Thoughts on rest of 2014 N Atlantic Hurricane season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Re:

#121 Postby somethingfunny » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:40 pm

northjaxpro wrote::uarrow:

And looking at long range guidance out 10 days from now, I don't see any thing drastically changing with the pattern of U.S. East Coast troughs. Things can change, but now that we are about to enter September, I think it is more likely that we are locked into this pattern through most of the rest of this season.

gatorcane wrote:What guidance are you looking at? Medium-range GFS guidance from the 12Z run shows the Bermuda High making an appearance for the forseeable future once Cristobal moves out. If it is correct, we haven't seen this pattern last this long the entire summer.

I think I'm looking at the same guidance as everybody is and I see a strong Bermuda high allowing storms to threaten the US and a trough along the East Coast balancing on a tightrope between protecting the shoreline or allowing a landfall. It's a stubborn trough and it's making every potential landfall questionable, and its making the Bermuda High remain stubbornly close enough to make every potential recurve questionable... I think you've both got it right. :sun:

I wonder how long it will be until this pattern shifts the mean trough position (presumably given the shift to autumn) farther offshore. Having this pattern at the peak of hurricane season makes me nervous, more nervous than previous years. Just because 3 out of 3 storms have bypassed or just delivered a glancing blow to the East Coast doesn't make me feel safer about the tropics throwing a 4th or 5th dart up that alley.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Thoughts on rest of 2014 N Atlantic Hurricane season

#122 Postby Hammy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:32 pm

Systems failing to get going has been brought up numerous times on here, and I've done a bit of digging and figured I'd throw some stats out there: since 2001 there have only been 17, and only 9 became majors, with all of those occurring either in 2003-04 or 2009-10. And of the 17 that became hurricanes in the MDR, Helene (06) and Ike did so above 18N, and Earl (10) did so at about 58W. 2001-02 and 2012 had no hurricanes there.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#123 Postby ConvergenceZone » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:03 am

Now that we got storm "C" out of the way, I think September will bee more active and bring "D", "E" and "F" and then October will finish the season with "G"...............
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#124 Postby Ntxw » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:30 am

The last KW for a whle is crossing Atlantic now. Sinking air will soon dominate with significant prolonged suppressed phase to follow. Cristobal's wave breaking event (lower heights up north) will add to raised heights below. ACE addition week 1 should be slightly below normal, week 2 and 3 below to well below normal imo.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#125 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:36 am

Ntxw wrote:The last KW for a whle is crossing Atlantic now. Sinking air will soon dominate with significant prolonged suppressed phase to follow. Cristobal's wave breaking event (lower heights up north) will add to raised heights below. ACE addition week 1 should be slightly below normal, week 2 and 3 below to well below normal imo.

That is why CSU went with a below average next two weeks.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#126 Postby blp » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:13 am

Ntxw wrote:The last KW for a whle is crossing Atlantic now. Sinking air will soon dominate with significant prolonged suppressed phase to follow. Cristobal's wave breaking event (lower heights up north) will add to raised heights below. ACE addition week 1 should be slightly below normal, week 2 and 3 below to well below normal imo.

Very good post. This is reflected on the models now which show lackluster development chances. The season will swing up and down based on the MJO and CCKW pulses. The dry air at the mid levels has also made a big upsurge the past 7 days.

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#127 Postby ConvergenceZone » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:25 am

cycloneye wrote:

That is why CSU went with a below average next two weeks.

It's not a good sign when they go for a below average prediction in the next 2 to 3 weeks when it's at the "peak" of hurricane season.... If this come true, I may have to drop my prediction from "G" down to about "E"...... Absolutely Incredible if that comes true!
Last edited by ConvergenceZone on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#128 Postby gatorcane » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:28 am

Look how quiet Africa is now as we head towards the peak: :eek:

0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#129 Postby euro6208 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:46 am

gatorcane wrote:Look how quiet Africa is now as we head towards the peak: :eek:

Can we just add the NATL to the SATL? :lol: Certainly seems like something is always negative there :lol:
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#130 Postby Frank2 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:24 am

The season might be close to being over - it seems the active period was very surpressed and the less active period hurricane-free, and if true the long-term forecasts were wrong again, even with their reduced numbers. Forecasters need to stop issuing these useless 2,160-hour (3-month) forecasts, because they only confuse the public and the media (who are confused enough)...
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#131 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:40 am

We'll be lucky if we see 4 more named systems at the pace we are going & now that the MJO is getting out of phase 2 into the peak of the hurricane season.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#132 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:28 am

With the MJO in a very favorable phase much of August with very good KW (the two are often related) and we managed only one system that produced still below average ACE shows how controlling the background state of the Atlantic is. The odds of below 50 ACE season points is growing increasingly likely. In about two weeks normal will be near 50.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#133 Postby ConvergenceZone » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:21 am

NDG wrote:We'll be lucky if we see 4 more named systems at the pace we are going & now that the MJO is getting out of phase 2 into the peak of the hurricane season.

I agree, I'm still shocked and how many people over the last month or two called for us to reach letter 'K' higher this year....You can tell the way that the everything was setting up with all of the negative factors that there was no way that was going to happen....And yet people were telling me that I was way too low with my "G" prediction 8-)
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#134 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:03 am

G or H looks and looked reasonable to me Zone unless 2002 ends up being an analog as many have suggested. I'm not sure I agree, but I'm open minded. That year featured a North Gulf hit west of here in October (Lili) which is fairly rare at least in most of our lifetimes. Amazing how dry continental Africa has become, so the wave train, after the next 3 or 4 crossing the basin or the one yet to emerge, is cut off for at least a while if not for the season after these impulses. This means source region of any future systems would not be African. Speaking of which, my Gulf Surge 2 is on the map. It looks to be upper energy, but nice call by NAM early this week and GFS last weekend. It's pretty dark gray to the south and southwest of here right now.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/ECIR4.html

The flip side of the argument was the downcasts of letters C, D or E or the idea we were in some repetitive winter pattern. That, IMHO was equally preposterous. You get to late summer however you get there. Patterns are always evolving. The only year I would have bought that argument was either 2000 or 2001 where the jetstream set up near the Yucatan. That was freakish and didn't mean cold for the deep south - just more of a mid-continental pattern displaced several hundred miles south.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#135 Postby Hammy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:08 pm

I'll throw my two cents in as far as some of the forecasts being made here, I'm seeing some that can't see past the one- or two-week pattern. Last year there were several weak storms, and while the peak didn't produce much, it still produced the two strongest storms of the season (weak as they were.) Going by current conditions is never a good idea when making a forecast, and some don't see anything on the models and decide to go by that, despite the fact that none of the storms that formed this year showed up beyond 6-8 days prior, regardless of which model it was. The season is at it's half-way point, and the outlooks for the next two weeks are below average, but they don't say anything beyond that two week period. Given that conditions this year are more favorable for strengthening systems than last year (we've had three hurricanes, including one Cat 2 with the outside possibility that Cristobal was as well) whereas last year we had none. So given those two hurricanes we had in September, It's very reasonable to assume we could have at least 1-2 this year, and probably one more in October, so 8-9 storms with 5-6 hurricanes and (maybe) one major seems to me to be the most rational answer.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#136 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:37 pm

:uarrow: This is not last year this is 2014. Lets stop comparing the two. That said, during last year's peak we had the MJO move through favorable phases in early Sept and managed a couple. This year the favorable phase occured a few weeks sooner (just now) and will take 25-40 days to cross the globe. With our limited skills we can only look 1-2 weeks for the global wind oscillations to see if the atmosphere will be favorable or unfavorable. This is not to say rogue development can't happen. Other than that its just biases whether you want development or not.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#137 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:42 pm

Those are all valid points Hammy. Cristobal, whether it technically did or didn't reach Category 2, probably would have had it made it 125-150 miles west which is what I thought would happen (though I still had it staying offshore of both FL and NC). 150 miles is insignificant big picture, but it admittedly means everything to coastal regions. I see you are putting a high percentage of named storms making it to hurricane, and I guess 3 of 3 provides a jump start for both number of hurricanes and overall percentages. I would have thought 50% or less based on the likelihood of closer in stuff this year, but as I said, your points are valid as usual.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#138 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:49 pm

ntwx, unless you were referring to a different poster (you had the up arrow) I didn't get that Hammy was comparing 13 and 14 as equal or equal comparisons. I only saw the reference to the peak.
0 likes   

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#139 Postby ninel conde » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:27 pm

would be shocked if sept was 0/0/0. never seen it so hostile at the supposed peak of the season. wont come close to last seasons weak inflated numbers as the horrid conditions are far more widespread.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#140 Postby Hammy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:54 pm

ninel conde wrote:would be shocked if sept was 0/0/0. never seen it so hostile at the supposed peak of the season. wont come close to last seasons weak inflated numbers as the horrid conditions are far more widespread.

Conditions are obviously better than last year otherwise we would not have had three hurricanes. And don't forget the MDR is not the only place in the Atlantic, and conditions are far better than last year outside of it.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”