near normal number of storms, but way below normal in terms of hurricanes and intense hurricanes.

This year, likely will be a well below normal of named storms, but near normal number of hurricanes and intense hurricanes.

Very interesting
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Thoughts on rest of 2014 N Atlantic Hurricane season

#525 Postby chaser1 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:20 am

So here we are with the season winding down, yet for the moment its ramping UP. Assuming that we're at 7/5/2 for the season by weeks end, i'm pretty confident that we'll have at least 1 or 2 more logs to throw onto the fire before Nov. 30.

Now, that's not to suggest destruction and mayhem, but I remember very succinctly just a couple of weeks ago, all the gum flapping (by certain posters) about the season essentially being over - regardless whether there might even be be 1 or 2 stink bomb excuses for storms still yet to come. Gustavo however IS the point of the matter. It will be significant enough of a tropical cyclone to have a potentially significant impact to the Leewards, V.I., & Puerto Rico, even if primarily caused by flooding. Then you have the N.E. coast of the D.R. and possibly the Turks & Caicos which might be in the line of fire. With any luck however, impact there should be minimal. The potential threat to Bermuda might be quite significant.... especially if there were to be a Cat. 3 bearing down on the island.

Sure, this season has not produced quite the number of named storms compared to the average season, but c'mon?! Since when do we begin to assume that an average hurricane couldn't possibly form during the month of October? Whether or not 1-3 more additional named storms form during the remaining weeks of the 2014 Atlantic season, is itself of little consequence other than meriting scientific debate. What remains critical is the potential destruction and/or deaths potentially caused by that "one" single hurricane. This is why we so carefully watch, forecast, and track these things. It's not about the measly 6 bear deep in the woods, its about that one big hungry one that crosses into our world. This is why Hurricanes such as Andrew or Mitch will always be brought up in conversation. No one is expecting another Freakicane, but the point is such an event (with a weaker storm) is not at all unreasonable - at least until the end of the season is truly pretty close. Last time I checked, that date was still November 30.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

hurricanehunter69
Category 1
Category 1

#526 Postby hurricanehunter69 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:37 am

Where's all the season cancel posters now....? Oh...the October minnie peak HAPPENED! Hammy vs. convergence zone....C zone (knocked out!)
0 likes   

WPBWeather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#527 Postby WPBWeather » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:40 am

hurricanehunter69 wrote:Where's all the season cancel posters now....? Oh...the October minnie peak HAPPENED! Hammy vs. convergence zone....C zone (knocked out!)

I second that comment! HH69, you could add a few other well-known nay sayers too.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#528 Postby tolakram » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:09 pm

So does anyone care to declare the season over after Gonzalo? Maybe we can get 3 major hurricanes this season? :lol:

I just hope Gonzalo can miss Bermuda.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#529 Postby Hammy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:39 pm

Sort of interesting that for all the "earliest end ever" and "least active season ever" posts, we could conceivably still have an average season, we're only three storms and one hurricane away, and given that the MJO appears it'll be around for awhile, and with October acting like September, another storm or two this month and one next month is at least not out of the realm of possibility.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#530 Postby gigabite » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:12 pm

tolakram wrote:So does anyone care to declare the season over after Gonzalo? Maybe we can get 3 major hurricanes this season? :lol:

I just hope Gonzalo can miss Bermuda.

Hope so, can't wait to break into the hurricane goodies. 3 weeks of spam & eggs, spam & pineapple, spam spaghetti, grilled spam on toast...
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#531 Postby psyclone » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:03 pm

Breaking news: hurricane season is NOT over. My preseason guess of 7-3-1 has now busted badly and more storms are possible (per our friend the calendar)
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#532 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:05 pm

:uarrow: I wouldn't go with anymore than 2 more Tropical Storms, of course things could always change like they already have so stay alert.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#533 Postby Ntxw » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:15 am

With Gonzalo Atlantic will finally go above 50 ACE pts, about half of normal. 2014 has made up much ground October and no longer is in the lowest percentile <50%. This essentially removes 2013/2014 couplet from the bottom 5. The MJO, as hammy has said, has generated a Hurricane with each passage this year in the hotbed Bermuda Triangle.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Steve820
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#534 Postby Steve820 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Yeah this season's not over, we could still get a Hanna, Isaias, or if we're very lucky, Josephine before the season is actually over. Pre-season, I thought we would have another epic flop season, but guess what? We now have 2 majors! :D
0 likes   
Hurricanes are an amazing natural phenomena. While many are spiraling pits of evil that kill people or cause devastation, some are tame and stay clear of land.

I wish for you to :Bcool:

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#535 Postby Ptarmigan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:31 pm

Nothing is over until it is over. October has been acting more like August or September. Usually storms in October form in the Caribbean.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#536 Postby ConvergenceZone » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:50 pm

hurricanehunter69 wrote:Where's all the season cancel posters now....? Oh...the October minnie peak HAPPENED! Hammy vs. convergence zone....C zone (knocked out!)

Woop De Do! So we had 1(emphasis on 1) more storm then what I recently predicated...Oh I'm sooooooo impressed with 2014! NOT!
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#537 Postby gatorcane » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:54 pm

We have a chance of a BOC storm next week so that would add to the total for October which has been active to say the least.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#538 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:55 pm

gatorcane wrote:We have a chance of a BOC storm next week so that would add to the total.

Should it develop that is 8-)
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#539 Postby Hammy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:58 pm

What are the chances of exceeding 60 ACE this season? I think this would be a bit higher than what was forecast.

ConvergenceZone wrote:

Woop De Do! So we had 1(emphasis on 1) more storm then what I recently predicated...Oh I'm sooooooo impressed with 2014! NOT!

You also repeatedly said the season would produce "at most" one weak storm if anything. The season has definately not been unimpressive given the forecasts, it fell within what was expected, on the high side for the most part.

ConvergenceZone wrote:I guess we'll just have to wait and see if those say there will be a few more storms are correct or not....That will ultimately determine who was correct...

Indeed they were :D

7-12 Named Storms
3-6 Hurricanes
0-2 Major Hurricanes
Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) range of 40%-90% of the median.

Not sure what to make of "40%-90% of the median" in relation to where it's currently at, but the storms were within (though on the low end) of the forecast, and hurricanes/major were on the high end. And we could still get another storm or two before the season is over.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#540 Postby ConvergenceZone » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Still not impressed, but it takes ALOT to impress me.....Nobody can predict with certainty what's going to happen for sure, that's why they are predictions....You folks that said there would be more storms could have JUST AS EASILY BEEN WRONG AS WELL.....You basically had a 50% 50% of being wrong but as luck has it, you were correct this time.........
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”